Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What car would suit my needs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    1.4 306 aint economical?
    Maybe an Aygo diesel, wiki says this:
    Diesel / AYGO 3 & 5-door 1.4L Diesel 5-speed Man

Urban: 53.3 miles per imperial gallon (5.30 L/100 km; 44.4 mpg-US)
    Extra-urban 83.1 miles per imperial gallon (3.40 L/100 km; 69.2 mpg-US)
    Combined: 68.9 miles per imperial gallon (4.10 L/100 km; 57.4 mpg-US)
    CO2 emissions: 109 g/km[3]

Can't really think of anything more economical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Oh Mind you bare in mind that my brother is on a COMPLETELY different page to my parents so that's probably why I'm gettng conflicting opinions!

So would you think that although the polo would be expensive at first to buy and insure it would be advantageous over other cars? Sorry if that sounds confusing, I'm trying to split suggestions into categories in my head haha.
    the best thing to do is go to the auto trader website and have a look through all the cars to see if you find anything suitable.

as a guide for fuel economy, anything above 50mpg (combined) is very good (this can be found on the "technical data" tab on autotrader when you find a car you like - insurance groups can also be found here)

the polo is two insurance groups higher than a 306, so it may be wiser to look at something a bit cheaper (a skoda fabia is a good idea, it is pretty much a polo with a different badge - so will be just as economical/reliable and should have cheaper insurance)

ReputationRep:
    I like you just from your sig!

My brother has suggested something similar, are they reasonable price to buy and insure? - I have very little experience as you can probably tell!!
    Thankyou

You'll get a rough E34 with MOT from £200 a decent one for £995. E39 you'll get a rough one from £1250 to a great one for £3000.

520i is underpowered but a decent daily driver, I'd recommend a 525i or 530i (for what you'd be looking at doing), there are also diesels 530d would be the pick, followed by the 525d.

Won't be expensive to insure my 5 Series I was using as a daily cost me £500 f/c to insure (was 19/20) can't remember all ins and outs but wasn't a bad price!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamer91)
    the best thing to do is go to the auto trader website and have a look through all the cars to see if you find anything suitable.

as a guide for fuel economy, anything above 50mpg (combined) is very good (this can be found on the "technical data" tab on autotrader when you find a car you like - insurance groups can also be found here)

the polo is two insurance groups higher than a 306, so it may be wiser to look at something a bit cheaper (a skoda fabia is a good idea, it is pretty much a polo with a different badge - so will be just as economical/reliable and should have cheaper insurance)
    That's some really good info you've gave me there :yep: +rep when I next have it. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Porscha!)
    Thankyou

You'll get a rough E34 with MOT from £200 a decent one for £995. E39 you'll get a rough one from £1250 to a great one for £3000.

520i is underpowered but a decent daily driver, I'd recommend a 525i or 530i (for what you'd be looking at doing), there are also diesels 530d would be the pick, followed by the 525d.

Won't be expensive to insure my 5 Series I was using as a daily cost me £500 f/c to insure (was 19/20) can't remember all ins and outs but wasn't a bad price!
    Those prices aren't half as bad as I'd expected! I'll have a word with my brother, he knows a lot more than me and as I said has suggested something similar. I think either a decent E34 or fair E39 would be sensible for me price wise... I'm going to have a real salary for the first time ever yay!! So the first thing I'm going to look at spending on is a car I really actually quite like the E34 :o: Never would have thought of buying one though... I'm thinking about looking for a diesel but I really am gona have a good look about, with help, before I set my mind on anything. Can't wait now :bigsmile:

ReputationRep:
    I really like the E34 too ! If I can afford a cruiser for the daily winter grind to clarinet pupils houses, try to keep milage off the '44, I'll be going E34 535i without a doubt!

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, Ford KA = darth vaders helmet on wheels.

