Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Killings in the UK are lowest in 20 years - so why are people scared? Watch

ReputationRep:
    There were 136 fewer killings in 2008/9 compared to a year earlier; overall crime is down by 5% and violent crime has fallen by 6%; gun crime has seen a 17% fall; the number of attempted murders is also down 7%; etc. There were rises in some other crimes but I'd argue that these figures generally invoke optimism - yet people seem ever more concerned about crime.

Why?

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8153392.stm

ReputationRep:
    Here's why.

ReputationRep:
    i do not know :moon:

most murders are gang related anyway

ReputationRep:
    Because statistics lie. 92.3% of statistics are actually made up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jayshah31)
    Because statistics lie. 92.3% of statistics are actually made up.
    I think it's more like 34.7% of statistics are made up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asert)
    Here's why.
    I also think tabloids (and the Daily Mail in particular) are partly to blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asert)
    Here's why.
    OMG!!! Jennifer has fallen in Love with Co-star

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because the killings that do occur have shifted to involve more very young people?

ReputationRep:
    Due to the fact that our media sells more papers by whipping up a frenzy and inducing fear to the public.

ReputationRep:
    Disraeli:

There are three types of lies; lies, damned lies and statistics.

ReputationRep:
    These "it's the Daily Mail" responses won't do. The Daily Mail is a constant, it doesn't explain why things have changed over time - it's been the way it is since time immemorial, only with a *lower* circulation now than ever before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JectioN)
    There were 136 fewer killings in 2008/9 compared to a year earlier; overall crime is down by 5% and violent crime has fallen by 6%; gun crime has seen a 17% fall; the number of attempted murders is also down 7%; etc. There were rises in some other crimes but I'd argue that these figures generally invoke optimism - yet people seem ever more concerned about crime.

Why?

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8153392.stm
    Statistics can be manipulated to show any trend (and routinely are). You can't always believe what you read. Politics plays a huge role in what gets reported, targeted, etc. I wouldn't say crime is falling, in fact I'd say it is increasing, but it is reported in such a way that we're not aware of it.

Let's give an example, there's a big problem with burglaries, the voters get pissed off and complain to their local MPs. These MPs put pressure on the Police who then divert resources away from some areas to deal with more 'popular' ones. Awesome, burglaries go down and everyone's happy. What about domestic violence, rapes, knife crime, etc? Well they're neglected and/or ignored for the time being. Then the main focus becomes knife crime, and round it goes again.

ReputationRep:
    Because crime is still relatively high. This is just a statistic, it's like saying "Bombings in Iraq are lowest in 2 years", anything can be made to sound positive but in reality it's not the case at all. I don't know about the general public but I certainly know that I'm concerned about the crime in this country because I compare it to other countries (switzerland, finland, japan, singapore) that all have hardly any crime and they manage to maintain it without outrageous laws (which is why I don't really compare it to the U.A.E, Saudi Arabia etc).
    I also don't like the name 'Broken Britain', it annoys me as it makes Britain seem like a crack den :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Labour propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    Its called scare mongering.

For there to be a community - there has to be an "evil figure" whether its the "devil" from which the idea is spawned from, or the "taliban" or high rates of murders, which in this case isn't true.

Fear, sells papers, makes money, keeps governments in power.

ReputationRep:
    I know where I live, that lots of gang on gang related violence and shootings have made people quite paranoid. I then think others hear about everything going on in certain areas and assume that is happening where they are too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C++Hacker)
    I'm concerned about the crime in this country because I compare it to other countries (switzerland, finland, japan, singapore) that all have hardly any crime and they manage to maintain it without outrageous laws (which is why I don't really compare it to the U.A.E, Saudi Arabia etc).
    Crime may be more prevalent in the United Kingdom than it is in countries such as Switzerland, however, no one is arguing that the situation in the UK is all rosy when it comes to crime. I'm only criticisng the scaremongering that is going on with the support of statistics which clearly show that crime, generally speaking, is falling.

P.S. I think most people would put Singapore in the U.A.E. and Saudi Arabia category when it comes to outrageous laws. With regards to Japan, they are culturally different from the United Kingdom so perhaps it's unwise to compare it to the United Kingdom.

ReputationRep:
    we live in a age where the media love's scaring people, so as one happens on the front of newspaper, broken Britain takes another live, and people believe what they read and don't to anyone you say different, cos they think the government are making them as a cover it up, cos that's what the papers says

these gang related violence, but there has always been gang related violence oh wow the shock, be it mods and rockers from the 60's to what we have now

ReputationRep:
    terrorism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Due to the fact that our media sells more papers by whipping up a frenzy and inducing fear to the public.
    (Original post by robinson999)
    what these guys said.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.