Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    Another one who hasn't taken it but is quick to jump on the business hate bandwagon then

The actual content of the new spec is not rocket science no, but the wording of the questions and the method of marking it (Don't know if youve read the mark scheme too?) means that it is a hard test. As my business teacher said, with time these will get better and possibly it could be considered a slightly easier subject however for the time being I disagree.
    yeah my teacher said the same thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurenn.)
    yeah my teacher said the same thing!
    Well, On the Multiple choice section

*Waits for the laughs at an AS Level test having multiple choice*

When it asks you to justify your answer you get upto 2 marks for defining the option you picked.

Why is the Answer a Business Plan?

A business Plan is a detailed doccument with the financial details backing up the ideas of the business usually to persuade possible investors or a bank to loan capital or invest in the company.

That makes no sense yet seems to be the correct answer.

At the moment the test makes it hard for anyone to get a good mark. On top of that time contraints are pretty brutal too

*Rant over*

ReputationRep:
    economics is more theoretical while business studies is more practical.
    i personally find business studies a lot easier yet ended up with a better mark in economics.
    economics is more respected by unis but i think if you enjoy business you should choose it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, On the Multiple choice section

*Waits for the laughs at an AS Level test having multiple choice*

When it asks you to justify your answer you get upto 2 marks for defining the option you picked.

Why is the Answer a Business Plan?

A business Plan is a detailed doccument with the financial details backing up the ideas of the business usually to persuade possible investors or a bank to loan capital or invest in the company.

That makes no sense yet seems to be the correct answer.

At the moment the test makes it hard for anyone to get a good mark. On top of that time contraints are pretty brutal too

*Rant over*
    I knew that from GCSE business studies...?
    My terminology might not have been spot on, but if I studied the subject for 1 year it should be.
    And from my AS economics knowledge, the answer ( investment, loans) makes a lot of sense. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TylerDurden)
    I knew that from GCSE business studies...?
    My terminology might not have been spot on, but if I studied the subject for 1 year it should be.
    And from my AS economics knowledge, the answer ( investment, loans) makes a lot of sense. :yes:
    It wasn't the answer I was getting at, my sister know the answer from watching Dragons Den and she's 14 years old. It was more the fact that they ask why you picked it and you are expected to define the answer.

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't the answer I was getting at, my sister know the answer from watching Dragons Den and she's 14 years old. It was more the fact that they ask why you picked it and you are expected to define the answer.
    Yeah I know. We have MC in AS economics as well. 1 mark for picking the right option and 3 marks for the explanation of why we picked it. However, definitions and diagrams get you marks as well.

I knew what a business plan was from GCSE. Like I said my terminology might have been a bit off, but if I actually read your AS textbook a couple of times I would have been fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TylerDurden)
    Yeah I know. We have MC in AS economics as well. 1 mark for picking the right option and 3 marks for the explanation of why we picked it. However, definitions and diagrams get you marks as well.
    Which exam board are you with for economics? In my paper there wasn't any multiple choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    Which exam board are you with for economics? In my paper there wasn't any multiple choice.
    Edexcel - AS level.

ReputationRep:
    Business studies is a complete doss at a-level.

ReputationRep:
    I need to make the choice between Economics or Business studies for GCSE. I want to take Economics for A level and I understand that when it comes to A level, economics is 100%, the obvious choice and that business studies is irrelevant. However, I am told that you can take economics for a level even if u take business studies for GCSE and i have been told that business studies is a very easy subject to get an A or A* in. What shall i chose and what are the main differences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnUnknownStudent)
    I need to make the choice between Economics or Business studies for GCSE. I want to take Economics for A level and I understand that when it comes to A level, economics is 100%, the obvious choice and that business studies is irrelevant. However, I am told that you can take economics for a level even if u take business studies for GCSE and i have been told that business studies is a very easy subject to get an A or A* in. What shall i chose and what are the main differences.
    Don't do either. Both IMO are pointless doing at GCSE level - you're much better off doing subjects which give you a wide range of options. Although facilitating subjects are mainly aimed for choosing A-levels, it doesn't mean you shouldn't base them for your GCSE subjects.

Look at taking a language, Geography, History or/and Triple Science (if offered as an option).

ReputationRep:
    in my school the compulsory subjects are maths, english, the three sciences and r.s. we also have to choose TWO out out of Geography, history, business studies, economics and classical civilisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnUnknownStudent)
    in my school the compulsory subjects are maths, english, the three sciences and r.s. we also have to choose TWO out out of Geography, history, business studies, economics and classical civilisation.
    Geography, History and Economics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.