Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are people who work in the public sector getting an unfair advantage? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The average salary for a public sector worker is £28,000, in the private sector it is £23,000
    The percentage of public sector workers on final salary pensions is 91%, whereas in the private sector it is 11%. ( This is equivalent to having in excess of a 30% pay rise.)
    The public sector has far greater job security. For example, there have only been 10 teachers sacked in the last decade.
    This is being paid for by the 29 million private sector workers through taxation. Is this fair?

ReputationRep:
    *shrugs* Anyone can apply for a public sector job if they wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    *shrugs* Anyone can apply for a public sector job if they wish.
    Sadly the rest of us can't choose to pay for these public sector workers if we want!

ReputationRep:
    No. It's grossly unfair, but it works out well for Labour to employ a large public sector. It's pretty much free votes.

ReputationRep:
    Working in public sector, it's not as secure as you'd believe. Our whole department is being made redundant, and the same departments in every council in the UK are going through the same.

ReputationRep:
    That depends on what the average public sector worker is doing compared to the average private sector worker. I'd argue that a teacher or police officer deserves to be paid more than someone managing a Superdrug but that depends on the figures. Does anyone have any?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    The average salary for a public sector worker is £28,000, in the private sector it is £23,000
    The percentage of public sector workers on final salary pensions is 91%, whereas in the private sector it is 11%. ( This is equivalent to having in excess of a 30% pay rise.)
    The public sector has far greater job security. For example, there have only been 10 teachers sacked in the last decade.
    This is being paid for by the 29 million private sector workers through taxation. Is this fair?
    Ermm where did you get that quote? I very much doubt it's true!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    How is it "unfair"? Is it unfair any time someone is earning more than you?

You essentially choose how much you earn.

This is being paid for by the 29 million private sector workers through taxation.
    Do public sector workers not pay tax now? Do private sector workers not benefit from public services now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Taiko)
    Working in public sector, it's not as secure as you'd believe. Our whole department is being made redundant, and the same departments in every council in the UK are going through the same.
    About time.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...eachers-sacked

Hmmm this article seems to disprove your theory re:teachers..

ReputationRep:
    Time to slash, slash, slash.

ReputationRep:
    I was always under the impression the public sector paid less, but was consistent, while private pay usually fluctuated more but could reach much higher levels of pay

(with comparable workers that is: e.g. an NHS manager vs a Manager in a private firm)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edenr)
    Time to slash, slash, slash.
    Not at all - public service workers do jobs for the most part. Jobs that need doing.

This is just labour creating more and more people who are dependant on the government for their salaries - so of course these people would in turn oppose the conservatives who wish to keep government smaller and have less people involved in the public sector.

It's a real shame that the government screws over the private sector so often by hindering the markets and taxing the little guys excessive amounts - it forces these little guys to work for the government instead and become another labour voter.

But is this trend helping society? It isn't, it means the people of Britain have limited choices as more and more the government monopolises, and when it does't it ensures the private sectors are run by corporate giants. It means taxpayers money is being pumped into the ever expanding public sector, at a faster rate than goods and servises are improving - and its based around the notion that they know best how to spend our money.

Gordon Brown keeps using taxpayers money to "bailout" banks that have failed through bad economics. I don't believe that is the best way to spend my money, where is my choice? Can I start paying money where I want to pay my money instead, please?

In summary - the public sector needs to be ripped to shreds, it needs to be absolutely minimal, and the government needs to stop its restrictions on the private market to make it the viable and better alternative that it truly is when conditions and circumstances are fair.

ReputationRep:
    You aren't comparing like with like.

Most jobs in the public sector are full-time and fairly skilled. Clearly, teachers, doctors and skilled civil servants will receive more than part-time workers or unskilled workers.

When you compare like with like, you will see that public sector workers don't get paid more. Private sector lawyers, teachers, nurses, doctors, dentists, administrators and executives all get paid much less than their public sector counter-parts. Though the public sector employees have better pension schemes and better job security, so I guess its fairly even.

(Original post by CandyFlipper)
    It's a real shame that the government screws over the private sector so often by hindering the markets and taxing the little guys excessive amounts - it forces these little guys to work for the government instead and become another labour voter.
    1) Since when did working in the public sector automatically mean you vote Labour? Where did this come from?
    2) How do higher tax rates force people to work for the government? You pay the same rate of tax whether you work for the government or not.

ReputationRep:
    The next govt that gets in is slashing public sector jobs anyway, by something that I think is up to 20%. So a lot of them will have no job soon anyway

(Original post by jacketpotato)
    1) Since when did working in the public sector automatically mean you vote Labour? Where did this come from?
    2) How do higher tax rates force people to work for the government? You pay the same rate of tax whether you work for the government or not.
    To have job security in the public sector it is wise to vote labour over conservative, as the latter believes in smaller government and making cuts to the public sector.

And I mean that business taxes mean that its hard to enter the market in the private sector, and so unemployed and unable to go anywhere else, people turn increasingly towards the public sector for work. I would want to see the private sector encouraged more with fewer business taxes and regulations.

ReputationRep:
    To have job security in the public sector it is wise to vote labour over conservative, as the latter believes in smaller government and making cuts to the public sector.

And I mean that business taxes mean that its hard to enter the market in the private sector, and so unemployed and unable to go anywhere else, people turn increasingly towards the public sector for work. I would want to see the private sector encouraged more with fewer business taxes and regulations.
    Whilst thats broadly true on a very ideological level, I don't think its really borne out by current politics. Cameron has deliberately shied away from being clear on cuts. The only thing hes actually proposed so far has been ring-fencing the NHS and international development. He hasn't adopted any of the rhetoric of someone who wants to slash the public sector.

In fact, the Tories have demanded for higher salaries for nurses and soldiers fairly recently.... so it does depend where you are in the public sector.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8151355.stm

You can manipulate and present statistics in a manner that can easily fool the untrained eye.

Aso, have a look at http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/campaigns/n...aign-video.cfm

Comments on a postcard please

ReputationRep:
    Public sector workers were fired under tory govts?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.