Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hh
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by mwinship50)
    Hi,

I just started a new job in an area of town that i dont know that well and i feel really nervous about working there with people that i do not know as most of these people are from the area. I feel as though im the odd one out as im not from that area.
    Don't worry about it, just be yourself and try and be confident, thats where everything fails if you don't be a confident person. Believe in yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Man up. Work is money.

Hi,

I just started a new job in an area of town that i dont know that well and i feel really nervous about working there with people that i do not know as most of these people are from the area. I feel as though im the odd one out as im not from that area.
    I know exactly how you feel.

When I started my job, I felt slightly 'excluded'. I wasn't familiar with the area - as it was locally employed. Those that worked there, knew each other from outside of the store and had so much in common (other than work) - and I didn't know where I would fit in.

However, I'm sure your fellow colleagues will appreciate your situation and will make an effort to engage you, as long as you are prepared to make an effort too. :yep:

It may be hard initially, but a casual; 'Hi' and 'Bye' and conversations over breaks etc are perfect ice-breakers and before you know it, you may find some new friends too.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Guys!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You will get to know the people and the place soon enough. Maybe ask everyone if they fancy going for a drink after work to break the ice a bit?

ReputationRep:
    thanks mandy! most of them are 17 but thanks for the idea!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Meh. Don't we all... I'm going to start work across town and chances are I won't know anyone... you're get over it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.