Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bent Over Barbell Rows Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey Y'all. I've just got back from the gym (beast session) and today focussed on shoulders and back:

- lat pull down
    - seated rows
    - lat raises
    - bent over rows
    - upright rows.

Now, it was my first time trying bent over rows and I was warned that it was a 'dangerous exercise and could injure my back'. I tried as best I could to avoid the incorrect position and assume the correct one...refer to diagram:

However, after the workout my back has been aching. not in a bad way... It just feels like my lower back has had a workout and is tired. There are no sharp pains, just muscle ache. I am concerned by this as I assumed bent over rows were a lat exercise and not a lower back exercise. If my lower back feels tired after the bent over rows...am I doing something wrong or is this normal. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    well you were using your lower back muscles to keep you from hitting the floor with your face. so yeah, it's normal.

ReputationRep:
    Your erectors and abs keep your torso from not being pulled to the floor by the weight so you should expect them being worked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    Hey Y'all. I don't know ****.
    My opinion about barbell rows is as follows: **** barbell rows. Really. **** them.

Stop wasting time worrying about barbell rows and get your deadlift up to 500.

By then you'll have your own opinion and you won't have to worry about mine.

ReputationRep:
    I have avoided bent over rows because they give me lower back pain after. I just do seated rows instead.

ReputationRep:
    You have an odd bottom.

ReputationRep:
    they work isometrically buddy.

and a slight contraction if u move ur torso

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    You have an odd bottom.
    like a baboon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomTeeTom)
    I have avoided bent over rows because they give me lower back pain after. I just do seated rows instead.
    Do Pendlay style or T-Bar rows then. Compounds always win.

ReputationRep:
    Being tall with a long back I used to hate them. I dislike the position you have to be in .I even tried one armed dumbell rows but nearly gave myself a hernia because of the amount of weight I usually use with the barbell!

But recently I went back to them and to be honest I have got to like them .I sort of flex my back muscles when doing them now and the good thing about barbell rows is, it can hit the rear shoulders too as well as the back. I see them as a necesscary evil now. I do t bar rows once a week too , which seems to hit the middle back more.

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as a 'beast' session for back where there is no varient of the deadlift performed.

Barbell rows made you fdeel your lower back worked? Get a stronger lower back bab, there is no way that **** should ache after just rows.

Dip, grip and rip!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    There is no such thing as a 'beast' session for back where there is no varient of the deadlift performed.

Barbell rows made you fdeel your lower back worked? Get a stronger lower back bab, there is no way that **** should ache after just rows.

Dip, grip and Rip!
    Yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    Yes?
    You don't know that saying? How very interesting :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    You don't know that saying? How very interesting :ninja:
    My name is synonymous with the deadlift.

ReputationRep:
    My name is synonymous with the deadlift.
    Ahh lol with you, my bad I need more coffee and more thinking of my deadlifts tonight to focus my wandering mind

ReputationRep:
    By gawd, it ain't funny. I'm gonna wipe the floor with ya, then whup yer ass for not gettin' in the corners.

ReputationRep:
    By gawd, it ain't funny. I'm gonna wipe the floor with ya, then whup yer ass for not gettin' in the corners.
    I am sure you will, much as I am sure I will pull 1500lbs off the floor tonight.
    Late night or early morning for you today?

ReputationRep:
    Dupe account is getting boring.

ReputationRep:
    I've had at least one sucker.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8&postcount=50

ReputationRep:
    Ah well fun while it lasted, we should get him over hear to read the stuff

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.