Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eagle Heights Wildlife Park - Kent Watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else been here? I went the other day and thought it was great. They do bird displays and stuff, got cheetahs and meerkats and reptiles and huskies...wondering if anyone else has been or heard of it?

They're also trying to raise money to start a cheetah breeding programme. On 26th July they're having this massive open day, with stalls and activities, and they're bringing their cheetah out of the enclosure to run on a zip wire, so everyone can see how a cheetah hunts. :woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    ...They make you pay to see domestic dogs that I could see in my own house for free?

And they're making a cheetah act like a greyhound on a track? If you want to see how a cheetah hunts, watch an animal documentary.

I don't like the sound of that place...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zastrugi)
    ...They make you pay to see domestic dogs that I could see in my own house for free?

And they're making a cheetah act like a greyhound on a track? If you want to see how a cheetah hunts, watch an animal documentary.

I don't like the sound of that place...
    Would you rather the cheetah was cooped up in the enclosure, with nothing to do?
    At least the cheetah should enjoy the chase of getting the prey- it's done daily.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7557370.stm

I assume with the huskies they show you how the dogs work, which is great fun! The dogs love it, doing what they are bred to do.
    I do agree though that this possibly shouldn't be done in a wildlife park- it's more suited to dog shows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    Would you rather the cheetah was cooped up in the enclosure, with nothing to do?
    At least the cheetah should enjoy the chase of getting the prey- it's done daily.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7557370.stm

I assume with the huskies they show you how the dogs work, which is great fun! The dogs love it, doing what they are bred to do.
    I do agree though that this possibly shouldn't be done in a wildlife park- it's more suited to dog shows
    Hmm, it doesn't look as bad as I was imagining it. I guess it's getting him moving a bit more than he might in an enclosure, but I still don't like the idea of him being used to bring in customers. I don't know, I've never really liked the idea of zoos much, a lot of them seem to exploit the animals just to make money so I'm always skeptical about things like this, it'd be so easy to take it that one step too far.

Same with the huskies really, if they're just being used to drag people round... I know they love to pull, I have one myself, (he's a nutter lol) but I don't think that a wildlife centre is the right place for it, especially since they're not wild

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it doesn't look as bad as I was imagining it. I guess it's getting him moving a bit more than he might in an enclosure, but I still don't like the idea of him being used to bring in customers. I don't know, I've never really liked the idea of zoos much, a lot of them seem to exploit the animals just to make money so I'm always skeptical about things like this, it'd be so easy to take it that one step too far.

Same with the huskies really, if they're just being used to drag people round... I know they love to pull, I have one myself, (he's a nutter lol) but I don't think that a wildlife centre is the right place for it, especially since they're not wild
    I do agree, yes. If I had my way there wouldn't be zoos- wild animals would remain wild, we have enough domesticated animals to not need wild animals any longer. As for endangered species etc I think we should just take a picture of them, release them to the wild to let them have the opportunity to thrive again, if not then it's just the way nature goes.
    Plenty of species have gone extinct before now, I don't understand the hype around why we have to keep them alive now.

However, obviously I'm not going to have my way, so I only agree with them if they can prove they are providing physiological and psychological requirements of the animals- the cheetah is one thing they can do to encourage this.
    We should be grateful zoos have changed- years ago bears were kept in crates, fed, possibly fought and that was their life. At least now zoos understand more about each animal to make a decision as to what they can do for it.

ReputationRep:

Hmm guess I'll put in my opinion then, and having experienced the place perhaps can shed some more light.

The cheetah is used to bring in people to the centre, not necessarily customers. He is the figurehead of an African charity called the cheetah conservation fund, who breed guard dogs to scare cheetahs away from livestock in Africa, so farmers don't have to shoot them. The park has also set up their own charity, The Boumani Fund, which plans to start a breeding programme and re-introduce the cubs into Gambia.

This is the same for all zoos, they are all either philanthropic (non-profit making), or charities. So your comment on them exploiting animals is completely silly really, it's for the greater good.

Also, seeing as you have a husky yourself, you should understand their need to pull. You said he's a nutter, clearly you don't let him pull. Its creuller to keep a dog locked up in a house all day when all it wants to do is run. Plus, huskies are only semi-domestic. They live free in packs for around 5 months a year.

Get yer facts straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    I do agree, yes. If I had my way there wouldn't be zoos- wild animals would remain wild, we have enough domesticated animals to not need wild animals any longer. As for endangered species etc I think we should just take a picture of them, release them to the wild to let them have the opportunity to thrive again, if not then it's just the way nature goes.
    Plenty of species have gone extinct before now, I don't understand the hype around why we have to keep them alive now.

However, obviously I'm not going to have my way, so I only agree with them if they can prove they are providing physiological and psychological requirements of the animals- the cheetah is one thing they can do to encourage this.
    We should be grateful zoos have changed- years ago bears were kept in crates, fed, possibly fought and that was their life. At least now zoos understand more about each animal to make a decision as to what they can do for it.
    Hmm, I don't agree with you about just letting endangered species become extinct. I think it's our responsibility to prevent that from happening, they were here first and humans just came along and destroyed their homes etc etc so it's only fair.
    Yeah conditions have improved in the UK overall, it's one small mercy. If only the rest of the world would follow suit, in some places abroad the conditions of some animals are apalling, it just makes you want to cry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just_max1234)
    Hmm guess I'll put in my opinion then, and having experienced the place perhaps can shed some more light.

The cheetah is used to bring in people to the centre, not necessarily customers. He is the figurehead of an African charity called the cheetah conservation fund, who breed guard dogs to scare cheetahs away from livestock in Africa, so farmers don't have to shoot them. The park has also set up their own charity, The Boumani Fund, which plans to start a breeding programme and re-introduce the cubs into Gambia.

This is the same for all zoos, they are all either philanthropic (non-profit making), or charities. So your comment on them exploiting animals is completely silly really, it's for the greater good.
    Ok, I understand that it's (supposedly) for a good cause, and the link pawsies put up gave me a better impression of that place and the cat is clearly happy. I have, however, seen a lot of zoos which do not seem to have the best interests of the animals at heart. Admittedly I haven't seen this in the UK since I was small, but in some countries abroad it's like in a time capsule, and some animals are definitely used to line their pockets, not to help with conservation. This is why I'm always so skeptical about places like this, from the outside it can seem like a good idea but the reality is often far from ideal.
    (Original post by just_max1234)
    Also, seeing as you have a husky yourself, you should understand their need to pull. You said he's a nutter, clearly you don't let him pull. Its creuller to keep a dog locked up in a house all day when all it wants to do is run. Plus, huskies are only semi-domestic. They live free in packs for around 5 months a year.

Get yer facts straight.
    Of course I understand that my dog both loves and needs to pull. I'm not delusional. Huskies are nutters regardless of the amount of running they do, they're literally on the go non-stop. How dare you insinuate that I don't look after my dog, he is perfectly well looked after, probably more so than the vast majority. My dog isn't locked up in the house all day, neither is he not allowed to pull. We actually do cani-cross with him every day, as well as his customary 2 and a half hours + of normal walking and hours of playing fetch. If my dog weren't looked after, he'd have wrecked the house like the myriad houses of other husky owners I know, who think a half hour jaunt every other day is enough.

Also, get YOUR facts straight. Siberian huskies are completely domesticated, they just exhibit more wolfish traits than most other dog breeds. If you mean the huskies used in siberia etc a lot of those are bred with wolves.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.