Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im learning to drive soon, and wondering what RED driving school is like? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Have any of you been with red driving school before and are they good? One of my friends been with red and he says they are better than the AA or BSM (hes been with both before)?

Or if not shall i just turn to a local private instructor who is cheaper..

ReputationRep:
    I'd always advise against driving schools, most of them are only after your money and will deceive you into thinking that you need more lessons than you actually do, well that was my experience with the AA and BSM anyway.

Go private, not only is it cheaper but at times better than driving schools. Quite a few private instructors are experienced ex-AA/BSM instructors.

ReputationRep:
    I would go for an independant driving instuctor. I went with SurePass and the driving instructor was more intrested in getting me in for my test ASAP rather than what I wanted. I was not even ready for the test, henced why I changed. That's my view though. I have had friends who have been with AA/BSM and have said their instuctors are good.

ReputationRep:
    i went with a local, independent driving instrustor - he has a really good reputation within the local area and the times were flexible

i would be weary about going with a large company; check out your local independent instructors and their reputation

you can always change instructors

ReputationRep:
    I tried to go with Red... They didn't even bother turning up. So went with a local instructor instead

ReputationRep:
    Go with a private instructor. My friend went with the AA, she had two hour lessons each week, paid hundreds of pounds, and passed only the 5th time. I had 1 hour lessons, were much cheaper, and i could cancel at short notice if i needed to, and passed second time.

ReputationRep:
    No such thing as a good/bad driving school, it's all down to the instructor you get. I had an amazing instructor for BSM taught me everything and was a pretty sound guy.

ReputationRep:
    my sister was with red she could drive before and the lady just made her take loads of lessons. i was with the AA. passed last month and they were REALLY good. my sister has now left red and is now with my instructor (the AA one). id say go for the AA. MUCH better then RED.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, may as well go for an independant then if they are cheaper and better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    No such thing as a good/bad driving school, it's all down to the instructor you get.
    This is generally the case.

Although I won't colour your opinion for (or against) any particular brand, consider this: Why does a driving school advertise so aggressively on television to recruit instructors? How can any firm afford expensive television advertising for "a new job / career" when decent salaried jobs are never advertised in this way? Assuming the ads work and the school is flooded with wannabe instructors all chasing that dream of "earn up to £30K!", then how do you think your own instructor will try to fund that dream when the limited pupil base is spread so thinly across all these new recruits?

Caveat emptor.

ReputationRep:
    Well I am with Red, and my instructor is lovely. He is so patient and had never cancelled on me. Always tried to rearrange things to fit lessons in etc. He is a great instructor.

Unfortunately, I just failed my test yesterday for dodgy parallel parking. My instructor is going on holiday soon, for a month, so unless I wanna wait for about 6/7 weeks, I had to find another instructor with the same car. I had a lesson with this independent instructor this afternoon, and hate her. She was so horrible, she said 'i think you failing yesterday did you a favour'. I think that was a really horrible thing to say to be honest. The only reason I was a little bit dodgy was because her car is a diesel, not a petrol like my usual instructor's. I will not be having any more lessons with her!

So basically what I'm saying is it completely depends on who you get!

ReputationRep:
    I went with RED and found it to be a good experience. My instructor was nice and I passed first time after about 25 lessons. I seem to remember the lessons being a few quid cheaper than AA's and BSM's also.

As others have said though, it's down to the instructor, not the driving school as a whole (although AA and BSM are more expensive than most I believe).

ReputationRep:
    I went with a local guy, Ex - BSM dude. He even admitted that the driving schools are not the best route to go down, hence him leaving.
    If you go local, your dealing with one person, much more flexible etc.

You can't judge a whole school like that. They run a franchise so it all comes down to the instructor you get at the end of it. You could have a brilliant one, or you could have a **** one.

If you've got a license, we've got the keys to your new career!

ReputationRep:
    honestly, dont go with them. Although they may be tempting when put against the aa and bsm on price. Generally the instructors are trainees and havent even been interviewed. See the ads for yourself and the over advertising, doesent that hint anything

ReputationRep:
    Dont base u desicion based on the school. Only base it on the driver. Im using 1st class driving but i went on their site and chose the intructor i wanted based on the reviews. Sch have nothing to do with how well you learn or wether you pass 1st time. Its all about the instructor.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys. Think about this! There are two types of learner good and not so good, there are two types of instructor good and not so good. So good instructor meets good learner no problem not so good instructor meets good learner no too bad, the rub is now simple good instructor meets not so good learner not too bad, however not so good instructor meets not so good learner no matter which school the outcome can be a long and painful experience for the unsuspecting pupil who more often than not never reaches full potential.
    The answer is simple go with a recommended instructor who might charge a little more but in the long run it will be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Locked.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.