Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am thinking of joining the RAF as a mtd or supplier but there is no info on day to day jobs anyone have a idea of what they do daily.When would be the best time to go into the AFCO I read it takes about 6months for your application to get sorted and I was planning on starting my fitness when I goto see them or would I be better getting up to RAF standards and then going in?also my running is really bad I used to go for 2mile runs and the fastet i ever done it in was 16mins and I would struggle to go further what sort of distances do you run at training is it alot of 5+mile runs or is that a rare thing?

ReputationRep:
    If you've not got anything holding you back right now, e.g, exams of whatever, then I would start on the fitness side of things ASAP. You should be able to comfortably run 5 miles at a steady pace.

Also go to see your AFCO straight away as well. You aren't tied into anything if you just go to visit to discuss a career in the RAF. From experience, 6 months is probably just about the minimum time from application to starting training. It is likely to be longer than that at the moment due to the RAF already fulfilling their recruitment quota for many trades and branches.

As for specific info on the day to day activities of a MTD or Supplier I cannot help you personally. I would suggest having a good search on here. Also go and see your AFCO, they will be able to give you all the literature you need on these. I would also suggest sorting out a station visit to go and see the jobs in a day to day environment.

Hope this helps a bit.

Rgds.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing holding me back is work.I read fitnss plan that is for 5k fun run and it starts off as run 1min walk 1min by week 7 it had you running 2miles constant are these any good and I take it if i can get my 1.5 under 12mins and can run 5k that would leave me fit enough to start raf training.I am ok with my upper body stuff,also I cant wim would they teach you or do have have to learn before you go?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    OK - don't worry about swimming - you'll not have to drown in front of others. They have had non-swimmers join. Your fitness is something you need to work on and we can't help you with that. You need to fit that in with your life as you would do when in the RAF. Find time.

MTD and Supplier are now both Logistics Trades and known as Logistics (Supply) and Logistics (Driver). Both are great Trades - not the 'glamour' of engineering, but just as essential and probably more varied and with more chance to think for yourself rather than following engineering instructions.
    Both are good for getting responsibility as early as you show ability and both deploy wherever the RAF deploys. Driver, as you'd expect, is more about being out on the road in any vehicle you are trained for - Supply is more about running the supply system that keeps everything going. As you move up the ranks you are less hands on, but that is the same for any Trade.

If you have any specific questions about either Trade, please ask.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know the specifics of your current job but when wouldn't work be holding you back? Anyway, I would suggest starting your application straight away once you know its what you want to do. The process does take a while, you can be working on your fitness in the mean time. I don't know how fit you are but you should be able to get fit enough before training. As for the specifics of your fitness work, I would suggest getting a good base level of fitness to start with. I.e where you can run for 30 minutes without too much trouble at a reasonable pace. Once you can do this, I would mix it up a bit. So alternate between speed (20 minutes quick pace) and endurance runs (45+ minutes). This will aid leg strength and stamina. Remember you're joining the armed forces so your fitness might save your life one day, so it is vital that you are as fit as you can be. I guess its about commitment... the more committed you are to your fitness, the more gains you will notice.

As for the swimming, I think their was a thread on this recently, something like "Swimming at Halton". I don't know much about it because I haven't been through RTS myself yet.

Regards

ReputationRep:
    You may also find that a quick trip onto the RAF Website will be able to give you more specific information about the various trades available.

ReputationRep:
    There's a pretty informative vid for the Supplier trade (which is what I'm going for aswell) on the RAF Careers website. Gives a brief but helpful look at the variety of jobs that suppliers do, from Stock Control to Aviation Fuel purity tests (I believe that's what it is anyway).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yes - we have some people qualified up to CLA - or Chemical Lab Assistants. Their role is to ensure the fuel they deliver is up to the high standards required for our aircraft by carrying out a number of tests on the fuel. This is an essential part of flight safety and a good feather in the cap for any of those working in fuels. The RAF have a higher pass rate on that course than the Army - just thought I'd add that!

ReputationRep:
    As an RAF Supplier, do they give the chance of dealing with fuels in general to everyone? definately sounds like something I'd potentially be interested in..

That and I like the smell of petrol haha.

ReputationRep:
    I have been on the website a few imes and when it comes too telling yo what sort of things you do it is very vague.I will go into AFCO in the next few weeks when I have started my fitness.What job would be the quickest too get into.How long does the phase 2 training last for both jobs.I have looked about on this site and there is not much about these jobs it is all Pilots and wsops or medical jobs.I read about getting degrees etc in the raf is that open to anyone or just officers?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Most anyone can work in Fuels at some point. You can request it but obviously the RAF will put you where it needs to first.

juve - you need to ask which job you want to do for the next 20 years - not which one is quickest to get into. This will be a long time and you want to be interested and happy for the rest of your career. Not 100% sure on Phase 2 training times, but is that really important to you?
    Anyone can study for any recognized, certificated qualification, within reason. All members of the Armed Forces get an education allowance and you can use that as you see fit. This is in addition to your work duties of course.

ReputationRep:
    Juve, RAF Supplier Trade Training is an additional 2 months course at RAF Halton, so once you've done basic, I'd imagine that you'll just stay put until trade training starts.

Has it's advantages of you being already familiarised with Halton in the first place.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I will check, but I think that the basic Supply course is longer than 2 months - just over 13 weeks I think. Most MT Driver training is, obviously, at the Defence School of Transport at Leconfield.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry bout the post before with all the +++--- in it my dog was jumping about me and I never knew it got posted lol.anyway my fitness is gonna have to wait I have swine flu according to nhs 24 but I think i have had it for a few days anyway( I think I should tell my work) and it aint that bad it is is nothing compaired to man flu,Anyway is the raf police a hard job to get into I was looking at it and it has the same entry requirments as the other 2 jobs would it be worth waiting a year or so or when your in can you change jobs after a few years

ReputationRep:
    RAF help

Hi guys, im looking for some help with my RAF filter interview. ive already found some really help stuff, but im looking for some information on EFT. I was hoping some could help with the flying hours for each Fast Jet, Rotary, and Fixed Wing flying hours,
    thanks

xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.