I would agree with the post before suggesting a vw polo. I'm slightly bias as I own a golf myself and my brother has a 1.4 polo, as does my friend and his parents, and I personally just find vw's solid, reliable cars.
    However, I don't believe diesel is an essential. Yes ok, you get a higher mpg, but my brothers 1.4 petrol is still very economical, not too expensive to fill and he manages 3-350 miles from a tank. You can of course get 1.2s and 1.0s as well in petrol. He picked his up for £1500 about a year and a half ago, its a 96 model, has been running solid, and apart from usual wear and tear he has had no major problems and our mechanic has said he has a solid good little motor there (after he last serviced it). Goes to show something if a little car is still runnning well after 13 years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tenski)
    Agreed, Ford KA = darth vaders helmet on wheels.

I would agree with the post before suggesting a vw polo. I'm slightly bias as I own a golf myself and my brother has a 1.4 polo, as does my friend and his parents, and I personally just find vw's solid, reliable cars.
    However, I don't believe diesel is an essential. Yes ok, you get a higher mpg, but my brothers 1.4 petrol is still very economical, not too expensive to fill and he manages 3-350 miles from a tank. You can of course get 1.2s and 1.0s as well in petrol. He picked his up for £1500 about a year and a half ago, its a 96 model, has been running solid, and apart from usual wear and tear he has had no major problems and our mechanic has said he has a solid good little motor there (after he last serviced it). Goes to show something if a little car is still runnning well after 13 years
    Hahaha I love that KA statement!

Thanks for the info, it's nice to know peoples experience with different makes and models rather than relying on sources. I am definitely interested in polos, they have pretty good reviews and are nice little runners. I'll see what's about when I have the money for it :bigsmile: Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't see why the OP would want a little tin box when she is mainly doing A Road mileage.

On the type of mileage she is doing IMO MPG doesn't really matter (she'll very easily get mid 20's - early 30's out of the BMWs I mentioned and the cars will be a lot more comfortable too).

I wouldn't touch one of those little tiny boxes, I like a car which isn't a sports car to be something a bit more substantial.

Perhaps also consider Mercedes C and E class if you like Automatics.

Porscha

ReputationRep:
    With regard to fosters comment; thats odd as with my brothers polo he's never noticed that problem with understeer. The power steering seems to work nicely and its easy to drive. Some cars may have greater potential to under/oversteer due to their design, but whether they do so depends on how you drive them (once you get to know the feel of any car you can settle into how to drive it best over time). Also, I don't think he's planning on track racing the car, so how well it can take corners without losing traction is unlikely to be tested, and I doubt he's going to notice lol. Programs like top gear test drive cars in ways that no average road user is ever going to drive them. I'm not denying your experience with them fosters, but I haven't found them to be unsafe or difficult when it comes to steering, actually found they handle pretty nimbly, I guess it would be down to shorty to test drive one and see how he finds it to drive at the end of the day. I still stick by what i said above, I think as an overall package for a small car, you can't go far wrong with a polo and it should definately be up there on your list when you come to look into some cars.

ReputationRep:
    Those prices aren't half as bad as I'd expected! I'll have a word with my brother, he knows a lot more than me and as I said has suggested something similar. I think either a decent E34 or fair E39 would be sensible for me price wise... I'm going to have a real salary for the first time ever yay!! So the first thing I'm going to look at spending on is a car I really actually quite like the E34 :o: Never would have thought of buying one though... I'm thinking about looking for a diesel but I really am gona have a good look about, with help, before I set my mind on anything. Can't wait now :bigsmile:
    Don't forget fuel costs though, a 530i will drink petrol. Nice looking cars tho, if a little big.

ReputationRep:
    not a huge ford fan, but the Cougar is a nice mile muncher for a good price, with the v6 being a rewarding enough drive too. Potentially cheaper cars to run than the 5 series' good amount of space and comfort, come better equipped for a cheaper price. I had a go in one going for little over £1k, cruise control, heated leather and the like with 80k on the clock. Reliable too and available with smaller engines if economy is a concern (although I'd go for the v6 personally)

They're relatively pretty too..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.