Turn on thread page Beta

Heart rate Vs Calories Burnt watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi i had my review at my gym yesterday.

Basically what i was told is that your body burns fat most effectively when your working at a steady heartrate for your age e.g. mines 150bpm. If you exceed 150, your body doesn't burn fat but uses the acid in the muscles.

However, this burns less calories than a higher intensity that i would normally be doing.

So, the question is:

Should i be looking at calories burnt or time and heart rate?

Thankyou

xx

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you are goals are, do you want to be fitter or thinner?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creole)
    Depends what you are goals are, do you want to be fitter or thinner?

Thinner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessikar)
    Hi i had my review at my gym yesterday.

Basically what i was told is that your body burns fat most effectively when your working at a steady heartrate for your age e.g. mines 150bpm. If you exceed 150, your body doesn't burn fat but uses the acid in the muscles.

However, this burns less calories than a higher intensity that i would normally be doing.

So, the question is:

Should i be looking at calories burnt or time and heart rate?

Thankyou

xx
    Total total ****!! Big U turn clogging turds are coming out of your trainers mouth and he should have hsi mouth washed out by my fist.

While a lower intensity excercise is easy for little girly girls who can't be arsed to work hard it is scientifically proven that high intesnity training burns more fat. They are going on the basis that low intensity burns a higher % of calories from fat but thier ****** GNVQ **** my schlong course doesn't seem to explain to them that the overal value of energy spent is very very low. For e:g

30 minutes at rest 100 calories (60 % fat used) (60 calories from fat fat)
    low intensity exercise - 30 minutes 300 calories (50% fat used) (150 calories from fat)
    High intensity exercise - 30 minutes 450 calories (40 % fat used) (180 calories from fat)

Tell him to STFU and squat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Total total ****!! Big U turn clogging turds are coming out of your trainers mouth and he should have hsi mouth washed out by my fist.

While a lower intensity excercise is easy for little girly girls who can't be arsed to work hard it is scientifically proven that high intesnity training burns more fat. They are going on the basis that low intensity burns a higher % of calories from fat but thier ****** GNVQ **** my schlong course doesn't seem to explain to them that the overal value of energy spent is very very low. For e:g

low intensity exercise - 30 minutes 300 calories (50% fat used) (150 calories from fat)
    High intensity exercise - 30 minutes 450 calories (40 % fat used) (180 calories from fat)

C'mon, Powerlifter mate, don't sit on the fence, say what you really think!

ReputationRep:
    I've never trained to be thinner, so I'll just go on what I've read:
    Pretty much ignore your trainer, while he is technically right (see Powerlifter's post, noting the difference in levels of total energy used in a workout), it seems the conventional wisdom is that you should do HIIT to become thinner. Google it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)

this is true.

The thing about it is:

You burn fat more in comparison to other energy stores at low intensities, true, and at higher intensities you burn more carbs than fat true. but as powerlifter said, you still burn more fat because you overall use more calories.

AND, the carbs that are used up are taken from stores in muscle and liver, these are kinda esential coz they're also involved in things like blood glucose regulation (loosely) and other things, so your body works to replace them after you've used them.

As fats can be converted into carbs, and your not working hard anymore (your resting) the fats get converted, and replace the used carbs. (thats part of EPOC).

As a result, you burn more fat while exercising, but you also burn even more fat, after exercising.

Hence why the two most suggested exercises i seen on this forum for fat loss are:

weight lifting
    HIIT.

Weight lifting most people should know is meant to be intense (if they don't, they deserve a slap with a barbell)

And HIIT stands for HIGH INTENSITY interval training.

Edit: if you want to go by burning more fat in comparison to carbs, than you may as well sit down and watch tv all day, your burning a hell of a lot more fat than carbs then.

And just to expain that thing quickly, fat takes a much longer time to burn than carbs, so you can only burn it properly when at lower intensities, whereas carbs are almost immediately ready for use.

ReputationRep:
    ^..i don't know what i'm talking about..i'm ust intrigued, but from what you;'ve said above does that mean you could go for run/ do some reasonably intense exercise and hypothetically only burn carbs whilst doing it, but then burn fat after to replace the carbs?...if that makes sense,....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toasted marshmellows)
    ^..i don't know what i'm talking about..i'm ust intrigued, but from what you;'ve said above does that mean you could go for run/ do some reasonably intense exercise and hypothetically only burn carbs whilst doing it, but then burn fat after to replace the carbs?...if that makes sense,....
    Got that right.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.