Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question to all university students living away from home Watch

ReputationRep:
    How much would you say you roughly spent in a year away from home at university? Preferably not in London too, as I know it is more expensive there.
    Oh and would you say that you overspent or really lived on a budget?

Thankyou in advance, just I wanted to get an idea of money amounts.

ReputationRep:
    I'd really like to know this too! I'm supposed to be going away in september and atm i'm genuinely worried that I won't actually be able to as my loan is not even enough to cover my rent!

ReputationRep:
    Same.
    I'd really like as many people to answer as possible to get an idea of how much.
    I can't help but worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    I am due to start in September and have done a very rough budget if you wanted to see?

I have attached the budget, if it asks for a password it is the second word of my usertitle (the bit under my username). Don't know how well it will work and it includes things that isn't applicable to everyone such as car payments!

Attached to http://www.filedropper.com/universitybudget

ReputationRep:
    It very much depends on where you will be living/ if you are catered or not/ how often you like to go out.

In my first year I was semi catered and living in student halls so that worked out at just under £100 a week for food on weekdays and accomodation. On top of that I would spend about £30 on food for the weekend and going out with friends. Some weeks it may have been more depending on buying books or transport home.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, my halls rent was covered by my maintenance loan and my parents. After that I only spent about £15 per week on food toiletries etc. but I don't drink half as much as other students and I could survive boring repetitive meals. I would have spent more if I could get a job, but I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    Every year i budget out my loan and i always seem to have enough to do! I don't get the full loan and i pay rent of £70-£80 a week, and thats not including bills, but i manage to have £40-£60 pounds a week spare for food, bills and nights out!

The best advice i could give you is don't go too mad, many of my mates spent way too much money of luxeries that were just foolish and ended up skint and borrowing money! I'm not sayin stay in and be borin ( no way) but just have fun when you can! It may sonud boring and silly now but if you watch what you spend then you will have more fun with it in the long run, when your not skint like others!

P.s. Tip: don;t call 24 hour booze cruise every night - not good on the bank balance!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlegiant)
    Every year i budget out my loan and i always seem to have enough to do! I don't get the full loan and i pay rent of £70-£80 a week, and thats not including bills, but i manage to have £40-£60 pounds a week spare for food, bills and nights out!

The best advice i could give you is don't go too mad, many of my mates spent way too much money of luxeries that were just foolish and ended up skint and borrowing money! I'm not sayin stay in and be borin ( no way) but just have fun when you can! It may sonud boring and silly now but if you watch what you spend then you will have more fun with it in the long run, when your not skint like others!

P.s. Tip: don;t call 24 hour booze cruise every night - not good on the bank balance!!
    Thanx that post really helped.
    So let me get this straight, did you live completely off your loan and still have some left over?
    Or was this using money you had already saved or money from a part time job too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    I am due to start in September and have done a very rough budget if you wanted to see?

I have attached the budget, if it asks for a password it is the second word of my usertitle (the bit under my username). Don't know how well it will work and it includes things that isn't applicable to everyone such as car payments!

And thankyou to you too, really helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissSunshine5)
    And thankyou to you too, really helpful
    Did you manage to download it ok? I wasn't sure if it would work. Cool then!

ReputationRep:
    My tip.

SAVE SAVE SAVE, then SAVE some more.

ReputationRep:
    Did you manage to download it ok? I wasn't sure if it would work. Cool then!
    Yes it downloaded fine after entering the password.
    A lot of work must have gone into that.
    Thankyou again.

ReputationRep:
    i recommend you set up an interest free overdraft bank account, which sort of acts as a loan. and doesnt need to be repayed until you graduate. if your low income see if u can get a grant.

ReputationRep:

wow, that is genius!

If i can be bothered i might do something similar that's more appropriate for my situation:yep:

ReputationRep:
    i lived off whatever was left of my maintenance loan after i payed off my accom and i managed fine, i was on a budget and just bought what i needed and didn't waste it on buying alcohol all the time

alot of people i know though went into their overdraft after about 2 months of being at uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .x.Steff.x.)
    i lived off whatever was left of my maintenance loan after i payed off my accom and i managed fine, i was on a budget and just bought what i needed and didn't waste it on buying alcohol all the time

alot of people i know though went into their overdraft after about 2 months of being at uni
    you make it sound like such a bad thing.

Interest free overdraft, I recommend Natwest, personally. I went into my overdraft because, yes, I was pretty silly in my first semester. And because I couldn't get a job at Uni it stayed as such.

But, if you're willing to work your arse off over the holidays then you'll be fine. Don't spend your whole University experience worrying about money.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, im in Cardiff uni, and i found that my student loan covered my accomodation and education, but after that came out of the loan, i managed to live off £40 a week comfortably, but obviously with budgeting. I like to drink, but tend to drink in the flat before we go out because it cuts the cost at least in half as drinking in pubs etc is so expensive, and then food i buy mostly from lidl. That covers a few items of clothing every now and then, but freshers will probably be expensive, as well as the last week of term when you kind of just let off steam. I managed to not go into my overdraft all year, ith £400 left over, but I had about £1000 saved from working over the summer. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I kept a record on Excel and it turned out I spent an average of about £80/week - £11 on food (I was catered), £26 on clothes and accessories, £6 on toiletries, £19 on nights out, and a small amount on other things. This includes the holidays though where I spent a lot less. Taking into account loans and stuff, I had a budget of £108/week so I did pretty well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.