Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travelling 2009! (Advise me please) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have never been travelling before but have developed a strong urge to go. So having never seen the world I'm sure there's a lot to see, but also having never seen the world I'm sure there's a lot to know.

Have any of your knowledgable travellers got any good general advice about companies you have travelled with? And where to get the best and cheapest deals?

ReputationRep:
    Companies equals a big no no!

Go online to sites such as Expedia, Priceline and the airline companies themselves...

By doing so expect to save about 10% Min. of that you'd expect to pay in travel agencies. (Hence why most are doing rather poorly this year.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annabannie)
    Hello,

I have never been travelling before but have developed a strong urge to go. So having never seen the world I'm sure there's a lot to see, but also having never seen the world I'm sure there's a lot to know.

Have any of your knowledgable travellers got any good general advice about companies you have travelled with? And where to get the best and cheapest deals?

What continent are you actually looking to travel to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamWalsh)
    What continent are you actually looking to travel to?
    I'm hoping to visit Thailand, and possibly Cambodia! I've heard they are beautiful

ReputationRep:
    I've just returned from a month traveling Thailand, it's the best place in the world (except Bangkok).
    I traveled to Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Koh Samui (lamai and chaweng), Koh Phag nan, Phuket (Patong beach) and unfortunately Bangkok.

Its very very cheap especially this time of year as its their low season.

Id say you can get a nice hotel for £10 a night pretty much anywhere listed about. If you eat from street sellers or at food markets a meal will cost all of 70p - £1. Resturants arent much different maybe £2-£3 a meal.

You can spend very little if you plan not to get drunk every night, if you do then you'll spend quite a bit more.

In a month, including 3 days scuba diving, flying between most of the desinations above, food, accomodation, going out every night bar 4 nights and shopping a lot for stuff to bring home, i spent £1200.

I could easily survive on £500 a month though if your budget is small, but would mean staying in one place or maybe two and renting a room long term (£150 a month approx).

Anything else you need to know just let me know

Adam

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, thank you Adam!

I have come accross a company www.thaiintro.com who seem to show people around Thailand in a week. It also suggests that people don't usually enjoy spending more than 3 days (max) In Bangkok. Why is this? What makes you feel Bangkok is not the best place in the world?

Sounds like you had an amazing time though. Did you go alone or with friends?

ReputationRep:
    Everything I hear about Thailand just confirms that I'd love to visit it even more. Did you go with friends or did you go alone?

Also, what didn't you like about Bangkok?

ReputationRep:
    I flew alone, but met friends for 2 weeks then went off alone out of choice.
    Its the kind of place where you will meet many people, and the thai people are extremely friendly and will do anything for you.

I didnt like bangkok simply because it was busy, noisy, polluted, extremely hot and humid, lots of people hassling you etc....

Perhaps its because i went there after the islands...

Any idea which parts of thailand you want to go?
    Do you plan to go alone?

ReputationRep:
    I agree about Bangkok - its pretty much unavoidable but spend as little time as possible there - its dirty, crowded, you get hassled etc. For some places, this adds to the charm but not Bangkok. It will be harder to meet people there in my opinion - it felt more like a 'transit area' so to speak more than a destination. To get anywhere in Thailand, Bangkok is more than likely the starting point

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.