Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What can those graduates with a 2.2 in LLB Law do as TCs are only offered to those with 2.1s and above.

Is there any point of doing the LPC if you have a 2.2?

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily "only" those with 2.1s and above, particularly if you are at a top uni, but of course it will be difficult without a 2.1. Your best bet would be to thoroughly research firms you might be interested in and try to secure a TC before embarking on the LPC, as well as applying for vacation schemes and the like: this should give you a better idea of what chances you have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riz_K)
    What can those graduates with a 2.2 in LLB Law do as TCs are only offered to those with 2.1s and above.

Is there any point of doing the LPC if you have a 2.2?
    Can I ask a very personal question? How come you only managed a 2:2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawstude)
    Can I ask a very personal question? How come you only managed a 2:2?
    what a nice question. it really depends which uni you graduate from. some unis are stricter and some are more lenient..

ReputationRep:
    because i had some person problems which affected my end perfomance in the exams. Couldnt revise due to not sleeping, eating etc

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to sound so rude, I hope things work out. Remember the only thing that restricts your future is not the classification of your degree (albeit makes things a little harder) but sincerely its your self belief - keep your chin up and you will prevail.

ReputationRep:
    exactly -so a 2.2 is definitely not the end of the world

ReputationRep:
    but all law firms require a 2.1. And HR people will automatically bin applicants that have 2.2s. So what should I do next? What sector should I head for? What if one wants to work in International law?

ReputationRep:
    I would expect law firms, like Chambers, to offer a section of their application form to explain extenuating circumstances that affected your results...for example, if you had a major operation or a major trauma (death of someone close to you), then clearly that would affect your marks...(you do require evidence/proof of these things).

There's no harm in applying, if it's no, you haven't lost anything, if it's yes, you've gained something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riz_K)
    but all law firms require a 2.1. And HR people will automatically bin applicants that have 2.2s. So what should I do next? What sector should I head for? What if one wants to work in International law?
    Not all law firms require a 2:i but it's broadly accurate to say that most commercial law firms in London and elsewhere will do.

If your interest lies in "international law" (although I'm not quite sure what you mean by that) then the large commercial firms are almost certainly out of your reach. If, on the other hand, you're happy with smaller, provincial firms practising in smaller scale matters then you do have a chance of securing a TC.

What is it you want to do? More generally, what interests you? What would you say your skills are? What about your weaknesses? What motivates you? Answers to those questions will guide what you want to do if law isn't a viable path.

ReputationRep:
    I meant Public International Law- working for the UN , perhaps the International Labor Organisation. What route would one need to take for this field?

Which smaller provincial firms would accept those with a 2.2? Are u speaking about high street firms which deal in the usual conveyancing, family, criminal sectors?

As a whole, I am however really interested in politics, human rights, international affairs. I dont see myself working for a corporate firm at all. I am really confused now. The LPC is surely essential for those wanting to work in other sectors aswell right?

Can anyone offer me advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riz_K)
    I meant Public International Law- working for the UN , perhaps the International Labor Organisation. What route would one need to take for this field?

Which smaller provincial firms would accept those with a 2.2? Are u speaking about high street firms which deal in the usual conveyancing, family, criminal sectors?

As a whole, I am however really interested in politics, human rights, international affairs. I dont see myself working for a corporate firm at all. I am really confused now. The LPC is surely essential for those wanting to work in other sectors aswell right?

Can anyone offer me advice
    Generally, yes those high st firms dealing in conveyancing etc will accept those with a 2:2 (although in the current market...).

The LPC is required for anyone who wishes to practice as a solicitor whether that is in criminal, corporate or conveyancing.

You need to be a little clearer on what you see yourself doing in politics or international affairs. Do you see yourself being a lawyer for an NGO etc? You need to be aware that the organisations which you're alluding to are just as competitive (if not more so) to get into as major commercial law firms.

ReputationRep:
    Im more interested in a legal career with an NGO, government etc. Where I can get more information on this? Also, am i right to pursue the LPC if i want to go down this route?

