Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What car would suit my needs? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

In about a month I'm starting a new job, and the drive will be a 40 mile round trip mostly on dual carriageways. I currently have a 1.4 peugeot 306, but my parents have suggested that I look for something slightly more economical due to the journeys I will be making. Plus it's getting pretty old now so could do with something a bit newer :bigsmile:

I would ask that people don't suggest a KA for the simple reason being that I hate driving them. I don't like the driving area and not keen on how they drive. I'm not being picky I just really hated driving the one I used a year or so ago. Even my old rickety 306 feels nicer to drive!

I've never tried anything else but I will try before I buy so any suggestions will be tried and tested first :bigsmile:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    A small 4x4 would be good.

ReputationRep:
    A nice cruiser

E34 / E39 5 Series would be ideal for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    A nice cruiser

Don't they come fitted with tillers and rigging as standard?

ReputationRep:
    vw polo diesel?

ReputationRep:

This? You could certainly get people to pull in if you wanted to go round them :p: Or just go over them....

On a more serious note, something with a high mpg. As much as I hate to suggest it, something like a Smart ForTwo? Or perhaps a Ford Focus if you can find one for the right price with a high mpg. Compared to driving my car, the interior of a Focus feels so spacious :p:

I don't know really. But those are my suggestions and I'm getting ready to be flamed by the people who actually know about cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamer91)
    vw polo diesel?
    I said that but my mum was like no no no it'd be far too expensive too buy and insure. :dontknow: Would you disagree? Diesel would probably be something to think about though

They're trying to get me to buy my mums KA but for one, I HATE it, and for two, for once in my life I'd like to choose something for myself They just take over and make all my decisions at every opportunity. I don't even think KAs are that great, it's just cheapness and you get what you pay for imo.

ReputationRep:
    Try maybe a 1.2 Corsa? Something similar, as to what you got now, [first car material] just with a smaller engine, 3 Door will also be lighter i think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    A nice cruiser

I like you just from your sig!

My brother has suggested something similar, are they reasonable price to buy and insure? - I have very little experience as you can probably tell!!

ReputationRep:
    if you like the 306 and want something cheap to run and insure, what about a diesel 306 hdi or d-turbo (hatchback)? Brilliant mile munchers for what they are, well handling etc, cheap to insure, reasonable to buy, will do 45-60mpg depending on spec, relatively reliable, and reasonablee to repair if they do go wrong.. that said you're only doing a 40 mile round trip, so its not going to make a huge difference to your purse to be honest. It depends how new and how economical you want to go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    Try maybe a 1.2 Corsa? Something similar, as to what you got now, [first car material] just with a smaller engine, 3 Door will also be lighter i think?
    Yeh this has been considered, the only problem I wasa thinking is that it's only really the older corsas which are small. New ones are a air bit bigger I reckon... so would I end up buying an 'old' corsa in order to fit the requirements. I would love to go with a vauxhall personally!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Yeh this has been considered, the only problem I wasa thinking is that it's only really the older corsas which are small. New ones are a air bit bigger I reckon... so would I end up buying an 'old' corsa in order to fit the requirements. I would love to go with a vauxhall personally!
    Well what about not the old ones, but not the new ones.

ReputationRep:
    I cant quite see whats wrong with the 306 :curious:

Alright, maybe not the most efficient on fuel...but with fuel prices rising etc any car is going to be expensive :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blahhh)
    I cant quite see whats wrong with the 306 :curious:

Alright, maybe not the most efficient on fuel...but with fuel prices rising etc any car is going to be expensive :rolleyes:
    Well it does guzzle a lot of fuel :rolleyes: but apart from that it is slightly knackered, I think if I don't get a new car I'll end up paying plenty to sort that out eventually. Not that newer cars don't go wrong, just might be slightly more efficient at not letting me down (fingers crossed)

ReputationRep:
    I like you just from your sig!

My brother has suggested something similar, are they reasonable price to buy and insure? - I have very little experience as you can probably tell!!
    if a little polo diesel is going to cost too much to buy/insure, a 5 series will be wayyyyyyyyy off.

although I still think a diesel polo is perfect for you (reliable/very economical)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamer91)
    if a little polo diesel is going to cost too much to buy/insure, a 5 series will be wayyyyyyyyy off.

although I still think a diesel polo is perfect for you (reliable/very economical)
    Oh Mind you bare in mind that my brother is on a COMPLETELY different page to my parents so that's probably why I'm gettng conflicting opinions!

So would you think that although the polo would be expensive at first to buy and insure it would be advantageous over other cars? Sorry if that sounds confusing, I'm trying to split suggestions into categories in my head haha.

ReputationRep:
    Toyota Aygo?

ReputationRep:
    Dodge Challenger 1971. So economical.

ReputationRep:
    A colleague at work had a Aygo as a courtesy car and I went in it - awfully plastic and clunky - the glovebox creaked, lol

he hated driving it.

I had a Mazda 323 1.6 but I then changed jobs to a 32mile round trip. i got a 2000 x reg 1.25 fiesta - i get about 40mpg on it - which is about as good as i can hope for an older/cheap/non diesel car i guess.

ReputationRep:
    Well it does guzzle a lot of fuel :rolleyes: but apart from that it is slightly knackered, I think if I don't get a new car I'll end up paying plenty to sort that out eventually. Not that newer cars don't go wrong, just might be slightly more efficient at not letting me down (fingers crossed)
    Truue....Its just I was comtemplating a new car, then when I weighed up the pro's and con's I realised that its just not worth it (unless you have a budget which allows you to buy a newer car, i.e. like 3/4 yrs old)

I currently have a 1.2 p reg renault clio, and to be fair its falling to pieces...I've had a fair amount of work done on it this year and began to think that rather to continue spending I would be better off trying to kind of upgrade it...however, when I began to look at used cars I realised that there was no point

My budget was around £1200 (being a poor gap year student and all that) and literally the newest cars I could find for that money with decent milage was V and W reg's (thats already like 9/10 years old! :eek:)....not that much younger than my car

I put my car up for sale and the highest offer I had was £130 :rolleyes:... I decided not to bother selling it since any car I bought could have stuff wrong with it (at least with my car I know what I've had fixed), I would have a large initial cost of buying (can go towards petrol/ fixing the old one) and its pretty much guaranteed that a V/W reg car in a year or so will be worth no more than the £130 I was offered for mine :yep:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.