Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A small question...

Will having not done Business studies at A level and doing Economics instead, put me at a disadvantage compared to other candidates who have done business studies?

(For applying for a course in Business and Management or Management studies)

ReputationRep:
    Depends where at. If your aiming for a competitive Uni A-level economics is better than business studies.

ReputationRep:
    Are you joking?! If anything they will be asking you why the hell are you bothering with the puny Business studies than the mighty economics. Seriously though. Why?

ReputationRep:
    buisness studies is like stupid people's economics. At A-level anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Ok, cool yeah i was aiming for more higher end universities. I wanted to do Business and management because from what I have heard from tutors and whatever, Economics at University has lots of calculus which I struggled with.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why business studies gets so much abuse. I did Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Business Studies at A level. Most likely I will get a B in business and A's in the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milch)
    I don't know why business studies gets so much abuse. I did Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Business Studies at A level. Most likely I will get a B in business and A's in the others.
    It's because it's seen inferior to economics for more or less everything - even business studies/management degrees. & it is really easy, you must just be better at maths and chem more so than business.. I'm not disrespecting it though, I actually quite like it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Milch)
    I agree
    My Physics and Maths tests were hard but I challenge any of you to have taken the new specification Business Studies test at AS level, it was hard.

Business studies at GCSE was remarkably easy but AS Level/A Level is not, and I scored a high A* at GCSE.

I do agree however that economics is more highly regarded by university's but people lay off business studies, especially if you don't take it.

ReputationRep:
    my school doesnt offer alevel economics so im taking business studies is this bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    I agree
    My Physics and Maths tests were hard but I challenge any of you to have taken the new specification Business Studies test at AS level, it was hard.

Business studies at GCSE was remarkably easy but AS Level/A Level is not, and I scored a high A* at GCSE.

I do agree however that economics is more highly regarded by university's but people lay off business studies, especially if you don't take it.
    Yep I agree entirely with this post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenn.)
    my school doesnt offer alevel economics so im taking business studies is this bad
    Not at all, Thats exactly the same as my situation. Most universities have a list of "Less academic subjects" and even top Uni's will let you in if you study one, such as Business studies.

If you enjoy it or are good at it then its no problem at all

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, Thats exactly the same as my situation. Most universities have a list of "Less academic subjects" and even top Uni's will let you in if you study one, such as Business studies.

If you enjoy it or are good at it then its no problem at all

ooo thank you for your help
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I agree

I'm sorry but the new spec Business Studies A-Level is far easier than the old spec, and even that was a doddle to be quite honest.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    A small question...

Will having not done Business studies at A level and doing Economics instead, put me at a disadvantage compared to other candidates who have done business studies?

(For applying for a course in Business and Management or Management studies)
    No, not at all. Providing you can explain clearly and succinctly in your PS as to why you wish to study Management at university, then you'll be fine. Economics has plenty of links with Management (okay, maybe not plenty, but there are nonetheless).

ReputationRep:
    Economics > Business Studies. And economics isn't really calculus at all. There is often lots of stats but this is more present in Bsc. There are some top courses that still offer BAs which are more essay based e.g. Exeter, Manchester does a BA Economics course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Economics > Business Studies. And economics isn't really calculus at all. There is often lots of stats but this is more present in Bsc. There are some top courses that still offer BAs which are more essay based e.g. Exeter, Manchester does a BA Economics course.
    Even those BA's tend to be quite mathematical and have optional matehmatical modules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenalforev)
    Even those BA's tend to be quite mathematical and have optional matehmatical modules.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I'm sorry but the new spec Business Studies A-Level is far easier than the old spec, and even that was a doddle to be quite honest.
    Your starting University in 2009 therefore you can't have taken the new spec I have as Its only started this year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Your starting University in 2009 therefore you can't have taken the new spec I have as Its only started this year.
    :laugh: - Just because I've not taken the new spec doesn't mean I don't know what it's like or how difficult it is, or how not so as the case actually is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    :laugh: - Just because I've not taken the new spec doesn't mean I don't know what it's like or how difficult it is, or how not so as the case actually is.
    Another one who hasn't taken it but is quick to jump on the business hate bandwagon then

The actual content of the new spec is not rocket science no, but the wording of the questions and the method of marking it (Don't know if youve read the mark scheme too?) means that it is a hard test. As my business teacher said, with time these will get better and possibly it could be considered a slightly easier subject however for the time being I disagree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.