Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Arms Race in Space watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taigan)
    The Republic of Turkey would like to draw the delegates' attention to the ASAT weapons in particular. This is a very sensitive matter. ASAT weapons give a country the ability to defend itself from any military attack that another nation may have set up in space. Does a country not have the right to protect itself? On the other hand, however, these weapons give a nation power to destroy satellites, and therefore, gives these nations the ability to cripple economies and destroy international communication. Which is more important and what do the delegates feel about this?

The Republic of Turkey personally feels that possessing ASAT weapons is a right, just like how a nation has the right to pursue a navy or an air-force.
    ASAT weapons are still weapons. Weapons should not be in space. Maybe if aliens were to attack us and put humanity in danger, but right now we are the biggest threat to ourselves and so any measures that can lessen this should be welcomed. What will happen if terrorists gain control of ASAT weapons?

ReputationRep:
    The Republic of Turkey definitely understands the danger of ASAT weapons but would like to point out that the only nations with the ability to produce ASAT weapons are the USA, Chine and Russia. None of the other nations currently possess the funds or technology to produce these weapons, therefore, the fear that a terrorist will try to possess these weapons in the near future is irrational.

ReputationRep:
    The Republic of Turkey definitely understands the danger of ASAT weapons but would like to point out that the only nations with the ability to produce ASAT weapons are the USA, Chine and Russia. None of the other nations currently possess the funds or technology to produce these weapons, therefore, the fear that a terrorist will try to possess these weapons in the near future is irrational.
    Nigeria would like to point out that terrorists can come from anywhere. As long as these weapons exist, there is always a possibility it could fall into the wrong hands, no matter how low or high the probability is

ReputationRep:
    Malta feels that possessing ASAT weapons should be allowed, however only to be launched if a Country is under attack from said Satellite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Nigeria would like to point out that terrorists can come from anyway. As long as these weapons exist, there is always a possibility it could fall into the wrong hands, no matter how low or high the probability is
    The Republic of Turkey would like to state that this is also applicable to all types of weapons. Whether it be guns, missiles or weapons of mass destruction, they all are dangerous in the wrong hands. Still, this has not stopped nations from pursuing these weapons and developing them further. Why must ASAT weapons be any different?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    China feels that in a perfect world ASAT weapons should not exist. Unfortunately, like nuclear arms, once one country has them they are a danger to everyone else. Eventually one nation would have gained control of them and thus would have dominance. The US is unwilling to give up their reasearch in this and thus other countries must be allowed to develop them.

ReputationRep:
    The Republic of Turkey would like to state that this is also applicable to all types of weapons. Whether it be guns, missiles or weapons of mass destruction, they all are dangerous in the wrong hands. Still, this has not stopped nations from pursuing these weapons and developing them further. Why must ASAT weapons be any different?
    Why don't we start a new era of non-proliferation of weapons by drafting a treaty banning the ASAT?...no space weapons have been made, although you cannot be sure with USA... We cannot change the past, but we can help the future.
    Although, I do agree with China/Korea that if one country manufactures a ASAT, then others will follow suit

ReputationRep:
    I would like to see this perhaps develop into a full-blown Summit. If the republic of Turkey or any other representative wishes to draft a Treaty, I could look it over sometime
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Why don't we start a new era of non-proliferation of weapons by drafting a treaty banning the ASAT?...no space weapons have been made, although you cannot be sure with USA... We cannot change the past, but we can help the future.
    Although, I do agree with China/Korea that if one country manufactures a ASAT, then others will follow suit
    [ooc] I'm china atm, sorry I can't color my text when replying from my phone.[/ooc]

China has already tested an ASAT weapon due to the US refusing to give up ASAT research. The problem with banning all ASAT weapons is that there would always be a risk that one nation would secretly develop them. Thus the countries of the world would not be secure without ASAT weapons of their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    [ooc] I'm china atm, sorry I can't color my text when replying from my phone.[/ooc]

China has already tested an ASAT weapon due to the US refusing to give up ASAT research. The problem with banning all ASAT weapons is that there would always be a risk that one nation would secretly develop them. Thus the countries of the world would not be secure without ASAT weapons of their own.
    [ooc]You're doing this mobile? thats sooooooooo cool!! :yes: [/ooc]

Understood. Well, all we can do is draft a treaty and hope that states will adhere to it.
    The US seems to be the biggest problem in this respect, considering that other states, such as yourself, will look at USA and say, if they can do it, then we can. So, because of this, we need dialogue with USA in the hope that they will terminate their ASAT research
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    [ooc]You're doing this mobile? thats sooooooooo cool!! :yes: [/ooc]

Understood. Well, all we can do is draft a treaty and hope that states will adhere to it.
    The US seems to be the biggest problem in this respect, considering that other states, such as yourself, will look at USA and say, if they can do it, then we can. So, because of this, we need dialogue with USA in the hope that they will terminate their ASAT research
    [ooc] Wait till tomorrow, I'll be on here while DJing at a huge party in a huge field![/ooc]

China is unsure if even this will work. Even if the US, and of course ourselves, gave up ASAT research, there is always a risk that another country will develop them. This means that they could effectively control the world economy, bringing every other nation almost helpless to them. China would have liked to have seen no military in space, but now doesn't think this is possible.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking on the behalf of UNIDO - we would like more lean way towards the treaty being reviewed & reformed to prevent a new arms race.

We condemn anyone making any weapon proliferation in space and anywhere on Earth.

ReputationRep:
    The delegate for The Republic of Turkey is currently drafting a treaty on the issue. The Treaty deals with the use of weapons in outer space and will be posted as soon as it is ready. The Republic of Turkey hopes that an agreement can be reached so that all nations are satisfied and the threat of this technology kept minimal. Updates will be posted soon.

ReputationRep:
    The Secretary General would encourage all delegates to continue to discuss this matter and advise on their own nations stance in regards to a Treaty.

[OOC]Taigan has PMd me with a draft treaty, which is fantastic, but I would like to see how the Piracy Summit develops before posting it.[/OOC]

The US will not and cannot release research information on ASAT. Space superiority is a prerequisite for successful modern warfare however we will not be drawn into naming names of potential adversaries - we strive for peace as much as any world nation but recognise the need to defend ourselves from potential attacks.

ReputationRep:
    The RoK feels that each nation should have the ability to defend its own territory from attack by another nation. Many nations in the modern world are currently making strides to possess weapons of mass destruction, and these nations are also the nations which are provocative in thier very nature, this regrettably means nations under the threat from attack have to use technological advances to defend their land, and the lives of there citizens.

ReputationRep:
    The Federal Republic of Austria is neutral and against all weapons
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Radgebanter)
    The Federal Republic of Austria is neutral and against all weapons
    China: Surely though you need a way to defend against the hostile forces of other nations, were they to attack?

ReputationRep:
    The Republic of Turkey has written a draft Treaty for the Arms Race in Space issue. The Treaty can be found here.
    The Republic of Turkey hopes that other nations respond well to the treaty and also would like to repeat that this is a draft,therefore amendments can be suggested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    China: Surely though you need a way to defend against the hostile forces of other nations, were they to attack?
    Austria thanks China and welcomes their most valid point. We see no reason why we should be attacked, while not having any weapons of great power and being a small neutral country Austria still does have an army and air force. We would probably call on help from NATO or other allies if attacked.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.