Turn on thread page Beta

Want to be skinny-ish again :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Lol at all the mal-informed people talking about something they know nothing about!
    Firstly its BASAL METOBLIC RATE not basic

please research your basic biology before spatting *****.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jessikar)
    Your body burns about 2000 calories a day even if you do nothing.
    That's not true! Only if you have an extremely high metabolism. It burns around 1400 if you're female...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    That's not true! Only if you have an extremely high metabolism. It burns around 1400 if you're female...
    That's not true either! It can vary to such a degree that there's little point quoting any sort of figure. people should find out for themselves what it is.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    That's not true either! It can vary to such a degree that there's little point quoting any sort of figure. people should find out for themselves what it is.
    When I was quite ill a while ago I was referred to a very well-established nutritionist/doctor, and that's what I was told....

But it probably does vary from person to person though.

ReputationRep:
    When I was quite ill a while ago I was referred to a very well-established nutritionist/doctor, and that's what I was told....

But it probably does vary from person to person though.
    Well they were wrong then. It might have been right for you (and I doubt it, unless you're very skinny and very inactive), but almost every girl who comes on here asking for diet advice has an RDA much closer to 2,000Kcal and often in excess of.

The bottom line is to work it out for yourself because it does vary from person to person, no 'probably' about it.

ReputationRep:
    Put down the fork!

I joke, I just love that.
    =]

But, you know, harshness aside there is truth in it.

>.>
    <.<

ReputationRep:
    Don't we all babe...don't we all :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    Well they were wrong then. It might have been right for you (and I doubt it, unless you're very skinny and very inactive), but almost every girl who comes on here asking for diet advice has a BMR much closer to 2,000Kcal and often in excess of.

The bottom line is to work it out for yourself because it does vary from person to person, no 'probably' about it.
    What on earth? Mine was 1400 :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerry595)
    I'm looking for any advice on weight loss really. This time about a year ago I was 9 stone 2 (Height 5ft9), and i've put on so much weight it's really bothering me, I now weigh 10stone2 and I feel horrible. I think I gained weight due to emotional issues/stress but feel as now it's the summer I have nothing holding me back.

So any food advice/exercise advice or a routine would be greatly appreciated. I basically want to look quite skinny, my figure is naturally quite slim/athletic anyway, but as of late I just feel huge.

You may find this helpful:
    http://www25.wolframalpha.com/input/...te.H_5+ft+9+in
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well they were wrong then. It might have been right for you (and I doubt it, unless you're very skinny and very inactive), but almost every girl who comes on here asking for diet advice has a BMR much closer to 2,000Kcal and often in excess of.

I got a professional evaluation, and was told it was around 1300 for all girls.

It wouldn't make much sense though- if the recommended daily intake is 2000kcal and that's how much we burn without doing anything, then technically we'd be losing weight every day...

ReputationRep:
    I got a professional evaluation, and was told it was around 1300 for all girls.

It wouldn't make much sense though- if the recommended daily intake is 2000kcal and that's how much we burn without doing anything, then technically we'd be losing weight every day...
    Again, I point you to my link
    And no it's not the same for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerry595)
    I'm looking for any advice on weight loss really. This time about a year ago I was 9 stone 2 (Height 5ft9), and i've put on so much weight it's really bothering me, I now weigh 10stone2 and I feel horrible. I think I gained weight due to emotional issues/stress but feel as now it's the summer I have nothing holding me back.

So any food advice/exercise advice or a routine would be greatly appreciated. I basically want to look quite skinny, my figure is naturally quite slim/athletic anyway, but as of late I just feel huge.

I would advise eating the same as you do currently but increasing activity.

You'll still born more calories than you eat, but you'll also still be getting enough nutrients that you aren't a starving tired lethargic thing.

The increased activity will also help develop your fitness, generally improving your heart, lungs and circulatory system meaning your less likely to get ill. It should also help improve the amount of muscle on your body without you getting any bigger, just a little more defined for that athletic look.

It's much much better than starving your body. And you'll probably find you'll enjoy doing a bit of extra activity, endorphins are great . It'll help you feel more confident too!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    Again, I point you to my link
    And no it's not the same for everyone.
    I accidentally put in 18 stone and was like 'woah'

But, yes it's not the same for everyone, but it certainly isn't 2000 kcal if you're sat around doing NOTHING.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper

http://health.discovery.com/tools/ca...sal/basal.html

According to this, a girl who's 5'5", 130lbs, and 20 years old (ie. a pretty average girl) would have a BMR of 1424.3.

It would be 2000 for a girl who's 6'0" and weighs 260 pounds.

ReputationRep:
    Im lost...

Can someone please explain to me what all this BMR LBF blah blah blah is? :confused:

Im trying to lose weight as well but obviously i don't know the first thing of how to go about it lol.

I've just been trying to eat healthily. Im 5 ft 6 and i weigh 9st and 3 pounds.

Can someone tell me what to do please! :erm:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Curly A)
    Im lost...

Can someone please explain to me what all this BMR LBF blah blah blah is?

Im trying to lose weight as well but obviously i don't know the first thing of how to go about it lol.

Can someone tell me what to do please!
    BMR is how many calories you would burn if you stayed in bed all day doing nothing/sleeping. In other words, it's the amount of calories your body needs just to maintain its basic functions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    BMR is how many calories you would burn if you stayed in bed all day doing nothing/sleeping. In other words, it's the amount of calories your body needs just to maintain its basic functions.

ooohhhh ok. Thank you

Now how do i find out what my BMR is??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Curly A)
    Im lost...

Can someone please explain to me what all this BMR LBF blah blah blah is? :confused:

Can someone tell me what to do please! :erm:
    http://www25.wolframalpha.com/input/...te.H_5+ft+6+in

ReputationRep:
    I worked out my BMR is something like 1580 at the moment but that is if I do no exercise and sit down all day... I exercise 4/5 days a week so it must be about 2100+.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by polka_dott)
    I worked out my BMR is something like 1580 at the moment but that is if I do no exercise and sit down all day... I exercise 4/5 days a week so it must be about 2100+.
    That is the definition of BMR. So your BMR wouldn't be 2100+ in any case.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.