The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone else?
They can be lynched.
Make a complaint first to the seller, they should either refund or exchange. If not take it further and make a complaint to eBay about the item being misdescribed, it takes a while but you should get your money back. They are in the wrong and you are in the right :yep:
Reply 4

Threaten to leave them some negative feedback! Muhaha
Reply 5
JumpingJonny
Make a complaint first to the seller, they should either refund or exchange. If not take it further and make a complaint to eBay about the item being misdescribed, it takes a while but you should get your money back. They are in the wrong and you are in the right :yep:

I've heard stories about people buying fake Nokias and never getting their money back. :sad:
Reply 6
Did you buy via paypal? Makes it far easier.
Reply 7
G8D
I'm pretty sure you should be able to contact eBay and get either a refund or an item that follows the description.

If this is not the case then it really should be, especially since they seem to be ignoring you (?)

Go away. You've have your chance for reasonable input.
Reply 8
J_Hunter
Threaten to leave them some negative feedback! Muhaha

No, don't. Feedback extension will actually remove any chance of you getting what you want.

If the seller doesn't respond, open a SNAD (Significally not as described) claim with PayPal. They have to respond there, else you can escalate and force a refund. That is, assuming you paid via PayPal.
This is what I was looking for:

Sale of Goods Legislation
The most important piece of legislation relating to the sale of goods through eBay.co.uk is the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended).
The Act provides that wherever goods are bought they must “conform to contract”. This means that items sold through eBay by business sellers must be:

of "satisfactory quality";
"as described"; and
"fit for purpose".
Therefore goods sold by business sellers must not be inherently faulty at the time of sale, must match any description given to them and, allowing for factors like price, they must be fit for their purpose, defect free, safe and durable.
Where the seller is a private individual, the goods must be “as described”. The goods are not legally required to be of “satisfactory quality” or “fit for purpose”.

The Sale of Goods Act applies to both new and used items. It's worth bearing in mind that second-hand goods are likely to be judged less rigorously new goods. For example, it's not reasonable to expect that used goods will be of the same quality as new goods. In any event, sellers of second hand goods remain under an obligation to ensure that the goods are as described.

When a business seller is selling an item to a consumer, any loss and damage to the goods that occur in transit are at the seller’s risk. Therefore, in these cases, a buyer should not have to pay for postal insurance.

For information on Sale of Goods legislation, we recommend that you read the brief description and facts sheet produced by BERR:

Which confirms what I said above, you can take action through eBay, did you pay using paypal?
Reply 10
Kagutsuchi
If I buy an item of ebay and the item doesn't match the description what actions will be taken against the seller if he/she doesn't return my replies?

Make sure they reply to your questions before you pay. Otherwise going through Paypal can get you your money back if you used Paypal to transfer the money but its still a hassle.
Reply 11
G8D
*had

I iz sorries.

Pedantry doesn't fly well with me. :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Also, make sure to buy from somebody that has high positive feedback :yep:.
Kagutsuchi
I iz sorries.

NOOOOO!!! ILIDIO!!!
Kagutsuchi
I iz sorries.

Try contacting the seller and sayi you want a refund. If the seller fails to respond or refuses log into paypal and open a dispute in resolution centre. Put the reason as item not as described and give further details. Should get your money back within 1-2 weeks
Reply 15
if the adveert for the fake nokias said 'nokia mobile phone, bought from the carphone warehouse' then they'd get a refund as the description was incorrect (a fake nokia cannot be bought in a CW shop)
had the advert said 'nokia mobile phone - new' and it was new and had nokia written on it, they wouldn't get a refund. the item was as described.

as someone else said, pay with paypal, if there's a problem then question the seller, if the seller doesn't help you then open a dispute with paypal.
if all this fails then leave some bad feedback and hope that you don't get something horrid in return!
Reply 16
G8D
Just fighting back, my friend.

I don't care. :hmpf:
Kagutsuchi

Can I ask when you sent the message to the seller, if it more than a week ago then I would open up a dispute with ebay. Once I bought an iPod from ebay it never turned up, I made a complaint and got my money back.

How much did you pay, as it took several weeks many emails and alot of hassle.

best of luck with getting it back im sure you will it just takes time :yep:
MazMaz
if the adveert for the fake nokias said 'nokia mobile phone, bought from the carphone warehouse' then they'd get a refund as the description was incorrect (a fake nokia cannot be bought in a CW shop)
had the advert said 'nokia mobile phone - new' and it was new and had nokia written on it, they wouldn't get a refund. the item was as described.

as someone else said, pay with paypal, if there's a problem then question the seller, if the seller doesn't help you then open a dispute with paypal.
if all this fails then leave some bad feedback and hope that you don't get something horrid in return!

buyers cannot recieve bad feedback. Ebay implemented a new system meaning sellers can only leave postitive feedback. Quite stupid in my opinion as many non paying bidders can get away.
Reply 19
Kagutsuchi

Ebay holds the seller responsible for the item description so go through ebay to sort it out...
Try to be nice but don't let that stop you...

Latest

Trending

Trending