Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This might be interesting for the chemistry enthusiasts;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8153596.stm

Cool link.

ReputationRep:
    That certainly is something.

ReputationRep:
    I have no doubt that there will eventually be an element called Failium.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, is it just me that thinks the periodic table in that article looks like a a game of tetris?

ReputationRep:
    Oooh I remember reading about this in New Scientist a few weeks back. Glad to see they finally got around to naming it.

ReputationRep:
    It would be interesting to know its properties.

Is it easy to find? Perhaps a semi conductor? Etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkraver)
    It would be interesting to know its properties.

Is it easy to find? Perhaps a semi conductor? Etc
    It's an artificial element, which is very unstable. So it's practically useless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I never understood the facination with making something that is stable for just long enough to be classed as an element.

Aren't there better ways to spend time than, essentially, inventing useless element..
    I agree, I don't see what the fuss is about to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    What about TSRium?

Cp, are they insane?! What happens when someone makes Copernicicene?

EDIT: I appreciate that this would take some doing, but it's the principle of the thing :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    I agree, I don't see what the fuss is about to be honest.
    Do they just bombard an atom with protons to make them? :/

And 13 years to name it... lol

Edit: fusion, should've read the article properly. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunarsea)
    Oooh I remember reading about this in New Scientist a few weeks back. Glad to see they finally got around to naming it.
    Same! I wouldn't have thought Copernicus was a particularly important person in science before this though...Not that my knowledge on that is any good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zygroth)
    Same! I wouldn't have thought Copernicus was a particularly important person in science before this though...Not that my knowledge on that is any good
    I suppose that a lot of people don't consider him to be particularly important today. I can imagine if you explained to someone what Copernicus did they'd go, "So what? I could have told you that." :p:

ReputationRep:
    Why did it take them so long to name it and add it to the table when the knew about it for ages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somethingbeautiful)
    Why did it take them so long to name it and add it to the table when the knew about it for ages?
    It has to be confirmed, and I think there was some problem with that - You can't just say "I found element number 200, and I want to name it xxx"; you need to say how you made it and wait for it to be made by some independent place or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I never understood the facination with making something that is stable for just long enough to be classed as an element.

Aren't there better ways to spend time than, essentially, inventing useless element..
    Ego tripping is always important.

ReputationRep:
    There is a long list of names (mostly dead people) that are waiting for elements to be named after them. I reckon people are only trying to make new elements to cut down the size of the list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    It's an artificial element, which is very unstable. So it's practically useless.
    I want them to make a Cp sandwich compound out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyle_S-C)
    I want them to make a Cp sandwich compound out of it.
    Yeah, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw Cp :p:

CpCp2 or Cp3 :confused:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.