Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any suggestions on a good game controller for PC? Can't be too expensive.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The best is by far the 360 controller for Windows: http://www.game.co.uk/PC/Hardware/Ac...0%20controller - decent price too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    The best is by far the 360 controller for Windows: http://www.game.co.uk/PC/Hardware/Ac...0%20controller - decent price too.
    Am I blind or is there absolutely no mention of how it connects on the website?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Am I blind or is there absolutely no mention of how it connects on the website?
    through a USB cable :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanx)
    through a USB cable :rolleyes:
    I assumed it would be, but with it being an input device it could easily have been via a mouse or keyboard port. And for people less technologically minded, they would have even less of a clue. I just thought it odd that they failed to mention it...

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I've had my Saitek P990 for 3 years I think and I like it a lot. Though it doesn't include a vibration function it's worth buying.

ReputationRep:
    Another vote for the 360 pad. I've use a few different PC pads (my own and my friends), and the 360 one is the best pad I've used (be it for PC or console actually).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    :facepalm2:
    Was that directed towards me? If so, I apologise on behalf of everyone who uses a keyboard and mouse for PC gaming and don't know the details of a gaming controller they have never used. Because clearly everyone should know.

ReputationRep:
    I used my ps3 pad by using some proxy to connect it to the pc. The same thing can be done with a ps2 pad aswell.

ReputationRep:
    via a mouse or keyboard port.
    Yes

a gamepad going through a MOUSE or KEYBOARD port.

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    I also have the 360 pad and would recommend it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. The control will be part of my boyfriends birthday present and he has mentioned he'd like one like the Playstation controllers. Are there any wireless ones that you would recommend?

ReputationRep:
    Do PS3 controllers come with USB cables? If so, definitely get that then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balky_Bear)
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. The control will be part of my boyfriends birthday present and he has mentioned he'd like one like the Playstation controllers. Are there any wireless ones that you would recommend?
    This + this. So essentially another vote for the Xbox 360 controller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanx)
    Do PS3 controllers come with USB cables? If so, definitely get that then.
    They're wireless controllers with a USB mini-B connector which wouldn't be suitable for long play, imo.

OP: the huge advantage of the 360 controller is that many, many games are designed specifically to work with it on the PC. The PS3 controller will lack lots of this functionality, because it's not the PC "standard" controller.

ReputationRep:
    I assumed it would be, but with it being an input device it could easily have been via a mouse or keyboard port. And for people less technologically minded, they would have even less of a clue. I just thought it odd that they failed to mention it...
    You can buy a wireless Xbox controller for the pc as well. Sold in Gamestation as far as I can remember, come with an adapter.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a PS2 to PC USB adaptor from eBay, they can be as cheap as £3 and work like a charm!

Don't have a PS2 pad? Use an old playstation pad or go to your local Cash Converters or CEX for one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdVein)
    I also have the 360 pad and would recommend it
    This.

Just don't take wireless. Cables are the way forward!

ReputationRep:
    I've got a ps2 adapter for PC, but I use a 360 controller. It also self maps the buttons on newer games.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.