Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've just recently passed my test and im at that exciting stage of seeking a vehicle for myself

I was set to get a manual seeing as they are cheaper and apparently more economical, and others claim theyre also more 'fun'. However since picking up my license Ive driven around a bit in my dads auto and I just cant help but feel that its a hell of a lot easier and is more bearable in the start-stop traffic conditions of London.

So I was wondering if it's perfectly fine to pick up an Auto as a first car? It may seem an odd question but literally all my mates drive manuals and initially I always saw Auto as an option for the elderly or lazy Americans, didnt expect that I'd warm to it so much. Or am I going to miss the 'fun' side of manual driving? :p:

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaosFalling)
    I've just recently passed my test and im at that exciting stage of seeking a vehicle for myself

I was set to get a manual seeing as they are cheaper and apparently more economical, and others claim theyre also more 'fun'. However since picking up my license Ive driven around a bit in my dads auto and I just cant help but feel that its a hell of a lot easier and is more bearable in the start-stop traffic conditions of London.

So I was wondering if it's perfectly fine to pick up an Auto as a first car? It may seem an odd question but literally all my mates drive manuals and initially I always saw Auto as an option for the elderly or lazy Americans, didnt expect that I'd warm to it so much. Or am I going to miss the 'fun' side of manual driving? :p:

Thanks!
    it depends on the car really. I loved the auto box in my old supra, and my uncle's 5 series, but I drove an auto corsa, and I'll never do it again.

...EVER.

Laggy, does what it pleases, lacks predictability, horrible shifts etc.. it just wasnt at all pleasant; I would have rather got out and pushed!

ReputationRep:
    I used to drive a Nissan Almera SE+ 1.8 auto which was sweeet. Now I'm driving a manual again and really miss having an auto. So much more comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    :O I personaly think manual driving is soo much more fun!

Another reason, if you have just passed it might be good practice still with the gears even though you have passed! There is still a lot more to learn!

Congratulations on passing btw

ReputationRep:
    As has been said, it really depends on the car. A nice old Range Rover Classic and you can't drive it anything but manual, it just doesn't do the car justice to drive it manual, especially as it's such a good auto box. I've always had the opinion that you need more power for an auto car to get the same pleasure out of driving it as a manual. The 3.9 V8 in my RRC was only 180bhp but with the torque you could pull a train. An underpowered diesel with an auto would be horrible though.

ReputationRep:
    To be more specific, I was thinking of getting either a 1.4 VW polo, 1.4 VW Golf or a 1.3 Toyota Yaris all auto. Would you think they fit the bill, or are they very much manual-orientated cars?

ReputationRep:
    Get the manual version of them. If nothing else, it will help you practice gear changes.

ReputationRep:
    My gear-changing is fine though and is not the issue .

My only reason for contemplating Auto is because of the fact that im in London where I practically have to stop every 30 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd like to drive a car with a manual gear if I lived in London.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for it. Manuals are over rated
    Best thing to do is go and read up on some professional reviews and road tests to find out which of the cars you mentioned have good auto boxes.

ReputationRep:
    better still, get in one and go for a test drive; I wouldnt miss out on what you might enjoy based on what people say, as any evaluation of the cars will largely be opinion. personally, paired with the autobox I think each of those cars, In particular the yaris (have driven similar) offers a drab and frustrating drive in comparison, it doesnt suit my driving style, you however might be right at home with them.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the size of the engine.
    Tiny engines with autoboxes aren't nice to drive.

I've got a 2.9 litre Jaguar XJ40 with a 4 speed automatic which is a joy to drive. By the same token, i've also got a 1.8 litre manual MGB.
    Both are good fun in their own way.

My Jag is to become my daily driver and the GT is going to retire from daily service and become the weekend toy. however, i've decided to change the engine for a 3.5 / 4.6 litre V8 and bolt an auto box behind it.

After 100,000+ miles, i'm bored of changing gear for myself.

