Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I'm basically trying to self teach myself some of the AS Maths modules I will be doing next year. I have already completed C1 and S1 and will not need to retake and so I only have C2 left. I have started learning C2 and it is quite challenging here and there. My question is...would it be better to just get a general idea of both C2 and FP1 or concentrate solely on C2, complete the exam in January and then focus on Further Maths then?

ReputationRep:
    I would say start looking at FP1 as early as you can. FP1 is more difficult than C2 imo.

ReputationRep:
    C2 should be alright once you give it enough practice...

If you feel you can do FP1 also go for it but you must read it asap...

ReputationRep:
    what exam board are you doing? if edexcel, assuming things haven't changed much on the new syllabus, then to do FP1 you're going to prob need C1-4 knowledge, concentrate on C2 imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniLL)
    what exam board are you doing? if edexcel, assuming things haven't changed much on the new syllabus, then to do FP1 you're going to prob need C1-4 knowledge, concentrate on C2 imo
    The new FP1 syllabus has changed quite a lot, it's now an AS topic rather than an A2 one so you only need C1/C2 knowledge as far as I know. Better to be more prepared than not though.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong.

Learn C2 first before learning Fp1.

Although FP1 you don't really need to know anything from the Core units (new spec), it still requires a certain degree of thinking. Learn C2.

ReputationRep:
    To do FP1 on OCR you need knowledge on C2 when doing series and transformations of matrices. I would advise you to do C2 before FP1, or if you feel up to it do them both at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    make sure that you know most of c2 first. then start on fp1.

ReputationRep:
    Do FP1, needs more time and practice than C2 does. Also, you've already covered half of AS Maths, now even it out by doing one module of Further Maths. By the time you do actually go to sixthform/college to start it, you'll be well ahead of the rest.

ReputationRep:
    C2 is harder than FP1 imo, Do C2 and finish that first.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do FP1. You'll use a lot of the stuff again in the core modules, and you'll be all "ohh I can do this"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tuesday91)
    The new FP1 syllabus has changed quite a lot, it's now an AS topic rather than an A2 one so you only need C1/C2 knowledge as far as I know. Better to be more prepared than not though.
    The guy below disagrees but check- on the old syllabus FP1 is AS further maths (so calssified as an AS topic) but it'd be hard to do without knowledge of a level maths- but stuff like differential equations and polar co-ords apparently have been moved out so it'll prob be pretty easy seeing as they were the two hard modules imo

i'm just wondering, are you teaching yourself this stuff in preparation for going back to school when you'll have lessons in them, or are you teaching yourself maths?? If the latter i'd look at the further maths network for FP1- it'll prob be really helpful for you

ReputationRep:
    If he's good at maths I don't think he needs help from the further maths network, it's generally easy going. He will need to have done C2 though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcp2)
    If he's good at maths I don't think he needs help from the further maths network, it's generally easy going. He will need to have done C2 though.
    the f maths network will be useful in getting lots of past questions- if he is learning at school then i'm sure his teacher will be able to look through past papers from the old syllabus and suggest questions to practice, but if he's teaching himself- he'll struggle to get access to the papers let alone knowing what's been taken out- i'm going by availabilty of edexcel papers- so i'd reccomend using it to test his knowledge before the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcp2)
    It's still nice to have someone to guide you on how to learn stuff.

although mind you TSR is probably just as good.

ReputationRep:
    Well like around said, we're here to help. I've got 7 of the 8 papers since 2005 for OCR since that's when the new spec came in.

But yeah, we can help you with whatever!

ReputationRep:
    It might also help to learn implicit differentiation for the parabolas in fp1

ReputationRep:
    Logically, I'd say do C2 as it follows on from C1.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah do C2 than do FP1, as you need to build up your math skills for the hard topics in FP1 (such is proof by induction and series)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.