Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are people who work in the public sector getting an unfair advantage? Watch

(Original post by jacketpotato)
    Whilst thats broadly true on a very ideological level, I don't think its really borne out by current politics. Cameron has deliberately shied away from being clear on cuts. The only thing hes actually proposed so far has been ring-fencing the NHS and international development. He hasn't adopted any of the rhetoric of someone who wants to slash the public sector.

In fact, the Tories have demanded for higher salaries for nurses and soldiers fairly recently.... so it does depend where you are in the public sector.
    True, labour and conservatives aren't always so different anyway - and so maybe talking about their differences is pointless. But the tories really are associated more with public sector slashing than labour is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    About time.
    Just remember that if you ever needed any help with student loans, because that's the department that's going. Not some pen-pushing "Mittens for Kittens" or "Pyjamas for Llamas" department, one that is probably of significant use to a lot of people. 17,000 in the area I'm in, and we're only a small authority.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    When you compare like with like, you will see that public sector workers don't get paid more. Private sector lawyers, teachers, nurses, doctors, dentists, administrators and executives all get paid much less than their public sector counter-parts. Though the public sector employees have better pension schemes and better job security, so I guess its fairly even.
    I agree. Quite obviously so, the average public sector wage was lower when the menial, low paid workers were government employed - now the cleaning, catering, security etc. is privatised throughout the government and these low-paid jobs are now lowering the private sector average wage.

ReputationRep:
    They might have in the past, but as soon as the Conservatives get into power there are going to be a lot of cuts in spending and public sector job security will go bye bye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyche05)
    They might have in the past, but as soon as the Conservatives get into power there are going to be a lot of cuts in spending and public sector job security will go bye bye.
    While that might bring down the wage bill, I'm not sure that it's going to bring down the average wage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    While that might bring down the wage bill, I'm not sure that it's going to bring down the average wage.
    True, but the cuts will probably also end with wages being frozen and pensions cut etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyche05)
    True, but the cuts will probably also end with wages being frozen and pensions cut etc.
    A lot of the wages are artificially low because of the pensions.

ReputationRep:
    i can't understand the assumption here that 'private sector worker' trumps 'public sector worker'.

Private sector:

lawyers
    bankers

Public Sector:

Teachers
    Doctors

IMO the public sector workers are much better value for what we pay them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scanningforlifeforms)
    i can't understand the assumption here that 'private sector worker' trumps 'public sector worker'.

Private sector:

lawyers
    bankers

Public Sector:

Teachers
    Doctors

The public sector doesnt have thousands of lawyers and bankers now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    The public sector doesnt have thousands of lawyers and bankers now?
    But they're not nearly as well paid, which is why (it's said at least) the talent goes to the private sector.

If that's true and I'm not convinced it is in all cases; ask yourself if you want the best criminal lawyers working for the CPS or the defence? Or if you want the best bankers working for the treasury or the offshore division of Barings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    But they're not nearly as well paid, which is why (it's said at least) the talent goes to the private sector.

If that's true and I'm not convinced it is in all cases; ask yourself if you want the best criminal lawyers working for the CPS or the defence? Or if you want the best bankers working for the treasury or the offshore division of Barings?
    Money isn't the only thing that motivates people. Throughout the public sector you will find there is a very strong culture of "public service" that is similar to that which you find in the military, the medical professions and the uniformed services.

If it was all about money, competition to get into the Civil Service Fast Stream, the Government Legal Service and the Government Economic Service would not be so strong - certainly not in the top 5 in the country.

The talent definitely does not all go to the private sector. People in those professions also switch. If they want more money, they can move to the private sector - who will often try to headhunt people in the public sector. (I've seen it in the planning field). Also, some people get tired of the rat race and working to make rich people richer, and decide to move into the public sector. Again, I've worked with people who have done exactly that, and they are excellent at what they do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rhyus)
    Money isn't the only thing that motivates people. Throughout the public sector you will find there is a very strong culture of "public service" that is similar to that which you find in the military, the medical professions and the uniformed services.
    I'm not sure that's true in my experience of the NHS. While most of the clinical staff are there for the 'public service' (and the fact that there's not that much private work) I don't think the same culture applies in the administrative and management side where people are knocking off at half-four on the dot and working to rule. I'm sure there are exceptions, I'm just not convinced they're as widespread as you make out.

ReputationRep:

Private sector:

lawyers
    bankers

Public Sector:

Teachers
    Doctors

protip: there are teachers and doctors in the private sector

ReputationRep:
    but the majority aren't. There are public sector lawyers and bankers, but again, they're a minority.

ReputationRep:
    but the majority aren't. There are public sector lawyers and bankers, but again, they're a minority.
    And the majority in the private sector arent either

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.