Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to be skinny-ish again :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've dieting is not the way to go since it puts your body into 'starvation mode' so when you do eat, you're body stores more fat from the food. Instead eat little but often and force to eat food that you don't like. Have a big breakfast, apparently it boosts your metabolism. And just generally stay active. Walk instead of using the car, do house work, stay outdoors. And remember that it takes time for the weight to drop so don;t get disheartened.

Hope you do a better job than me. I'm getting a double chin!!!

ReputationRep:
    My gym workout today was ;

15mins running treadmill
    weights
    12 mins crosstrainer
    weights
    5 min stepper

I burnt 350 calories, and have eaten around 700 today.

Any advice on how to improve my workout at all? Obviously it needs to be something I can generally enjoy/keep up a few times a week every week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerry595)

15mins running treadmill
    weights
    12 mins crosstrainer
    weights
    5 min stepper

Any advice on how to improve my workout at all? Obviously it needs to be something I can generally enjoy/keep up a few times a week every week?
    Proper weights (eg. squats, deadlifts, overhead press)? Or 1kg dumbbell curls and the adductor machine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    I got a professional evaluation, and was told it was around 1300 for all girls.

It wouldn't make much sense though- if the recommended daily intake is 2000kcal and that's how much we burn without doing anything, then technically we'd be losing weight every day...
    I don't understand it either, because in France they use 1800 for women, y'know on food packets and that where they say how much of your daily allowance something is, and then 2000 for men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    What on earth? Mine was 1400 :emo:
    Stats?

(Original post by learner_dancer)
    I got a professional evaluation, and was told it was around 1300 for all girls.

It wouldn't make much sense though- if the recommended daily intake is 2000kcal and that's how much we burn without doing anything, then technically we'd be losing weight every day...
    It's wrong then. RDA doesn't mean anything, RDA is based on averages, it doesn't apply and it is more or less a good figure to aim for anyway because what you're forgetting is that BMR has to be multiplied to factor in activity levels.

(Original post by la fille danse)
    http://health.discovery.com/tools/ca...sal/basal.html

According to this, a girl who's 5'5", 130lbs, and 20 years old (ie. a pretty average girl) would have a BMR of 1424.3.

It would be 2000 for a girl who's 6'0" and weighs 260 pounds.

If you stayed in bed all day, literally didn't move maybe. Everyone who manages to make it out of bed has to multiply that by 1.2, anyone with a job or doing some walking or housework will have to multiply by 1.375, moderate exercise three times a week (which most girls here trying to lose weight do at the very least) multiply by 1.55 and it carries on.

I'm right. Nobody here seems to understand daily calorie needs or BMR which is where the confusion comes from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Stats?
    Like height and weight and such? I am 18, 5'3" and 50kg.

ReputationRep:
    Stats?

It's wrong then. RDA doesn't mean anything, RDA is based on averages, it doesn't apply and it is more or less a good figure to aim for anyway because what you're forgetting is that BMR has to be multiplied to factor in activity levels.

If you stayed in bed all day, literally didn't move maybe. Everyone who manages to make it out of bed has to multiply that by 1.2, anyone with a job or doing some walking or housework will have to multiply by 1.375, moderate exercise three times a week (which most girls here trying to lose weight do at the very least) multiply by 1.55 and it carries on.

I'm right. Nobody here seems to understand daily calorie needs or BMR which is where the confusion comes from.
    Also, dude, you do realise BMR is the amount if you stayed in bed all day, hence basal metabolic rate. It is just the amount of calories needed to sustain necessary activities like respiration and stuff so i don't really know what you're criticising tbh.

'Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is the amount of energy expended while at rest in a neutrally temperate environment, in the post-absorptive state (meaning that the digestive system is inactive, which requires about twelve hours of fasting in humans). The release of energy in this state is sufficient only for the functioning of the vital organs, such as the heart, lungs, brain and the rest of the nervous system, liver, kidneys, sex organs, muscles and skin. BMR decreases with age and with the loss of lean body mass. Increasing muscle mass increases BMR.'

It's basic biology. The level of activity has **** all to do with BMR and so you don't need to multiply BMR by anything. Obviously if you're exercising you will increase your calorie consumption but this is nothing to do with BMR since it's not the basic needs of the body :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Like height and weight and such? I am 18, 5'3" and 50kg.
    Your sedentary calorie needs are 1,615Kcal. If you're lightly active it's 1,850 and if you go to the gym three or four times a week (moderately active) it's 2,085.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper

:rofl:

Your BMR is the amount of calories you burn IF you stay in bed all day, literally not moving. That is the definition of BMR. If you multiply it by 1.2 or anything else, then it ceases to be your BMR.

