The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cool link.
Reply 2
That certainly is something.
Reply 3
I have no doubt that there will eventually be an element called Failium.
Reply 4
Wow, is it just me that thinks the periodic table in that article looks like a a game of tetris?
Reply 5
Oooh I remember reading about this in New Scientist a few weeks back. Glad to see they finally got around to naming it. :smile:
Reply 6
It would be interesting to know its properties.

Is it easy to find? Perhaps a semi conductor? Etc
darkraver
It would be interesting to know its properties.

Is it easy to find? Perhaps a semi conductor? Etc

It's an artificial element, which is very unstable. So it's practically useless.
G8D
I never understood the facination with making something that is stable for just long enough to be classed as an element.

Aren't there better ways to spend time than, essentially, inventing useless element..

I agree, I don't see what the fuss is about to be honest.
Reply 9
What about TSRium? :h:
Reply 10
Cp, are they insane?! What happens when someone makes Copernicicene?

EDIT: I appreciate that this would take some doing, but it's the principle of the thing :p:
EierVonSatan
I agree, I don't see what the fuss is about to be honest.

Do they just bombard an atom with protons to make them? :/

And 13 years to name it... lol

Edit: fusion, should've read the article properly. :p:
Reply 12
Lunarsea
Oooh I remember reading about this in New Scientist a few weeks back. Glad to see they finally got around to naming it. :smile:

Same! :biggrin: I wouldn't have thought Copernicus was a particularly important person in science before this though...Not that my knowledge on that is any good :frown:
Reply 13
Zygroth
Same! :biggrin: I wouldn't have thought Copernicus was a particularly important person in science before this though...Not that my knowledge on that is any good :frown:

I suppose that a lot of people don't consider him to be particularly important today. I can imagine if you explained to someone what Copernicus did they'd go, "So what? I could have told you that." :p:
Why did it take them so long to name it and add it to the table when the knew about it for ages?
Reply 15
somethingbeautiful
Why did it take them so long to name it and add it to the table when the knew about it for ages?

It has to be confirmed, and I think there was some problem with that - You can't just say "I found element number 200, and I want to name it xxx"; you need to say how you made it and wait for it to be made by some independent place or something.
Reply 16
G8D
I never understood the facination with making something that is stable for just long enough to be classed as an element.

Aren't there better ways to spend time than, essentially, inventing useless element..

Ego tripping is always important.
Reply 17
There is a long list of names (mostly dead people) that are waiting for elements to be named after them. I reckon people are only trying to make new elements to cut down the size of the list.
Reply 18
EierVonSatan
It's an artificial element, which is very unstable. So it's practically useless.

I want them to make a Cp sandwich compound out of it.
Kyle_S-C
I want them to make a Cp sandwich compound out of it.

Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw Cp :p:

CpCp2 or Cp3 :confused:

Latest