Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to be skinny-ish again :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for any advice on weight loss really. This time about a year ago I was 9 stone 2 (Height 5ft9), and i've put on so much weight it's really bothering me, I now weigh 10stone2 and I feel horrible. I think I gained weight due to emotional issues/stress but feel as now it's the summer I have nothing holding me back.

So any food advice/exercise advice or a routine would be greatly appreciated. I basically want to look quite skinny, my figure is naturally quite slim/athletic anyway, but as of late I just feel huge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerry595)
    I'm looking for any advice on weight loss really. This time about a year ago I was 9 stone 2 (Height 5ft9), and i've put on so much weight it's really bothering me, I now weigh 10stone2 and I feel horrible. I think I gained weight due to emotional issues/stress but feel as now it's the summer I have nothing holding me back.

So any food advice/exercise advice or a routine would be greatly appreciated. I basically want to look quite skinny, my figure is naturally quite slim/athletic anyway, but as of late I just feel huge.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=for+the+girls

Lift weights. Watch what you eat.

ReputationRep:
    Lift weights, do HIIT, eat about 500 calories below your Basic Metabolic Rate, wait.

Oh, and use the search function.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gazcobain)
    Lift weights, do HIIT, eat about 500 calories below your Basic Metabolic Rate, wait.

Oh, and use the search function.
    Uhm, what? You eat above your BMR but below your Daily Usage...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Uhm, what? You eat above your BMR but below your Daily Usage...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for advice so far, am a little confused with the BMR comment.. ? I want a practical lifestyle change that I know I will be able to keep to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    I was always under the impression that BMR was an accurate estimate of how much energy your body metabolises in a day if you do no activity and that for effective weight loss you should eat it or slightly above to minimize any muscle loss. The energy deficit comes from the activity you do throughout the day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    I was always under the impression that BMR was an accurate estimate of how much energy your body metabolises in a day if you do no activity and that for effective weight loss you should eat it or slightly above to minimize any muscle loss. The energy deficit comes from the activity you do throughout the day?
    That would mean to lose 2lbs a week you'd have to do 1000 cals worth of exercise 7 days a week..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mituozo)
    That would mean to lose 2lbs a week you'd have to do 1000 cals worth of exercise 7 days a week..

Your body burns about 2000 calories a day even if you do nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessikar)
    Your body burns about 2000 calories a day even if you do nothing.
    Yes.. But if you eat 2000 calories that's irrelevant. Which is what the above poster said. If you eat 2000 calories a day, and your BMR is 2000 calories a day, you'd have to do 1000 calories of exercise a day to lose 2lbs a week.

ReputationRep:
    what if you only eat around 1200 calories a day normally? This is how much I eat in a day. not because I'm dieting, it's just what I always eat. Is it safe for me, if I wanted to lose weight, to cut my calories to 1000 a day?

ReputationRep:
    No, do more excersize . . . . .

ReputationRep:
    Yes.. But if you eat 2000 calories that's irrelevant. Which is what the above poster said. If you eat 2000 calories a day, and your BMR is 2000 calories a day, you'd have to do 1000 calories of exercise a day to lose 2lbs a week.
    Negative. 1,000 calories a day = 2lbs fat, not 2lbs. Weight loss is water and lean mass as well as fat, which is why people on less than 1,000kcal deficits can lose less or often much more than 2lbs.

ReputationRep:
    I think I will just cut my calorie intake to 1000 per day and exercise a few times a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerry595)
    I think I will just cut my calorie intake to 1000 per day and exercise a few times a week.
    If you're exercising moderately your BMR x activity will be ~2,300Kcal. You will lose weight on 1,800Kcal. 1,000Kcal is far too drastic a cut.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I would be losing weight quickly enough on 1,800Kcal When I was dieting before I managed on 400 a day for months, and I loved being skinny. So 1000 seems like a good amount.

ReputationRep:
    I have my own formula for these situations

Girls + Weight Loss = Crazy and stupid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Negative. 1,000 calories a day = 2lbs fat, not 2lbs. Weight loss is water and lean mass as well as fat, which is why people on less than 1,000kcal deficits can lose less or often much more than 2lbs.
    Yeah, but you want to lose 2lbs of fat a week, not 2lbs of water or whatever else. I could lose weight eating 4000 calories a day and not drinking any water, but it'd be absolutely pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but you want to lose 2lbs of fat a week, not 2lbs of water or whatever else. I could lose weight eating 4000 calories a day and not drinking any water, but it'd be absolutely pointless.
    Water loss is unavoidable, it comes with losing mass. LBM is unavoidable to a point too. I'm just making the point that you can lose 2lbs a week on less than a 1000Kcal deficit. You said you had to create a deficit of 1,000 to lose 2lbs, not true.

A deficit of 1,000 will be more than 2lbs because it will inevitably include water and LBM, as well as the fact that how your diet and exercise will determine what comes off too. It won't necessarily be 2lbs of fat, it will be 2lbs mass.

Plus, I seriously doubt you'd lose weight eating 4,000Kcal a day. Food still contains water, and depriving yourself of it only makes you retain it more.

ReputationRep:
    Less sugar. You'd be surprised how much you consume through fruit juices and such. Stick to water, it really does wonders.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.