Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do arms actually get bigger? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Hammer curls do not hit the inner head of the bi extremely hard, but they are well activated and more importantly the brachialis is pounded.
    I can't sing enough praise for these bad boys, especially done on machine preacher style.

Bi's look more awesome since I added them in, aren't much bigger just helluva lot more developed esp when arms are straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonboym)
    mate, if your arms are like walking sticks then it's likely your chest is also small, because how could you bench or do chest excercises with tiny arms?

you need to use ALL your muscles. if you only do your arms and leave the rest of you, then you wont actually be able to use your arms for actual lifting outside the gym because you need the whole of you to lift something (legs, back, chest...)

focus on compound excercises.
    Actually my chest is pretty big. As I said, my body is allright. It's just my arms that are really thin (in comparison to the rest of my body). That's just the way my body is.

I just want to concentrate on arm excersises. I won't really be lifting much heavy stuff outside of the gym and I'm only doing this to get the look, so I want to concentrate just on my arms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boxingfan91)
    Actually my chest is pretty big. As I said, my body is allright. It's just my arms that are really thin (in comparison to the rest of my body). That's just the way my body is.

I just want to concentrate on arm excersises. I won't really be lifting much heavy stuff outside of the gym and I'm only doing this to get the look, so I want to concentrate just on my arms.
    How big's your chest?

It's your choice mate, but you will get better results (for your arms) if you don't solely work your arms. Like I say though, it's your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    it's something a lot of people say to make themselves feel better because they aren't doing curls because that's sooo whatever

that somehow avoiding direct arm work is a good thing

everyone who has maximised their arm development does direct arm work

squats give ur body stimulus to grow overall, but it's not going to magically make ur arms bust out unless u hit them directly in addition to overall body work
    We can't all have swole leg and arm genetics like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    We can't all have swole leg and arm genetics like you.
    My point was, please find me where these people with massive arms are that aren't doing direct arm work?

Heavy Back work should be done, but so should curls n such

you need both to maximise arm size

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    I can't sing enough praise for these bad boys, especially done on machine preacher style.

Bi's look more awesome since I added them in, aren't much bigger just helluva lot more developed esp when arms are straight.
    What are hammer curls?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare)
    What are hammer curls?
    http://asp.elitefts.com/images/uploa...mer%20curl.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought they were ineffective as you use the momentum your body creates to lift the weight and not the muscle.

Edit: just checked a youtube vid and it looks different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdlY5xhvZ_Y

Is that right or wrong?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I've always thought they were ineffective as you use the momentum your body creates to lift the weight and not the muscle.

Edit: just checked a youtube vid and it looks different: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdlY5xhvZ_Y

Is that right or wrong?
    Nothing wrong with using a bit of 'body English' (i.e. momentum) to help lift the weight. This becomes pretty much essential at heavier weights. Look at the pros: they use a lot of body English but look at their arms. It obviously works. This is because it overloads the negative, in basic terms. And it's not as if a hammer curl is something that can really **** you up if your form goes to ****, like the big lifts can.

You can try them super slow but if you're not using much weight then you won't get much, if anything, out of it. Case in point: me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Nothing wrong with using a bit of 'body English' (i.e. momentum) to help lift the weight. This becomes pretty much essential at heavier weights. Look at the pros: they use a lot of body English but look at their arms. It obviously works. This is because it overloads the negative, in basic terms. And it's not as if a hammer curl is something that can really **** you up if your form goes to ****, like the big lifts can.

You can try them super slow but if you're not using much weight then you won't get much, if anything, out of it. Case in point: me.
    Hmmm its just that I've looked at a few videos and they all emphasise not to use momentum (body english:rolleyes: ) as its cheating...I will ask someone at the gym.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm its just that I've looked at a few videos and they all emphasise not to use momentum (body english:rolleyes: ) as its cheating...I will ask someone at the gym.
    You're right, but then most bodybuilders didn't get where they were without a bit of 'Body English' :p:

ReputationRep:
    Try doing some heavy hammer curls first, see how easy they are WITH momentum.

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing heavy cardio sessions as well they will 'appear' to get smaller. This has been the case with me recently when I started my cutting routine, but i'm still lifting more or less the same weight as before starting the routine.

But that's merely from losing excess fat, not muscle mass.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.