Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If your partner left their phone at your house... Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you check their texts/emails?
    Yes
    53.01%
    No
    18.88%
    I'd be tempted, but no
    28.11%

ReputationRep:
    I think most people, try so very hard not to, but the more you think about it, the more you would invent some reason in your head to "just have a quick look" and oops I ended up reading the rest as well :p:

That is what I would end up doing, then my guilt and honesty thing would bug me and I would end up admitting it to them in the next 2-3days, and taking whatever argument I deserve and apologising.

I am not so smart at these things :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    wow! the most popular result is yes... shocking :p:

personally i voted - tempted but no.

ReputationRep:
    All the people saying they would just to be nosy not because they don't trust the person and that they wouldn't mention anything they found- surely the problem then lies if you find something you don't like. If you mention it they'll know you've been snooping but it might be too big a deal not to mention.

I don't think I would, my partner leaves his phone in the lounge while he's asleep and as I get up earlier than him I could look at it, but I don't. If I wanted to look I'd ask him if I could.

ReputationRep:
    I might do.. I'm incredibly nosey.

ReputationRep:
    I would be tempted, but I trust him.

ReputationRep:
    For goodness sake, I pressed no - not yes! Gah, anyways - I wouldn't look at his emails, 'cause they're either from me or family and his phone.. he's got an iphone, so i'm bound to go on all the apps. but not messages or shizz

I already have (his e-mails) when my browser left him logged in (yeah there are big trust issues). Turns out the e-mails there were really boring after all (and he's the type that saves them all)...he saved some from these girls he fancied years before he met me which were funny, especially because his replies were so banal! :rolleyes: bless him for trying though.

*Looks at poll results*

How disappointing that even amongst supposedly intelligent people, privacy isn't respected. This is why I can't trust anyone... Personally, I'd never do such a terrible thing. Whatever happened to relationships being based on trust? I'd immediately end a relationship if my partner did this to me.

ReputationRep:
    No, I trust him, and even if I didn't I know he's not stupid enough to leave incriminating texts on his phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Actually, what I would do, is record something weird as his ringtone and message tone and set it to that, then change his background, and mess with all the settings, and add weird contacts into his phonebook. Cos i'm mature, like.
    That's exactly what I do :p: He doesn't seem to mind bless him I did go through my ex's messages/e-mails because he'd cheated on me twice and he made me do it when I saw him because it apparently "proved" :rolleyes: that he hadn't been cheating when actually all it proved was that he knew how to delete messages :rolleyes: With my current bf I don't really bother because all his messages are normally from me except a few I saw last week which sounded rather suspicious - like he was planning on proposing to me :eek: Blathering on about asking his family in France when he goes to see them and waiting for both our families to go away so he can do "it" somewhere quiet and thinking about "how to do it" :o:

ReputationRep:
    May aswell.

ReputationRep:
    I would feel really guilty about it, but tbh I know I definitely would, I'm only human. I've done it before with an ex many moons ago, but I wasn't looking for anything incriminating, just wondering if he had spoken about me to his friends (was a relatively new relationship).

People say you should trust your boy/girlfriend, but what does that matter if they've got nothing to hide? :p: However I'm a bit of a cynic when it comes to these things which is probably why I have that view.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm nosy like that.

ReputationRep:
    Trust ya da ya da ya da! I so. . . .would theres no point in lying! Curiosity killed the cat and all that lark!

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Simply don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner_dancer)
    I would actually just set their phone on vibrate and use it to masturbate.
    hahahaha - this made me LOL
    no, i wouldn't - i'd feel that if i wanted to check their email/texts then that would mean i didnt trust them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not Invented Yet)
    If I knew he wouldn't mind, then of course I would. If I thought he might be annoyed by the intrusion into his privacy, then I wouldn't. I wouldn't care if someone went through my phone though - if I send/recieve a message that I don't want anyone else to read, I delete it, so my inbox is mostly full of "can you pick up some milk on your way home" type stuff. And I definitely wouldn't care about Facebook - everyone else can see every conversation you have on there anyway!

Email is different though, I wouldn't look through anyone else's emails. I don't know why.
    Yeah but on facebook there's the private message function that isn't visible to the world at large.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adiaphora)
    Yeah but on facebook there's the private message function that isn't visible to the world at large.
    Oh yeah, I always forget about that! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Little bit nosy like that.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to say no, on the basis that I've done it in the past, and found out things I didn't want to know and therefore got more hurt in the process - I had, had reason to check, which were confirmed, although I didn't let him know that I knew at that point, or at least for that reason, because things were falling apart anyway. So from experience, I'd like to think that I wouldn't, but if I had genuine reason to believe that there was a reason for me to be suspicious, then I might not be able to ignore the temptation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.