Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So ive got a place at James Watson...wahooo :woo: :woo: :woo:
    however i have one small problem and thats my car...ive been told that if u live in any of the Guildhall halls u cant bring ur car..which is kinda stupid as i live in london and i dont really fancy paying for train or coach fare when i have a perfect running car at home...

so my question is... are any of you bringing ur car to portsmouth? and if yes where are u gonna park it?

and for people in 2nd and 3rd year, where did u park your car when livin in halls for yr 1st year????

ReputationRep:
    there is no where to park it and if you did find parking near guildhall (you wont) it would be very expensive.

ReputationRep:
    As your going to be living in guildhall you will have to sign an agreement saying u wont bring a car to portsmouth.

ReputationRep:
    Everything is so close, you really dont need a car.
    And a London travelcard is only about £20 with a 16-25 railcard.
    There is no where you can park it at JW without paying a lot, so unless you find a nice friend living in a private house where you can park it dont bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sour_Cream)
    So ive got a place at James Watson...wahooo :woo: :woo: :woo:
    however i have one small problem and thats my car...ive been told that if u live in any of the Guildhall halls u cant bring ur car..which is kinda stupid as i live in london and i dont really fancy paying for train or coach fare when i have a perfect running car at home...

so my question is... are any of you bringing ur car to portsmouth? and if yes where are u gonna park it?

and for people in 2nd and 3rd year, where did u park your car when livin in halls for yr 1st year????
    The contract states that when you sign it, it means you're agreeing to the fact that you cannot have a car whilst you live in Guildhall. Leave it at home, park it, and just ask the insurance company for insurance for it to be parked on the street at home. If you really want to bring your car, you'd have to find a private house, pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    Sell your car and get a bike.

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same situation. I live in London and have a place at Harry Law halls. I would like to bring my car to Portsmouth, but it looks like your all saying you need a private house? Is there not parking facilities around the actual Uni buildings to use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petrells)
    Im in the same situation. I live in London and have a place at Harry Law halls. I would like to bring my car to Portsmouth, but it looks like your all saying you need a private house? Is there not parking facilities around the actual Uni buildings to use?
    If you'd actually been to Portsmouth you'd realise how much of a stupid question that is.
    There is literally nowhere to park.

ReputationRep:
    relax jerdboy..im sure petrells understands now..ive been portsmouth a few times doesnt mean i know what the area is like on parking, so he/she was only asking a question..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jerdboy)
    If you'd actually been to Portsmouth you'd realise how much of a stupid question that is.
    There is literally nowhere to park.
    Ive been on this forum...what a day?

Very friendly people.

I have visited Portsmouth, Once. It was the open day and I only really checked my course and one of the halls of residence and I was gone. I didnt have time to go around hunting for car spaces.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my mates in halls parked at their friends' houses in Southsea, but they needed their cars because they played in regional hockey tournaments every weekend so needed to drive up and down the country.

Think about it though - people here are saying that there are 7k freshers this year. Well, there are a load more 2nd and 3rd years with cars, not to mention the residents. If half those people had cars and parked in Pompey then there will be far too many.

You could try parking, but there is honestly no need if you're only going home once a month, £20 will work out cheaper in train fares than paying insurance, MOT, repairs and depreciation on your car.

I sold mine and used the money for booze/ having a wicked first year at Pompey

ReputationRep:
    Thank you my dear

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

As Cracendale said dont go home, its pointless, i wish i had taken this advise when i started! You get to know so many more people and when you leave (like i have) you will only want to go back!

I lived on Hudson Rd in my 3rd year and there are about 4 roads next to each other there which have free parking on, and not that far from your halls (about 5 min walk) so you can leave your car there if you really think you will need it. I liked having my car in the Third year as i needed to get to places i was getting work experience at etc, but i did not need it at all in the first 2 years. Taxi's in Portsmouth are very cheep and worth jumping in one of those for short trips.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 20, 2009

University open days

1. University of Portsmouth
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.