Turn on thread page Beta

Nose piercing-to have or not to have?! watch

ReputationRep:
    not sure if this is the right place to put this but anyways. ive been wanting to get my nose pierced for a long time, and i decided that i would get it done next week. only problem is is that my mum really really doesnt want me to get it done, ive explained that i can always take it out when im really old lol but she's still against it. i got it done when i was 15/16 and didnt ask her, kind of told a pack of lies etc, and she and my dad went mad so i took it out but i feel that since my sister got her belly button done when she was 17, its fair for me to get my nose done at 19/nearly 20.

im only going to get a little diamond stud, not a ring or anything, and ive told her, but she's still very much against it. she wants me to wait til i go to uni so i can get it done then, but i feel that doing it then would make me seem like i was trying to follow a certain 'crowd' sort of thing. basically i just need some advice on whether to get it done, or get it done now or later because i really dont want to cause an argument! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    There should be no arguments if you're sister got her belly done at 17 and she was okay with that.. it seems she's against your piercing because it's more visible as it's located on your face. You're almost 20 and by that age i think you should do as you want - you're mother needs to accept it, it sounds like she still treats you as a young teen.. i really don't see what there is for your parents to argue about. It's you and your piercing.. get it done if you really want it.

ReputationRep:
    you're nearly 20 and not having your nose re-pierced because of what your parents say?! ignore them, you're an adult. get it done!

ReputationRep:
    You're a consenting adult. Stuff what your parents think - their love should be unconditional. If they fall out with you over a piercing at your age, then I'd rather not have them as parents tbh.

ReputationRep:
    hey im 19 and recently got my nose pierced just after my first year at uni. i didnt tell my parents i had got it done and waited until i got home for the summer to tell them. my parents were a little shocked and surprised but they didnt seem to mind in the end. im really glad i had it done, its a tiny stud and i know if i had told my parents, they would have probably talked me out of it.
    i think you should go for it, you're the perfect age to get it done, because at this age, its kinda seen the norm and people dont see it as a negative thing.

ReputationRep:
    you're over 18, you don't need her persmission, whats she going to do, rip it out?! she might not like it at first but she'll get used to it, do it!!

ReputationRep:
    Why not just wait? If you want it that much then hopefully you should still want it when you're at uni! I always think when you're living in your parents house it's best to - at least visibly! - respect their rules. You could always try and see if somewhere will let you have it pierced with a glass quartz stud? That way it will just look like a little black dot, and after it heals you can change it into a pretty diamond stud when they're not around. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Id say not, their really not attractive in the slightest. If anything the opposite

ReputationRep:
    dont look good, so no....

ReputationRep:
    It's your choice and your parents can't baby/be protective of/control you forever - you need to make them realise this.

ReputationRep:
    My friend has a little pink stud, and before she got it I wasn't keen on nose piercings, but hers looks really good You're an adult now, if you want one go for it. If your parents complain you can always blame me for egging you on :p:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely get it done noww!
    So that your mum realizes you actually can make you own decisions seeing as you are nearly 20!

Your mum wont have much of an argument anyway if your sister has her belly done

ReputationRep:
    Where I live you can move out from 16 without parental permission, so It's kind of ridiculous that your parents won't let you get a nose piercing when your four years older than that.

ReputationRep:
    If you want it go for it... But, someone make a thread finding guys opinions on piercings? Personally really not a fan, wonder what other lads think..

ReputationRep:
    I have one. My parents were okay with it, it's just a small stud so it's nothing over the top. If you do it get and your mum gets angry, I doubt it'll be for very long. And I don't understand why you have to wait until University, she'll still see it when you come home.

ReputationRep:
    I think the reason she wants you to wait is she hopes you will grow out of the idea. I didnt tell my mum, I knew she would go skits but I thought why not, its my body...plus she lives in a different country so she couldnt beat my ass hahaha. I told her over the phone, we had this huge ***** fight and now its just not mentioned. She still hates it but there is nothing she can do so its just taboo now. Im really glad I did it though, I like it and I did it for myself, no one else, I dont regret it but if i did I would have to live with the consequences and thats simply what llife is. It was kind of a life lesson coz I always so what people expect of me. Felt good to take control for once
    I say do it. Have it for a while and if you wanna take it out then you can, no big. Parents have to at some point come realize they cant control you anymore, you have to make your own decisions and live with them. She will get over it.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.