Evidently you're confusing BMR with "recommended caloric intake". And you're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Also, dude, you do realise BMR is the amount if you stayed in bed all day, hence basal metabolic rate. It is just the amount of calories needed to sustain necessary activities like respiration and stuff so i don't really know what you're criticising tbh.
    Yes, but most people seem to think that that's their daily calorie needs. Who stays in bed all day and does nothing but breathe? It has to be multiplied by 1.2 at the minimum, hence why barely any girls will need to eat only 1,300Kcal a day to maintain weight like some here are proposing.

ReputationRep:
    Your sedentary calorie needs are 1,615Kcal. If you're lightly active it's 1,850 and if you go to the gym three or four times a week (moderately active) it's 2,085.
    Read my post above. That's still nothing to do with BMR though apart from the sedentary part. I just calculated my BMR and got just below 1400.

ReputationRep:
    I looked at the title to the thread and thought; a girl has made it. Why is it that women appear so conscious about their weight?

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Your BMR is the amount of calories you burn IF you stay in bed all day, literally not moving. That is the definition of BMR. If you multiply it by 1.2 or anything else, then it ceases to be your BMR.

Evidently you're confusing BMR with "recommended caloric intake". And you're wrong.
    How am I wrong? I'm acknowledging that staying in bed all day is your BMR just as you are (also your daily calorie needs if you do nothing). You have to multiply your BMR by a number to work out your daily calorie needs, which is at a minimum 1.2. I'm not saying it's still your BMR. Nobody should be eating their BMR and no more, that's what I'm trying to get across.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but most people seem to think that that's their daily calorie needs. Who stays in bed all day and does nothing but breathe? It has to be multiplied by 1.2 at the minimum, hence why barely any girls will need to eat only 1,300Kcal a day to maintain weight like some here are proposing.
    Yeah, that's fair enough but you appeared to be calling it BMR so i think people were getting the impression that they were wrong about the BMR when they probably weren't. And tbh, I maintain my weight eating that much and exercising which I don't really get in that case.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    How am I wrong? I'm acknowledging that staying in bed all day is your BMR just as you are (also your daily calorie needs if you do nothing). You have to multiply your BMR by a number to work out your daily calorie needs, which is at a minimum 1.2. I'm not saying it's still your BMR. Nobody should be eating their BMR and no more, that's what I'm trying to get across.
    You said: "almost every girl who comes on here asking for diet advice has a BMR much closer to 2,000Kcal and often in excess of."

That is wrong. A girl would have to be gigantic to have a BMR of 2000.

Nobody said that an average girl's daily caloric needs are 1400. Somebody said that the average girl's BMR is 1400, and you said that was wrong.

Nobody could have known that you meant something completely different from what you said...

ReputationRep:
    You said: "almost every girl who comes on here asking for diet advice has a BMR much closer to 2,000Kcal and often in excess of."

Nobody said that an average girl's daily caloric needs are 1400. Somebody said that the average girl's BMR is 1400, and you said that was wrong.

Nobody could have known that you meant something completely different from what you said...
    This exactly.

ReputationRep:

****, typo. The confusion's come out of people talking about RDA meaning BMR and the other way around, the definition of doing 'nothing' e.t.c. I could have been clearer. By nothing I thought she meant nothing as in being sedentary, not literally nothing i.e. just breathing. I'm sure most people would assume the same; you say 'you only need to eat this doing nothing, not 2,000' you're mixing up RDA and BMR for a start and you'd assume sedentary before bed-ridden. Hence, confusion.

Look, we're both right, I know what BMR and calorie needs are. I should have been clearer. I'm just trying to get girls to eat more.

ReputationRep:
    ****, typo. The confusion's come out of people talking about RDA meaning BMR and the other way around, the definition of doing 'nothing' e.t.c. I could have been clearer. By nothing I thought she meant nothing as in being sedentary, not literally nothing i.e. just breathing. I'm sure most people would assume the same; you say 'you only need to eat this doing nothing, not 2,000' you're mixing up RDA and BMR for a start and you'd assume sedentary before bed-ridden. Hence, confusion.

Look, we're both right, I know what BMR and calorie needs are. I should have been clearer. I'm just trying to get girls to eat more.
    That's funny; girls are trying to get me to eat more. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerry595)

15mins running treadmill
    weights
    12 mins crosstrainer
    weights
    5 min stepper

Eat more, you're seriously undereating. If you've only eaten 700 and have burnt half of that, it's seriously nothing!

ReputationRep:
    OP -

Eating 400 or 750 calories a day is not dieting. That is disordered eating (not necessarily an eating disorder), potentially very dangerous and certainly unhealthy and detrimental to your mental and physical welfare. In between the arguments about the definition of various nutritional phrases and caloric calculators you may have picked up on the fact that there is a 'baseline' level of calories that you need to be consuming in a day in order for your body to function correctly. There is also a level of calories which maintains your weight. In order to lose weight, you need to be eating between these two figures. Google is your friend, there are a lot of calorie calculators out there which will help you find that magic, healthy, number.

Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.