Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This was film. In a class where we are meant to be serious, we spent a lot of our time laughing...specially over the male gaze..or as it sounds "the male gays" Think that got me through most days, thinking of that and then extremely dirty/wrong names for our teams.

ReputationRep:
    Not at my time in sixth form. Everyone is the same... :/

ReputationRep:
    In terms of laughing around etc no, but attitude to work very much so.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I found that people were a lot more mature... a lot of it has to do with the fact that going to sixth form is a choice, and a lot of the most immature people from Year 11 decide they want to go there and then; so the attitude towards work is a lot less apathetic than at GCSE/GNVQ/etc. There does seem to be quite a discrepancy though... like when I did Music Tech last year, people just messed around in lessons and barely did any work, whereas in Further Maths, French and Psychology people just did the work. So in terms of academic stuff at least people become more mature.

Socially, people might still be silly a lot of the time but that's just for fun; I don't think it necessarily reflects immaturity. You'll see what I mean. For example, people stop being knobheads for the sake of it, and the idea of having a girlfriend isn't a novelty that makes everyone talk about it for weeks.

Sixth form's the bridge between school and uni so some people are already quite mature and others catch up over the two years (and some never do).

ReputationRep:
    I meant as in more mature towards work. Just wondered because I really want to do well if I get a place and if there's the silly ones about, I won't be able to work etc. Good to know I'll be with more mature peoplez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    Right, I've just applied for some AS Levels with hopes that I can progress onto Uni and study computer game design. I was just curious if AS Level students were a bit more mature because they know that this is the open door.

I did a GNVQ when I was 16 and we were incredibly immature because we didn't really care. Not that immaturity would make me change my mind just I'd prefer to be in a more mature environment.

Hope that all made sense, I'm tired.

You really want to study computer game design? There arent that many jobs in the UK for that (assuming thats where you are from based on quals). So you have to be bright and good as its a lot of kids dreams. Is it perhaps better to study computer science with the aim to really understand how to program and the theory and then learn the practise later.

What are you interested in about computer game design? graphics? ai? general coding? artist? plot designer? testing the game?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdloanio)
    You really want to study computer game design? There arent that many jobs in the UK for that (assuming thats where you are from based on quals). So you have to be bright and good as its a lot of kids dreams. Is it perhaps better to study computer science with the aim to really understand how to program and the theory and then learn the practise later.

What are you interested in about computer game design? graphics? ai? general coding? artist? plot designer? testing the game?
    Computer Game design was one of a few. The others were I believe something like the mentioned computer science because I'd love to be able to write programs and such like. There's also multimedia computing which I wouldn't mind doing. I've only looked at the prospectus' for my local uni so there's probably loads more available around the country.

I'm not 100% certain I wanna do uni yet, I'm currently fousing on trying to get on this ICT or media course and having a few more qualifications under my belt.

ReputationRep:
    In Lower Sixth, not particularly. In my experience, regarding maturity there was a huge difference between Lower and Upper Sixth; I guess that's what a year of sweating sumat fierce over UCAS/life outside the bubble does to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    Computer Game design was one of a few. The others were I believe something like the mentioned computer science because I'd love to be able to write programs and such like. There's also multimedia computing which I wouldn't mind doing. I've only looked at the prospectus' for my local uni so there's probably loads more available around the country.

I'm not 100% certain I wanna do uni yet, I'm currently fousing on trying to get on this ICT or media course and having a few more qualifications under my belt.
    Ok cool. If you do Computer Science, you can get in to gaming, I know a few, its an academic subject and will probably hold you well for it. You not only learn how to code( this can be a small part of some computer science courses) but you can learn about graphics and AI (the theory). You can apply it to many things.

Graphics is basically maths, its complicated geometry and physics, gaming needs to be done in real time, so its about finding the short cuts. AI is a more abstract maths, its a way of creating rules to mimic human behaviour. Coding has to be very robust and alot of it is off loaded to the GPU....so you dont get the same freedom you do in other industries. I would be wary of taking te view, I like to play computer games, therefore i would like to make them.

The multimedia course might give you more options, especially if it includes the web and new means of communication. Although I dont really know much about that area.

If you decide not to go in to gaming you can easily go along to a financial institution or a software house with a general degree, it would be harder to get a job in these places with multimedia and gaming degrees, as they arent that relevant/well established.

Really check out the content of the courses, ask lots of questions. Computer science and its similar courses vary significantly between institutions.

I hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that. I think I'd go for multimedia if anything having read all that and the prspectus. It's another 2 years til I can really start thinking about that though. I'm pretty confident I'm gonna get into this ICT A Level though. So, yeah, I'll tell you what I've chosen to do in a couple of years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.