Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A teacher friend has lots of pupils added on Facebook... Watch

So, a friend of mine is a teacher and I have noticed that they have added or accepted lots of their current students on Facebook. They have been writing things on their wall and it is clear many are young GSCE students.

Now, my friend would never do anything untoward or improper but it seems wrong for a teacher to have current students on their FB and I feel they may get in trouble for this.

Fair enough if they are old students who have moved on but this appears not to be the case. Shall I have a quiet word with my friend because I seem to remember someone stating teachers aren't allowed to accept Pupils on Social Networking Sites?

ReputationRep:
    When I was at school one of our teachers created a bebo site and added us as friends and was posting pictures etc, the school found out and it didn't go too well.

ReputationRep:
    My school has a policy against it and I think teachers get into a fair bit of trouble for it, I think most schools have this policy. Maybe you should have a word but don't interfere without knowing the situation - you may have got the wrong end of the stick or something somehow

ReputationRep:
    Maybe question it and look for some clarification on the fact that they have the pupils on facebook, but im not aware of such a rule i think its more of a guideline, i was friends with some teachers during my time at school on facebook, as long as its innnocent i dont personally see the problem.

ReputationRep:
    My head of year has lots of pupils added on Facebook, but I can't really see any problem with it, especially as his wall has just been hijacked as a place to ask questions about school

ReputationRep:
    i dont know the technicalities of it however on a logistical level, surely when updating your status you dont want to be questioned about it by your students the next day, i think its a case of privacy and also how far your freind wants to extent the teacher pupil relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Some teachers have two Facebooks, one for students and one for their friends and family.
    It depends on school policy if a teacher can add/accept a pupil on such social networking site.
    Personally, as someone who has taught, I would never accept or add a pupil until they had finished school. In this case I would create two Facebook acounts, like above, one for students and one for family/friends.

It was once hugely frowned upon, but if the teacher keeps a professional stance, s/he has done nothing wrong.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If it can be helpful and constructive, as well as a more relaxed way to communicate with pupils then I don't see the problem.

If they're going to do weird things such as comment on your drunken night out albums, and ask to meet up, then yes it should be reported.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should have a word. Obviously your friend has no bad intentions, but it would most likely not come across very well if the school found out. It would just reflect badly on your friend, and get her in undeserved trouble, so I think you should speak to her.

ReputationRep:
    A number of my former teachers are on facebook but only have students who have left the school added, I think that's probably best. If the students are still at school then if anything needs to be asked then it can be done during school time; however, I know my teachers add people on fb as they want to see what they're doing after school, how their careers are going etc. so it's a useful way of keeping in touch.

ReputationRep:
    If they are, then they should be aware of how much to post/when not to post.

We did it in college, which I know is slightly different, but many students were under 18, and there was no real problem

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its allowed. Even if it is completely innocent, it can easily be something more sinister which is why authorities would frown upon it altogether. Maybe tell your friend to be very careful
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    We didn't have our teacher added however we did have a facebook group where she could leave posts and stuff (college related!) if we needed help... Only after we'd left could we add the teacher. I'd advise the friend to exercise extreme caution.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with it. I have one of my teachers on Facebook; he never posts on people's walls unless they've left the school and he's remained in touch with them or unless it's in reply to a wall post he's received, and he never adds pupils other than to accept pupils who've added him. And he only really got Facebook because pupils of the school advised him to so that they could add him. I think if there were ever any accusations of anything half the school would back him up; I certainly would.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is a teacher and only has yr11's, sixth formers and ex-pupils on her facebook

The thing is, she only has one account. She recently uploaded pictures of her snogging a female friend and then flashing her bra.

It just seems inappropriate to be honest. There are 14 year old lads writing on her wall "alrite miss "

Surely, this isn't acting professionally?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see a problem :dontknow:
    Is it really that different to a student having a teacher's email address?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So, a friend of mine is a teacher and I have noticed that they have added or accepted lots of their current students on Facebook. They have been writing things on their wall and it is clear many are young GSCE students.

Now, my friend would never do anything untoward or improper but it seems wrong for a teacher to have current students on their FB and I feel they may get in trouble for this.

Fair enough if they are old students who have moved on but this appears not to be the case. Shall I have a quiet word with my friend because I seem to remember someone stating teachers aren't allowed to accept Pupils on Social Networking Sites?
    One of our old teachers had lots of students on facebook and he got in a lot of trouble and had to remove everyone so yeah, it's not a good idea (he didn't get fired or anything btw). I don't see anything wrong with it but apparently it's 'unprofessional'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The thing is, she only has one account. She recently uploaded pictures of her snogging a female friend and then flashing her bra.

It just seems inappropriate to be honest. There are 14 year old lads writing on her wall "alrite miss "

Surely, this isn't acting professionally?
    I assume you're talking about the teacher? Eww, that is just wrong. Why would she want her students seeing her topless

ReputationRep:
    in the cadet forces staff are not allowed to add cadets on social networks
    i would imagine it was the same in schools?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.