Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Maybe I'm hoping for too much but I was wondering if anyone could give me a non-partisan opinion of Goldsmiths versus Queen Mary!

I have offers from Goldsmiths and Queen Mary to do a PhD, which will (broadly) be in the area of Film Studies.

The offer from Goldsmiths is in their dept of Media & Communications, which is a very highly rated dept with many leading academics.

The offer from Queen Mary is in their Film Studies dept, which is a small sub-dept of their Linguistics dept, which is also highly rated, although perhaps less well known in this field than Media & Comms at Goldsmiths.

I've visited both and I'm quite drawn to the vibrant, arty atmosphere at Goldsmiths, but I liked Queen Mary too and their department was friendly. Somehow Goldsmiths seemed to have a stronger 'identity' than Queen Mary, but then again perhaps some might argue Queen Mary is less pretentious than Goldsmiths! League tables don't help - they're roughly equal most years.

It's really hard to choose!

I also have an offer from Sussex, in the English dept, but I don't think I could manage the travel to and from Brighton (I live in London).

Any thoughts, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, pretty quiet forum (bump)...

ReputationRep:
    You sound like you've already made your mind up and prefer Goldsmiths. I think Goldsmiths is more highly regarded for arts and media degrees than QM is.

The thing that made me choose Goldsmiths was not only their reputation for my degree but also their media facilities, and they're currently in the process of building a brand new media and communications building that will open in summer 2010 (so you might not benefit from that - I don't know how long PhD's are for?). Also the atmosphere that you mentioned was also something that made my mind up, it's friendly and inviting and a place where I feel I'll be able to learn well.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Leanne, that's helpful. As you say, I've more or less made up my mind already, but it's reassuring to hear a Goldsmiths point of view. I'll be doing my PhD part-time, which takes about 6 years! So who knows, I may even meet you in the dept at some point. Thanks again for your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Leanne, that's helpful. As you say, I've more or less made up my mind already, but it's reassuring to hear a Goldsmiths point of view. I'll be doing my PhD part-time, which takes about 6 years! So who knows, I may even meet you in the dept at some point. Thanks again for your thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by docus)
    No problem I start in September and will be there for 3 years so you never know, we might bump into each other at some point like you said :p:

Wow, 6 years! Does it cost a lot? I'm undecided about what I wanna do after my degree, which is alright coz I have ages to decide yet, but I was thinking of doing a Masters afterwards. I doubt I'd be able to afford it though, I've been told you have to fund it yourself?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.