Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed tht I am quite a bit more 'built' on my right side than my left. I also have a curvature of the spine so my right shoulder is a little below the left. I'm no longer doing the upper body machine exercises in the gym and I'm training my left side harder than my right. Is there anything lese you can do to try and equalise the musculature on both sides and so your body looks symmetrical. I also notice that my stomach muscles are quite aligned either. The ones on the right are a little above the ones on the left, although with my nipples it is the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    I've noticed tht I am quite a bit more 'built' on my right side than my left. I also have a curvature of the spine so my right shoulder is a little below the left. I'm no longer doing the upper body machine exercises in the gym and I'm training my left side harder than my right. Is there anything lese you can do to try and equalise the musculature on both sides and so your body looks symmetrical. I also notice that my stomach muscles are quite aligned either. The ones on the right are a little above the ones on the left, although with my nipples it is the other way around.
    Try doing dumbbell exercises since there your weaker side can't be helped by your stronger one. And don't train one side of your body harder than the other, that will only worsen any imbalances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teriaki)
    Try doing dumbbell exercises since there your weaker side can't be helped by your stronger one. And don't train one side of your body harder than the other, that will only worsen any imbalances.
    Wouldn't it be better to train my left side harder than my right to try and equalise things?

ReputationRep:
    No, its dumbbells for you!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    Wouldn't it be better to train my left side harder than my right to try and equalise things?
    No.

There is nothing you can do about asymmetry in your abdominal region; this is genetic and if you look at pictures of bodybuilders and fitness models you'll see many of them are similar to yourself.

Anyway, we are all asymmetric to some degree. Worrying about this when you're a newbie, novice or intermediate is silly and OCD. Get stronger and add more lean body mass and you may find these things correct themselves slightly. You don't want to be some 160lber that's trained for years, barely lifts any weights and is worrying about little details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    No.

There is nothing you can do about asymmetry in your abdominal region; this is genetic and if you look at pictures of bodybuilders and fitness models you'll see many of them are similar to yourself.

Anyway, we are all asymmetric to some degree. Worrying about this when you're a newbie, novice or intermediate is silly and OCD. Get stronger and add more lean body mass and you may find these things correct themselves slightly. You don't want to be some 160lber that's trained for years, barely lifts any weights and is worrying about little details.
    So Adonis then? :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    I haven't seen my abs since 2002.

ReputationRep:
    My abs is on my car

ReputationRep:
    I dish out Anti-talk Bitch Slaps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.