ReputationRep:
    hi

I jus got my ukcat result and i didnt do dat great:
    VR 460
    QR 420
    AR 540
    DA 670

average result of 522

I know it aint that great but i feel as if i have got a strong application for entry in 2010 but will this bring me down:confused:

Iam hopin to apply to birmingham, sheffiled, leeds, and bristol or newcastle

Especially for those who got into dentistry with ukcat scores like mine

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ahh nostalgia hitting me!!
    I completely hated that damned ukcat lol, i really couldn't see how it could assess us in any way.

Remind me again, does dentistry application procedure have interviews?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member5)
    hi

VR 460
    QR 420
    AR 540
    DA 670

average result of 522

I know it aint that great but i feel as if i have got a strong application for entry in 2010 but will this bring me down:confused:

Thanks
    i would say leave sheffield because they like ukcat scores of about the 650 mark.the other choices should be fine because they dont use the UKCAT apart from newcastle but i dont think that they weigh it to heavily when assessing applications. May be wrong about them though

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wisdom-tooth)
    Apply to B'ham, Leeds, Liverpool and Bristol.
    how come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mozzi)
    Ahh nostalgia hitting me!!
    I completely hated that damned ukcat lol, i really couldn't see how it could assess us in any way.

Remind me again, does dentistry application procedure have interviews?
    Yes. lol

hi

VR 460
    QR 420
    AR 540
    DA 670

average result of 522

I know it aint that great but i feel as if i have got a strong application for entry in 2010 but will this bring me down

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry about it.. Not all Uni's look at the UKCAT test results... I can't remember off hand which uni's they are but ask around and you will find them

GREAT score in the DA btw :rolleyes:

The thing you want to focus on are your A levels and getting work experience. 3 weeks is a must really!

ReputationRep:
    go for uni's that dont ask for the UKCAT, its not the be all an end all, ive got into Sheffield an my average is 590, depends on your application as a whole..

ReputationRep:
    mate, definitely apply to Birmigham and Bristol because they are not UKCAT heavy universities. Make sure you've got at least 7A*s at GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Focus more on making the grades and preparing for the interview they put more weight on those aspects.

Oh and as mentioned somewhere above, gain work experience!!
    A good personal statement is crucial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mozzi)
    Focus more on making the grades and preparing for the interview they put more weight on those aspects.

Oh and as mentioned somewhere above, gain work experience!!
    A good personal statement is crucial
    Sheffield don't give a toss about UKCAT! Well they do, but they use it as a last resort to differentiate candidates!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoOtYdUdE)
    Sheffield don't give a toss about UKCAT! Well they do, but they use it as a last resort to differentiate candidates!
    yes but they still weigh it with the rest of your application. Are you willing to take the risk? Comparing OP with someone elses application would probably mean that the latter would more likely be called up for interview because of a higher UKCAT score

ReputationRep:
    hi

VR 460
    QR 420
    AR 540
    DA 670

average result of 522

Thanks
    Ukcat score is only one of many components to an application.
    Don't fret! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how much emphasis cardiff and manchester put on the ukcat? anyone who got an interview in previous years from those unis, what was your ukcat? thank youu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by regis)
    i would say leave sheffield because they like ukcat scores of about the 650 mark.the other choices should be fine because they dont use the UKCAT apart from newcastle but i dont think that they weigh it to heavily when assessing applications. May be wrong about them though
    You are very wrong.

Newcastle just put a list of the top 100 UKCAT scores, cut off a line and give offers to the highest UKCAT scores.

So OP, I wouldn't advise Newcastle, Sheffield or Birmingham unless you have very good grades at both GCSE and AS/A-level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbs_aly)
    does anyone know how much emphasis cardiff and manchester put on the ukcat? anyone who got an interview in previous years from those unis, what was your ukcat? thank youu
    Cardiff put a fair bit of emphasis.

You need atleast average so mid or high 600 would be good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    You are very wrong.

Newcastle just put a list of the top 100 UKCAT scores, cut off a line and give offers to the highest UKCAT scores.

So OP, I wouldn't advise Newcastle, Sheffield or Birmingham unless you have very good grades at both GCSE and AS/A-level
    dont think that is right. I know someone who got into newcastle with a score of 600 so highly unlikely they rank

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by regis)
    dont think that is right. I know someone who got into newcastle with a score of 600 so highly unlikely they rank
    600 is average so it's a respectable score.

Atleast I heard they rank so maybe it's for the interview and then look at other things...:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    You are very wrong.

It isnt VERY wrong, I got an average of 590, which i dont think is that great, an i got an offer from sheffield, my GCSE'S are also rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KirstyJK)
    It isnt VERY wrong, I got an average of 590, which i dont think is that great, an i got an offer from sheffield, my GCSE'S are also rubbish.
    I was talking about Newcastle.

Sheffield are a funny one, they can take people with low grades and UKCAT if they have good A-levels, personal statement and work experience but generally they want people with higher grades.

Am I right in thinking you had a good personal statement, predicted grades and a few weeks work experience?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 21, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.