The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Which one would you recommend? living on-campus or off-campus?

Hi, guys.

I ve firmed Kent for this year and I'm getting ready to go and assimilate

quickly into the university and local community.

bt, it's a shame that I ve never been there in ma whole life.

er... meanwhile, come to think of it, the first issue occurred to me is the place where I will live and without a doubt, it would be one the most crucial things to all prospective students nt just for me.

So, I'd like to listen to views of current student as you guys have already experienced the pros and cons of staying on-campus and
off-campus respectively..

the more specific the answer is the happier i would be.

Your reply would be very highly appreciated guys..

p.s : is it ez to look for a place to stay around Kent uni?
Reply 1
Well, to start with, welcome to the Uni of Kent community - it's a great place to study and you've made a good choice (imo) to firm here.

I wouldn't worry about not being here before, I'd never visited Kent myself (aside from driving through on the way to Dover a couple of times), and to be honest you settle in so fast you won't even realise it's like an all new place.

If you're starting as a fresher then I would easily say living on campus is 100 times better than living off campus for this (crucial) first year.

On Campus PROS
-You'll be living with thousands of other freshers who are all in the same position - you'll make friends here that you'll keep the rest of your life
-The university guarantees accommodation to people who put Kent as their firm - make the most of it!
-On the whole, it'll be cheaper than living off campus, bills are included, internet etc.
-Everything is close to you, making it easier to find everything on campus for this first year until you're comfortable where everything is

On Campus CONS
-You've got to get a bus to go into town or to hit the pubs/clubs/supermarkets?

Off Campus PROS
-Closer to town for easier shopping
-House atmosphere feels a bit more grown up than halls

Off Campus CONS
-You'd probably live with 2nd/3rd years in established friendship groups that would be harder to assimmilate with
-Finding a house will be ALOT more difficult than just applying for accommodation with the Uni Accomm. Office.
-It'll cost more
-You'll have to walk/bus to campus every day, which might not be a good idea when you're unsure of where things are on campus.

tl;dr - I wouldn't even consider living off campus for your first year, there's so many reasons why on campus is better for a fresher :yep:
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
cheers mate, i am so grateful for your valuable reply with sharp infomration.

all things considered, on campus would be so much better but I just don't wanna put myself into on-campus..i mean i guez there are some strict rules I have to abide by such as curfew, nt smoking in the room, nt being able to bring fd to ma room or etc..
so, i guez i would feel suffocated living here. (if nt, plz kindly give me more specifics ^^)

oh and ,FYI, this will be my first year (bt nt as fresher) and last year cuz i got an place for the course
called "Business (top-up), that is to say, I will just spend 1 yr there.

well,, mate,.. er. u still think choosing on-campus would be beneficial for me ?

If it's not too much trouble for you, I'd like to find out more details plz.~
that would be highly appreciated. and I might treat you when i get there as a token of my thx? ^^
Reply 3
seriously live on Campus if you can get accomodation, its the best!! But if you've not applied yet, do it asap, people mostly want to live on campus if they can.
Mail me if you want anymore info..x
Reply 4
Hi!

I would definately recommend living on campus. I lived in Parkwood Courts last year and it was the best place for meeting new people, gaining friendships etc. You would find that off-campus accomodation is full of second/third years so it might be more hassle trying to make friends, getting up to uni etc.

As for your worries re: curfew, smoking etc. you'll find that the only curfew is a noise curfew after midnight which most people ignore anyway and the only thing that will happen is someone will call campus watch on you. As for smoking... I'm a smoker, as are many of my friends and we all smoked in our rooms. As long as the window is open, no one seems to notice or mentions anything! I think you would find it harder finding off campus accomodation that you could smoke in anyway! As for bringing people back to your room or having friends to stay, it's your room so you can do what you want and bring back who you want. I had 5 friends stay with me for about a week and my partner stayed with me every weekend. I also knew a girl whose boyfriend moved into her room with her for the whole year and he didn't even go to the uni! There aren't as many rules as you think on-campus. It's actually very fun!!

Hope this is useful to you! Good luck in making your decision! :biggrin:
Reply 5
Oh my goodness! 'alibahbah' thx so much for your valuable information.
it's amazing! im speechless.!!

wow..wow..tt's just so cool... ok i kinda set my mind already ^^. thx u~
Reply 6
Wow these are some really cool stuff information.. I too am a fresher and am bloody excited But i still gotta apply for accommodation esp. On campus!!!!

Hey Nee Hoping to see you arnd. And besides what course r u studying ???
Reply 7
cheers, tons.

im also hoping 2 c u soon. what course r u in? im studying a course called Business(Top-up)

so i would spend just 1 yr there.

Latest

Trending

Trending