My advice is start with a manual and change when you get bored for something with a big engine and a slushmatic.

ReputationRep:
    manual all the way. automatic becomes boring after about 30mins and you don't get the feel of control over the car you do with manual

ReputationRep:
    the only auto i've driven on a regular basis is a friends Disco3 and i tend to put that into tiptronic ...

for smaller cars with smaller engines a manual is more economical etc

as JC says autos work better in larger vehicles with larger engines

ReputationRep:
    Manual every time. Its more fun, its more economical, there is less to go wrong with it, it lasts longer, it lets you make driving decisions you just can't with an automatic. Its more economical because the automatic only changes up gears once the engine reaches a certain amount of revs. I can drive along in my car at 30 in fifth gear, doing little more than tick over, really economical driving. Can't do that with an auto, it just uses more than it needs to.

It means you can't use a number of advanced car control techniques. Its making choices for you. Have you ever seen an automatic do a hill climb race? You build up speed so the car puts it in a higher gear, then you reach the hill and it has to downshift all over again and you lose momentum. You want to get loads of revs on in a low gear, can't do it in an auto. I drove my Nan's automatic LR discovery 3 for about an hour a while ago. I went off-road with it as well, scary. It was a relaxing, well built car. But I felt uninvolved, as if I had no say in when to change gear, what gear is right for the situation and some of the changes were a bit uncomfortable. That said you can just put your foot down and not worry about clutch control off the lights, again relaxing, nice but not fun.

ReputationRep:
    congrats on passing =)

you're in a win win situation here.. i mean at least you have a manual licence so you can drive both kinds of cars though driving an auto traight away and for a long period of time might make you rusty on manual.

But ive seen a lot of youngers people, guys and girls now getting auto cars instead of manuals.

ReputationRep:
    you need to get a quality car if you want a decent auto box. it's no good buying a small hatch with an auto gear box, 'cause you will be kangarooing everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booger)
    Manual every time. Its more fun, its more economical, there is less to go wrong with it, it lasts longer, it lets you make driving decisions you just can't with an automatic. Its more economical because the automatic only changes up gears once the engine reaches a certain amount of revs. I can drive along in my car at 30 in fifth gear, doing little more than tick over, really economical driving. Can't do that with an auto, it just uses more than it needs to.

It means you can't use a number of advanced car control techniques. Its making choices for you. Have you ever seen an automatic do a hill climb race? You build up speed so the car puts it in a higher gear, then you reach the hill and it has to downshift all over again and you lose momentum. You want to get loads of revs on in a low gear, can't do it in an auto. I drove my Nan's automatic LR discovery 3 for about an hour a while ago. I went off-road with it as well, scary. It was a relaxing, well built car. But I felt uninvolved, as if I had no say in when to change gear, what gear is right for the situation and some of the changes were a bit uncomfortable. That said you can just put your foot down and not worry about clutch control off the lights, again relaxing, nice but not fun.

You've clearly NEVER driven a "built" auto before.

A propperly setup auto behind a big engine with manual valve bodies is just as versatile as a manual. Infact, it will be quicker in a straight line.
    You can ratchet up and down the gears just like a manual and if you really insist on pulling away in top gear then you can do so.

Anyone who's ever driven even something like an old granada with the essex V6 will tell you that the idea that auto's don't give you engine braking is a total myth.

ReputationRep:
    Cycle.

ReputationRep:
    We've got five cars, all of which are autos. So, you can see where our allegiance lies. But, our Golf 1.6 automatic is frankly shocking. The box is just awful and combined with the stupidly long delay on the throttle caused by the drive-by-wire, it's bordering on dangerous. We bought it as a runaround, so it's not really too big a deal. But if it was our only/main car, then I'd be pretty pissed.

By contrast, our other autos (three V8s and a straight six) are all excellent. In my experience, autos in small engined cars seem to suck. If (for some horrible reason) my main car ever has to be sub 2.0L, I'll go manual.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.