Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've just finished my GCSEs and I'm very confused about my A levels and my career

My family has a HUGE history with science obsessions and doctors and scientists so my Dad's pressuring me into doing Medicine his reasons are quite practical, with the recession going on the only course I can do which can offer a good job security is Medicine but the big problem is I HATEEEEEEEEEEE SCIENCE!!!! Although i work reallly hard at school and I'm not dumb but i'm not a genius either i LOVE maths/economics/finance stuff and i want to be a chartered accountant but i dont want to be one of those post graduate people who get out of a really good uni and dont find any work and i especially dont want to be in debt for the rest of my life!

So should i be safe and do medicine or should i do what i enjoy and take a risk???!!!!

and what a levels and uni courses would be appropriate for Chartered accountancy (I know medicine is A level Chemistry and one of the sciences)

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it!

ReputationRep:
    No way.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. There are people who are extremely passionate about medicine/science and about becoming a doctor and find it unbelievably difficult to cope with both the everlasting degree course as well as the job itself. If you hate science and personally want to be in finance then doing medicine is a bad choice. Job security shouldn't really be a significant factor in deciding what career you follow. Besides, I think many young students are unlucky in that they're having to see one of the worst economic climates in history, with parents/family members becoming redundant and what not...it just creates this misconception that jobs such as banking are insecure when in fact under normal circumstances people work and stay in the biggest financial firms for their whole lives. Also, up until 2-3 years ago firms all over the world were offering so many graduate jobs with great starting salaries and extra generous bonuses etc. Don't worry too much, go for what you want to do, if it's accounting then go for it. By the time you graduate things should be back to normal.

ReputationRep:
    If you hate science, I cant see how that's even an option.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your personal aim in life. Some people live for wealth and although I wouldn't recommend such a narrow motive in life, they become big rich docs for the 'job security' as you so put it. Some people are just so damn smart they don't care and they do it any way, for the fame and the name. Others actually care - interviewers can see that dedication in Uni interviews so these guys are most likely to get the place. But - decide what you want, and act accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    If you hate science that much, I doubt you'd even finish the course, let alone get "job security for life"

ReputationRep:
    No, it's far too much work to do just for job security.

ReputationRep:
    No you should study Medicine because you want to be like House.

ReputationRep:
    Do what will make you happy. Medicine is a long, tough sciencey course - if you hate science then don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like science and you don't want to do Medicine, then it's highly unlikely you'll get into a medical school anyway.

Do what YOU want to do.

ReputationRep:
    You hate science, you will not enjoy Medicine. No. Let somebody take the place who will enjoy the subject.

ReputationRep:
    No. Do what you enjoy. Not what other people want you to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by memyselfandi93)
    So should i be safe and do medicine or should i do what i enjoy and take a risk???!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8JuezrhTpo

0:55

there's your answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by memyselfandi93)
    Hey, I've just finished my GCSEs and I'm very confused about my A levels and my career

My family has a HUGE history with science obsessions and doctors and scientists so my Dad's pressuring me into doing Medicine his reasons are quite practical, with the recession going on the only course I can do which can offer a good job security is Medicine but the big problem is I HATEEEEEEEEEEE SCIENCE!!!! Although i work reallly hard at school and I'm not dumb but i'm not a genius either i LOVE maths/economics/finance stuff and i want to be a chartered accountant but i dont want to be one of those post graduate people who get out of a really good uni and dont find any work and i especially dont want to be in debt for the rest of my life!

and what a levels and uni courses would be appropriate for Chartered accountancy (I know medicine is A level Chemistry and one of the sciences)

Thank you
    No. Maths always looks good and has many jobs. I would take Maths and Further Maths for A Level too. Also, Actuary is another maths/financal career (my dad does it). Hopefully your dad will get over it... you'll still earn a lot of money anyways :yep:

ReputationRep:
    If you hate science I doubt you'd get past even your A levels let alone getting into medicine. Just go with your accounting stuff instead.

ReputationRep:
    No, if you hate science you'll end up dropping out and hating your job also.

Do something with maths/economics etc. You enjoy it and remember, the world won't be in this economic state forever.

ReputationRep:
    you hate science, you probably won't get your A's at A level then...

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. Ever.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.