Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Im hopefully starting UCL in September and I need to know how much people spend on
    Food in self-catering?
    Going out aka clubbing?
    Transport?
    Thanks
    x

ReputationRep:
    £15 a day, would be a good est.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Food : If you're willing to eat sainsbury's basics stuff - it can work out pretty cheaply - you generally buy for the week ahead and top up as you go along. Hard to estimate - go to the shops and work out how much you would spend based on what you would realistically cook. Oh and factor in alcohol/other drinks into the cost too.

Going out - entrance from £1 - £10+ depending on when and where you go. Drinks also vary in price. Prelash cuts costs though - so around £10-20 for a night out.

Transport - almost not needed - halls are close to the main 'campus' and you'll occasionally get the odd night bus - with an oyster card a zone 1 single is £1.60 on the tube and £1 for a bus at anytime. Useage varies with weather/shopping frequency/many other factors

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Chimpyang

ReputationRep:
    That's for 1st year and you degree's gonna be 3 years or more. In your 2nd/ 3rd year rent is gonna be £90-150 pw, plus bills about a £100 every 3 months, travel is a must, unless you're eager to live in a tiny flat (as most flats around uni are) and pay a ridiculous price for it. Travelcard to zone 2 is £18 pw. Food and going out as in the first year, I think most ppl would say they fit in the £10-20 per night out, some nights are gonna be much more expensive, especially if you want to go to a good clubs and get drinks there, but then an odd sports nite or a pub evening make up to the average. I agree with Chimpyang about getting pre drinks before you go out, it really does make a difference on your bank statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pure_joy)
    That's for 1st year and you degree's gonna be 3 years or more. In your 2nd/ 3rd year rent is gonna be £90-150 pw, plus bills about a £100 every 3 months, travel is a must, unless you're eager to live in a tiny flat (as most flats around uni are) and pay a ridiculous price for it. Travelcard to zone 2 is £18 pw. Food and going out as in the first year, I think most ppl would say they fit in the £10-20 per night out, some nights are gonna be much more expensive, especially if you want to go to a good clubs and get drinks there, but then an odd sports nite or a pub evening make up to the average. I agree with Chimpyang about getting pre drinks before you go out, it really does make a difference on your bank statement.
    Thankyou! oh my gosh second year seems expensive!

ReputationRep:
    What? We have to pay bills for the university accomodation. No one told me that :mad:

ReputationRep:
    No you don't! In halls, all you pay is rent, bills are included. I was talking about your 2nd and 3rd year, when you don't live in halls any more.

ReputationRep:
    No you don't! In halls, all you pay is rent, bills are included. I was talking about your 2nd and 3rd year, when you don't live in halls any more.
    Oh right thanks :o: I misunderstood lol

ReputationRep:
    Not especially relevant to you but might be to others. Living in halls I managed ~ £15 per week

£4 bus - for PDS (medic) and badminton
    £10~ - food for the weekend (catered during week) and loaf of bread, peanut butter and bananas for lunch during the week.

Then a couple of drinks or so, don't really do clubbing to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    Any more contributors?
    x

ReputationRep:
    I'd say an average shop for a week of food (self-catered) cost me about £20. Nights for me were really quite cheap at about £10 or less as we mostly did flat parties and such (booze from off license is WAY cheaper than booze from bars/clubs).

I don't know, I'd say I rarely spent more than £70 a week (except for the random times when I would go buy clothes or something).

ReputationRep:
    Last year I averaged £70 per week. That includes everything except rent: clothing, going out, eating, transport home, stationary etc

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.