Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HI,
    I had my AFCO interview on the 24th June and am waiting for a call/letter from OASC to confirm my date there. I understand that there is a bit of a backlog with the financial crisis and all but was wondering if anyone knew how long I'd be waiting to hear back or better still when my OASC might be.
    I've applied for Pilot, WSO and WSOp. Im a little bit worried about that my legs may be too long as I'm about 6ft 3in. I have not been given a definitive answer about the cut off point for leg length and whether it applies only to fast jet or if you are too big for fast jet you are ruled out completely.
    Is there anything I can do to practice for the aptitude tests?
    Also as a backup, if I were to fail to meet medical requirements or aptitude is it possible to choose a new branch at OASC or would I have to reapply.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I had my filter interview on 8th June and I'm still waiting for a date, would imagine when I get the date it will be sometime in October.

ReputationRep:
    I'd call the AFCO if I hadn't heard anything for 4-6 weeks.

Don't worry about leg length - only OASC can measure you properly anyway. Plenty of people your height get to be pilots - it's all about how your body parts relate to each other. Just because you're 6'3", you don't necessarily have long legs! But if you're too big for fast jet, that does rule you out completely for the RAF - that's just the way it works.

Aptitude tests - have a read of the SDT thread at the very top of the forum, and do lots of maths. Also look at the blue booklet OASC will send you with your date. Might be worth having a read of the rest of the forum, as well, becuase everything in your post has been answered elsewhere!

Fail at OASC = reapply. You can't add branches whilst there (any more). If you want a backup, add it before you go, but be aware lots of branches are currently closed.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for you help, I had a look at the OASC thread and that gave measurement for buttocks to knee etc and I measured roughly and should be ok. I've found some planning exercises on the forum and sheffield AFCO gave me a booklet of them too. I just finished a degree in maths but have been relying on my calculator a bit heavily so its just a case of sharpening the mental arithmetic up. My fitness is fine, go to the gym 4-6 times a week, can pass all the tests. Also the officer at AFCO who interviewed me gave me some extra information about the breakdown of Pilot and WSO training which will help with my knowledge. Just a case of waiting now...

ReputationRep:
    It's been barely 3 weeks and it's the busiest time of the year, give it a wait.

2-3 months between Filter and OASC is not unheard of.

A friend of mine went nearly 18months without hearing anything before getting invited to OASC...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    A friend of mine went nearly 18months without hearing anything before getting invited to OASC...
    Seriously? Was their any special reason for that?

Edit: Getting abit paranoid now, someone I met at a recent base visit got a date for OASC today and his filter was on the 25th June he went to the same AFCO etc. How do they work out when to invite people down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon33)
    Seriously? Was their any special reason for that?

Edit: Getting abit paranoid now, someone I met at a recent base visit got a date for OASC today and his filter was on the 25th June he went to the same AFCO etc. How do they work out when to invite people down?

No special reason, they just 'misplaced' her paperwork. Admittedly, she had not gone Filter>OASC, as she was an UAS student, her paperwork was sent directly to OASC. It took a phonecall from our then-Adj [one of those guys who has 'contacts'] to sort it out.

She has now passed IOT and is at a secret northern Scotland airbase /pprune influence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olej24)
    I've applied for Pilot, WSO and WSOp. ... Also as a backup, if I were to fail to meet medical requirements or aptitude is it possible to choose a new branch at OASC or would I have to reapply.
    Thanks.
    It's just a thought because of what you're applying for, but as your back-up have you considered either ATC or ABM? Certainly we went through a phase of taking F3 WSOs and re-training them for the E3D fleet, so there is commonality of skills and roles there. As I say, just a thought.

More info here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=970081

Good luck with OASC!

Vizzini

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help, just got my letter. I am attending on the 27th October

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    ive got OASC on 8th september any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    It's been barely 3 weeks and it's the busiest time of the year, give it a wait.

2-3 months between Filter and OASC is not unheard of.

My filter was at the beginning of January, I attended OASC end of May.

ReputationRep:
    I had my filter interview in June and attend OASC on 8th September!

Any advice for OASc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko)
    Any advice for OASc?

Advice? Sure: Use the button labelled search.

There are thousands of pieces of information in this forum, all relevant and useful, without wanting to come across as rude it makes very little sense writing them out again and again!

ReputationRep:
    It's been a few weeks since I've browsed on here... I had my filter on 19th May, passed and received confirmation and I am yet to get any dates for OASC! I've spoke to my AFCO (twice!) and they've told me that my application is being processed by Cranwell. Guess some of you guys must have interviewed better than I!

ReputationRep:
    when you have the interview they mark your interview out of 40 i think, the closer to the top end you get the quicker you go to OASC but dont forget they are soo busy at cranwell due to the global economy so lots of applicants just sit tight or ring Candidate processing down at OASC

ReputationRep:
    Any idea what the number is for the processing? Is it just the Cranwell number and then they can put you through?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise it was out of forty, however I had a debrief and noticed that on the scale of 1-6, I got a four. I thought that the length of time might have something to do with how strong your application is - there are clearly some very strong applicants out there! I didn't realise you could call Cranwell, I'll quiz them about it at TLC tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    This may seem like a stupid question, but does your filter interview just determine whether or not you're suitable for OASC, or is it also factored into your overall application at OASC?

ReputationRep:
    I have just returned from OASC. It was fine, but the one piece of advice I would say to people who are preparing to go is:

REMAIN CALM

The boarding officers there are extremely nice and actually seem to be willing you to do well all the way through - not what I was expecting at all! Secondly I think it is pretty important to make sure that you:

BE YOURSELF (& SPEAK UP)

One girl got sent home from OASC for not being confident enough, when infact she is probably the most confident person I've ever met (I know her from the UAS)! She ended up trying so hard not to be overbearing that she didn't talk enough and the staff there assumed she was lacking confidence! Another guy (in my syndicate) was also sent home, despite being the one who came up with the correct solutions to all the hangar problems and the group planning task. His problem? He quietly informed another member of the group of the solution, allowing them to get credit for the solution themselves.

It feels slightly unnatural to some people, but make sure that everything you say is in a loud and assertive voice. And also remember that the important thing is to be good team-player, and not to actually solve the problems (although it's pretty impressive if you do!)

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Jenni

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.