Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone who has taken Business Studies please explain the course to me and what is covered?
    Are there exams? Is there a lot of writing to do? Is it hard? Is there a lot of hard maths involved and lots to remember?

ReputationRep:
    How a business works.
    How to start a business
    How to make the business well known
    How advertising works
    2 weeks work experience
    Database IT

Boring as hell :3
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    At GCSE or AS level?

At GCSE we had an exam and a lot of coursework. There wasn't much maths at all, mainly looking at cash flow and stuff. (this was for edexcel)
    At AS level it was all exam. Some maths was involved but it wasn't difficult - mainly percentages. (this was OCR)

ReputationRep:
    Seeing as this is posted in FE and 6th form colleges I'll guess you mean A Level Business Studies?

Well (and beware that different boards may be different) I did it with AQA. Over the 2 years I did 6 exams, 3 first year and 3 second year (1 in each January and 2 in each June). Except the two in June in my first year were based on a long case study that we learned for about 4 weeks beforehand (that is Unit 2 & 3). The exams from Units 1, 4 and 6 were all fairly similar, all based on work learned previously. The exam had a short case study, with 6 questions based on that case study. Finally, Unit 5 consists of a load of business data, and you have to write a report on that data. Then on question 2 you have a list of 4 questions, from which you pick just one to answer, and write a report on it. It will be a sentence about a random business and some objective that it has, you then write about how they should achive this and the stuff they should do. As far as I remember, each exam was 90 minutes.
    (each of those Units were in numerical order, I have just jumbled them up so as I could assess them effectively)

There was a fair amount of maths, but not pure maths, it was more like statistical maths. There were about a dozen or so formulae to remember over the two years. Remembering them is difficult if you don't practice, or learn to understand what they do; however, if you work hard it would be easy to learn them, they are all etremely simple formulae, it's just a matter of getting to learn what they actually do.

The amount of writing is dependent on the person. (As you can see) I waffle a fair bit, and I did 14 pages in my last 90 minute exam, but I know people who got As in their exams and only done 6-7 pages, so it dependents on the individual, and how good you are at getting to the point.

Personally, I found it my easiest A Level. I have got A, A, A, B, from my first four units (compared to Bs in History and Psychology). I dunno what I got in my last 2 exams yet, I'll tell you August 20th :p:.

There is a fair bit to remember, but a lot of it you can work out with a fair bit of common sense, that's the good thing about Business Studies. I think that's everything? Basically, I would recommend picking it.

I hope you was talking about A Level ....

ReputationRep:
    I did it at GCSE, thinking it'd be interesting. I was VERY wrong. I hated every minute of it. Dreadfully boring. But that's just me and everyone else at my school.
    It's pretty much common sense at GCSE because you don't go into too much detail. I had some long-ass exams, 2 hours and 1 hour 45mins.

If I was going to advice you on whether to take it or not at GCSE, I'd say no. If it is AS/A2 and you haven't done it at GCSE I'd say definitely not.

ReputationRep:
    its pretty good the mathematics side of its embarrassing and if your the least bit academic you will get A/B in it easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemSevenV)
    I did it at GCSE, thinking it'd be interesting. I was VERY wrong. I hated every minute of it. Dreadfully boring. But that's just me and everyone else at my school.
    It's pretty much common sense at GCSE because you don't go into too much detail. I had some long-ass exams, 2 hours and 1 hour 45mins.

If I was going to advice you on whether to take it or not at GCSE, I'd say no. If it is AS/A2 and you haven't done it at GCSE I'd say definitely not.
    I agree that it's boring as hell (I did aqa business at a level) and bloody hell! Hated it so much. I did it at GCSE too =/

But, I don't think it's a bad idea to take it at GCSE at all, I mean, what harm can it do? Unless it clashes with another subject that the OP wants to do, I'd say go for it.

Also, it's absolutely possible to do A-level without firstly doing GCSE business. I mean, I completely forgot what I learnt from GCSE when going into AS, but still managed "ok" (hated it though). There's this girl in my class that has not done GCSE business but man, she's good at it at AS level!

ReputationRep:
    Its awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andylol)
    I agree that it's boring as hell (I did aqa business at a level) and bloody hell! Hated it so much. I did it at GCSE too =/

But, I don't think it's a bad idea to take it at GCSE at all, I mean, what harm can it do? Unless it clashes with another subject that the OP wants to do, I'd say go for it.

Also, it's absolutely possible to do A-level without firstly doing GCSE business. I mean, I completely forgot what I learnt from GCSE when going into AS, but still managed "ok" (hated it though). There's this girl in my class that has not done GCSE business but man, she's good at it at AS level!
    Good luck with your driving test (sig)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Good luck with your driving test (sig)
    Thanks m'dear.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.