Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Huge rise in applicants for 2010 (60% fewer places in clearing) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Apparently next year there will be 60% less places in clearing as courses will be full and will leave 'tens of thousands' of sixth formers without a place. All this being due to the economic downturn etc. But personally I don't think this will be the case for mainstream uni courses because well students who go for subjects like medicine, law, maths, sciences etc. already plan to go to uni anyway...it hasn't been because they finished a-levels and couldn't find a job. The economic downturn hasn't really affected such students, who always had planned to apply for the top unis and highly regarded courses anyway.

So will this surge in applications only be for the less common courses at unis with low requirements? I say low requirements because students who achieve A's/B's at A-level go to further education (generally speaking) and it's the ones who achieve C's/D's who then go on to work. So seeing as there is no work will it be these students who apply for the vocational type of subjects? I hope this increasing competition is not the case for the top unis for highly regarded courses because it's hard enough as it is to be picked for one let alone when there are tens of thousands more students applying! :no:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Well it's the same this year... Also just because you're not studying the subjects you listed doesn't mean everyone has picked a subject randomly and decided they're going. Some people planned to study at uni anyway. And of course there will be increased competition at the better unis - people don't want to go somewhere rubbish, do they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Well it's the same this year... Also just because you're not studying the subjects you listed doesn't mean everyone has picked a subject randomly and decided they're going. Some people planned to study at uni anyway. And of course there will be increased competition at the better unis - people don't want to go someone rubbish, do they?
    I think you mean "somewhere rubbish" :yep:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    I think you mean "somewhere rubbish" :yep:
    I do :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Well it's the same this year... Also just because you're not studying the subjects you listed doesn't mean everyone has picked a subject randomly and decided they're going. Some people planned to study at uni anyway. And of course there will be increased competition at the better unis - people don't want to go someone rubbish, do they?
    Yeah but my point is those that are qualified to go to the better unis always planned to apply to uni anyway regardless of the poor job prospects. I don't know the exact statistics but I do know for sure that the majority of those with top a-level grades go on to university so that will have been the case in any year, be it during the best of times or during an economic downturn. So the rise in applicants will come from those who finished with below-par grades and initially planned to get a job but couldn't and so have decided to study.

Also, it's not a matter of not wanting to go to a 'rubbish' university, desire has little significance in getting a place - it's all about capability and qualification, those with the not so good grades have no choice but to go to somewhere not so good.

I listed the subjects because they are the few that are extremely competative (there are others ofcourse but I'm not going to list every single one), I was asking about the impact of this rise in applications on such courses.

ReputationRep:
    Competition will increase across the board.
    Don't forget you will also have those that this year don't get in through clearing this year (10k they think maybe) also reapplying

ReputationRep:
    I'm not suprised. Every kid and his dog are going to university these days. Why can't the government tackle the problem by encouraging more students to take routes away from university *sigh*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C++Hacker)
    Yeah but my point is those that are qualified to go to the better unis always planned to apply to uni anyway regardless of the poor job prospects. I don't know the exact statistics but I do know for sure that the majority of those with top a-level grades go on to university so that will have been the case in any year, be it during the best of times or during an economic downturn. So the rise in applicants will come from those who finished with below-par grades and initially planned to get a job but couldn't and so have decided to study.

Also, it's not a matter of not wanting to go to a 'rubbish' university, desire has little significance in getting a place - it's all about capability and qualification, those with the not so good grades have no choice but to go to somewhere not so good.

I listed the subjects because they are the few that are extremely competative (there are others ofcourse but I'm not going to list every single one), I was asking about the impact of this rise in applications on such courses.
    But the largest increase is seen to be in the number of mature students Surely that doesn't mean CCC or BBC students? :confused:
    Maybe people who have lost their jobs? Like the less qualified people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TylerDurden)
    But the largest increase is seen to be in the number of mature students Surely that doesn't mean CCC or BBC students? :confused:
    Maybe people who have lost their jobs? Like the less qualified people?
    I was talking about for sixthform/college leavers specifically as the competition for undergraduate courses is unbelievably intense as it is.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking about for sixthform/college leavers specifically as the competition for undergraduate courses is unbelievably intense as it is.
    Well its not really. For specific courses at specific unis it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Well its not really. For specific courses at specific unis it is.
    Hence the listed subjects in the original post and the mention of it being at top unis.

ReputationRep:
    Hence the listed subjects in the original post and the mention of it being at top unis.
    Hmmm maybe.

Though compared to the clinical stuff the others are probably easier (Seeing the UCAS stats clinical courses you have a ~50% success rate the next worse are law/economics/history at ~70-80% success though this includes every uni so will skew it)

Sciences Probably not as much though, chemistry/physics in particular because they are unpopular for whatever reason.

I suppose I am looking at it from the most competitive end of the spectrum though so compared to mine they didnt seem too bad :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    So... the unis will be full of 30+ year old mature students wanting to learn...

:rolleyes: what fun

ReputationRep:
    Well it's the same this year... Also just because you're not studying the subjects you listed doesn't mean everyone has picked a subject randomly and decided they're going. Some people planned to study at uni anyway. And of course there will be increased competition at the better unis - people don't want to go somewhere rubbish, do they?
    Oh dear... and you're planning to take English Literature.

Tut tut :p:

ReputationRep:
    Better start preparing for A2 over this Summer, start Maths/Hist/Eco/Geog early!! Oh, and don't forget those EC's that Unis get erections over! *******s!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    Better start preparing for A2 over this Summer, start Maths/Hist/Eco/Geog early!! Oh, and don't forget those EC's that Unis get erections over! *******s!
    That made me lol

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't need to worry.
    Away to Uni this Sept!

Although, I don't think 2010 entry for uni it's going to be THAT bad/difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0_YouKnowIt)
    Well, I don't need to worry.
    Away to Uni this Sept!

Although, I don't think 2010 entry for uni it's going to be THAT bad/difficult.
    This was a constructive addition to the debate in what way?

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    This was a constructive addition to the debate in what way?

:p:
    I wasn't trying to debate.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0_YouKnowIt)
    I wasn't trying to debate.:p:
    touché

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.