When you mean by small provincial firms u mean high street firms right , and not regional firms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riz_K)
    Im more interested in a legal career with an NGO, government etc. Where I can get more information on this? Also, am i right to pursue the LPC if i want to go down this route?

When you mean by small provincial firms u mean high street firms right , and not regional firms?
    As I explained in my previous post, if you want to be a solicitor (whether at a big commercial firm, the govt, an NGO, a charity etc) then you'll need your LPC and a training contract.

If you want to work for them in a different capacity then I suggest you look at their websites for information on what roles are available and what they're looking for.

The competition for NGOs/the GLS/UN etc etc will be extremely high and I have doubts that you will be successful applying with a 2:2.

Yes, when I talk about small provincial firms I mean high st., not the large provincial commercial firms.

I also suggest you sort out your SRA membership ASAP given the issues with your caution. If you can't arrange that, this may all be slightly irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks so much for everything once again. In relation to the NGO field - Im going to pursue a masters in International Relations after wards - do you think this will help me and overlook the 2.2 a little? I have deferred my offer at Warwick and SOAS as I will be doing the LPC first. Or do you think I should do the Masters first? Really confused.

Do you know any NGOS which offer training contracts for trainee lawyers ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riz_K)
    Okay thanks so much for everything once again. In relation to the NGO field - Im going to pursue a masters in International Relations after wards - do you think this will help me and overlook the 2.2 a little? I have deferred my offer at Warwick and SOAS as I will be doing the LPC first. Or do you think I should do the Masters first? Really confused.

Do you know any NGOS which offer training contracts for trainee lawyers ?
    Generally, law firms do not see a Masters as overcoming a 2:2. The undergrad degree is all important. I don't know about NGOs and the like but, given the competition for those organisations, I imagine it would be similar.

If you're setting on doing a masters then you're probably as well doing that before your LPC which is very much a vocational qualification. You might find some other interesting avenues to explore during your masters which might mean you decide not to follow the legal route at all.

I don't know of any NGOs which would take on trainees. I would be very surprised if there are any - those organisations tend to operate under very tight budgetary constraints (and have small legal functions, if any) and don't have the money or resources to train a lawyer.

I think you probably need to take a long careful look at what you want to do, what your skills are and what you might realistically achieve. You need to be brutally honest with yourself. Once you're clear on all of that, you can start to consider potential options.

ReputationRep:
    thanks chalks. I will PM you for further information.

I know it does not matter where u do your LPC. But is Nottingham Law school a good choice. Or shoudl I go for BPP, College of law?

ReputationRep:
    I have also heard- Irwin Mitchell an Barclays capital do not have degree grade requirements. Is this true? If so, can those with 2.2s apply?

Can someone list smaller provincial firms that offer TCs to applicants with 2.2s?

ReputationRep:
    You say you know it doesn't matter which law school you go to, then ask which one would be better?! It doesn't matter!!

Irwin Mitchell and Barcap will both be looking for applicants with 2:i's I would have thought.

There isn't a magic list of firms which have lesser recruitment requirements. You're just going to have to trawl through those firms, do the research, make the applications and see what happens.

Can I ask (if you haven't already said) why you think you got a 2:ii? I still recommend that you take the course of action I suggested at the end of my last post.

ReputationRep:
    On their websites its stated that they dont have speicifc degree requirements and that applicants from all backgrounds are accepted, albeit those with 2.2s

I got a 2.2 because I had some personal problems which completely diverted my attention away from my course and exams. I was at a point where I was not sleeping well and severely depressed. Due to this I was sick and could not attend 2 exams and i have 2 resit two exams. Where as in my previous years I never had such problem and really thought I would achieve a 2.1.

I did not notify University as I just wanted to get on with it and not waste another year. Well I also did not know what my uni would say.

I am stuck with a 2.2 now ( I have 4 exams still to do next month- and have notified the SRA about this- their deadline for completion of academic training is October 31st 2009, and I also will receive my results 15th Sep).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.