Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm looking for advice from people who have taken the subject or are currently studying it.
    Could someone who doesn't read much be able to get a good grade?
    I am good at analyzing, what kind of essays are written?

How many books and what type of books do you need to read for the course?

Having just completed my AS year in English Lit i would reccomend it (: i loved it. but i also love reading.
    In the first year (unless its all changed..) you do two pieces of coursework..(both of mine were drama stuff) and one was shakespeare and a modern play too.. then for the exam you study 4 texts..2 poetry and 2 novels usually. So, in my opinion there's not that much reading, but it is necessary to do it, otherwise you cannot get anywhere.. Also its good to read around the book you're studying and look at others that your teacher may suggest to you cos it makes it a lot easier. The essays are usually just analysing dramatic devices or setting etc etc but they are just practice ones. The exam we did meant that you answered two questions on ONE text, then one question on the THREE other texts you studied. You get all texts in the exam.

At A level..i guess its pretty much the same...having just started we've already been asked to read 4 books, 2 for coursework and 2 for exam stuff. Plus there is one more for exam and the coursework gives you mo0re freedom to choose from more texts as well. I think the exam is closed book, therefore you don;t get the texts and just learn stuff ://

Anyway, do it its good! (:
    Hope that long stuff made sense.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.