Turn on thread page Beta

Saving someone from being raped but end up killing the rapist? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hypothetical situation. *cough cough* :ninja:

I'm walking down the street and hear a scream round the corner in a dark alley. I rush over and see a man - with his penis out - holding a woman against the wall while cutting her dress with a knife. I rush over and in trying to save the woman, I end up killing the man in the struggle to get the knife out of his hands.

What would happen? (legally). It's not self-defence... would it be counted as vigilante actions? (which I assume to be illegal)...

hmm... do enlighten me TSRians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    I'm walking down the street and hear a scream round the corner in a dark alley. I rush over and see a man holding a woman against the wall while cutting her dress with a knife. I rush over and in trying to save the woman, I end up killing the man in the struggle to get the knife out of his hands.
    Only to find he was a tailor doing his job and the women had seen a spider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamer99)
    :hmpf:

I've edited it. :angel:

ReputationRep:
    :laugh:

Oh, knowing Britains *unjust* justice system, you would probably get life imprisonment and a Sun Newspaper campaign championing you as the next Tony Martin.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is really disturbing.

ReputationRep:
    It'd probably be from saving you. :rolleyes:
    :emog:

tbh I dont really know how the law looks at this:dontknow:

I'd love to kill a rapist. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    would it not be self defence?
    I think it counts if your protecting another person aswell.

However, this thread is very disturbing!

ReputationRep:
    Doing his job with his penis out!?

Aaaah my bad, was edited afterward. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saab_101)
    Doing his job with his penis out!?
    OP edited his post, re-read my quoted bit of his original post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kexy)
    This thread is really disturbing.
    Life is disturbing. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Involuntary Manslaughter probably :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Man slaughter? But then again, since the person was a rapist, I don't think anybody would care.

(Original post by Nick_000)
    :laugh:

Oh, knowing Britains *unjust* justice system, you would probably get life imprisonment and a Sun Newspaper campaign championing you as the next Tony Martin.
    Life imprisonment that lasts 7 years :p:

ReputationRep:
    You could possibly be prosecuted, but most Juries probably wouldn't convict you. And even if they did, the judge would probably only give you the minimum sentence for manslaughter.

ReputationRep:
    I doub't you'd go to jail, i mean surely the rape is mitigating? Im no lawyer though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa_89)
    I'd love to kill a rapist. :moon:
    I'd prefer to rape one. Irony value and all that. The rapist would probably enjoy it though. Dirty bugger.

What would happen? (legally). It's not self-defence... would it be counted as vigilante actions? (which I assume to be illegal)...
    'Self-defence' is a bit of a misnomer. It applies both to yourself and any other victim of crime. It's perfectly legitimate to defend someone else from attack.

Anyway, self-defence is not determined by outcome, but rather by the amount of force used. Is it possible to use proportionate and reasonable force, yet still kill someone.

As a bit of a curiosity, I seem to remember one of Scotland's institutional legal writers (Viscount Stair?) saying that rape is equivalent to murder for self-defence purposes, and that it can be lawfully repelled with equal force.

ReputationRep:
    I'm walking down the street and hear a scream round the corner in a dark alley. I rush over and see a man - with his penis out - holding a woman against the wall while cutting her dress with a knife. I rush over and in trying to save the woman, I end up killing the man in the struggle to get the knife out of his hands.

Actually, it is self-defence. You're allowed to defend someone else with proportionate action.

ReputationRep:
    You just saved a woman from being raped, surely she would take the rap for the killing, in which case it would be self-defence?

ReputationRep:
    I think someone's been watching Oz...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.