Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    no one should be hitting either but if a female hits a guy under the pre tense he most certainly wont do anything back, i would want her to be hit.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think most reasonable people think its unacceptable for any one to hit anyone.

But the importance of domestic violence (perpetrated by men against women) for feminists is that it represents structural inequalty. You're argument is flawed in that feminists oppose this sort of violence largely because AT THE MOMENT WOMEN AND MEN ARE NOT EQUAL i.e. the violence is merely a reflection of the patriarchal nature of society. In a sort of feminist utopia (if such a thing exists) /equal society many would argue that male on female violence would be viewed just like male on male violence is viewed today (largely unacceptable but not representative of any significant structural oppression).

(Original post by santeria)
    Well I think most reasonable people think its unacceptable for any one to hit anyone.

But the importance of domestic violence (perpetrated by men against women) for feminists is that it represents structural inequalty. You're argument is flawed in that feminists oppose this sort of violence largely because AT THE MOMENT WOMEN AND MEN ARE NOT EQUAL i.e. the violence is merely a reflection of the patriarchal nature of society. In a sort of feminist utopia (if such a thing exists) /equal society many would argue that male on female violence would be viewed just like male on male violence is viewed today (largely unacceptable but not representative of any significant structural oppression).
    I love you. I'm adding you to my rep list (it'll take a few days before you get it though - I have a few people I still owe rep to).

ReputationRep:
    christ almighty, how many times do we need the exact same thread.

no it's not alright for women to hit men.
    no it's not alright for men to hit women.
    why can't we all just not hit each other.

ReputationRep:
    If you hit someone, then you should always expect to be hit back (male:male, female:female or male:female) However, if a man hits a woman for no other reason then to show his dominance, then he deserves to be hunted down, have his testicles ripped open and what dwells inside to be crushed to a pulp, taken out, put in a blender and the contents to be fed to him. That or have "C*nt" tattooed on his forehead (or both)

ReputationRep:
    I second santeria. Ideally violence by anyone against anyone would not be tolerated but at the moment there isn't equality so it isn't treated as an equal offense. In my opinion anyway a woman hitting a man is just as bad as a man to a woman if its done in an aggressive way.
    I think though that naturally men have more of a tendency to violence both from naturally higher testosterone levels and also from years of being the 'dominant' sex that meant they had to be more violent to provide food. Not that it makes it excusable.

ReputationRep:

I am just going to leave that here, as i would get negged into oblivion if i said what i really think

ReputationRep:
    Feminists make me sick.

I literally, absolutely loathe them. Every last one of them is the same. Whining and complaining. Eugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.C.G)
    The usual counter-argument is that "men are stronger and therefore cause more damage when they hit a girl".
    It's a false counter-argument though, because crime surveys show that whilst men can do more harm by physically hitting a woman, women are more likely to use objects (i.e. knives, iron, scissors, pans, whatever they can get their hands on) to inflict violence on men. Violence doesn't have to come from the fists!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisha.doshi)
    I love you. I'm adding you to my rep list (it'll take a few days before you get it though - I have a few people I still owe rep to).
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    So:
    It is ok for a woman to hit a man out of anger.
    But if a man hits a woman out of anger it translates to "Me big alpha male, me show you with fists. Durrrrrr"?

No. If a woman hits a man first, then if she gets hit back, it's her own fault. But if a man hits a woman first with NO reason, therby attempting to assert his dominance through violence THEN he deserves the above behaviour. The same with women who assert their dominance through violence

ReputationRep:
    Female on male violence is not more or less accepted :lolwut: both are as bad as each other even if males do have the potential to cause more damage. If anything I think males not hitting women stems from a sort of tradition from the old days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    So:
    It is ok for a woman to hit a man out of anger.
    But if a man hits a woman out of anger it translates to "Me big alpha male, me show you with fists. Durrrrrr"?
    i think it is best to say that violence should not be used. However, if a woman hits a man with the intention of hurting him (as opposed to say a playful slap, or a normal slap which wouldn't leave any lasting marks) than the man can hit the woman. Obviously, hit meaning attempt to subdue.

Honestly, there is very little reason why anyone should resort to violence unless they are themselves defending against violence. I would never hit a stranger and hitting a girlfriend is idiotic and would not solve any problems at all. This goes for both genders, but simply, as someone who works out and lifts weights, i assume that my hits would do a lot more damage than my girlfriends (unless shes one of those massive, creepy bodybuilder woman.. in which case i would run away before i get raped :eek3: ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Feminists make me sick.

I literally, absolutely loathe them. Every last one of them is the same. Whining and complaining. Eugh.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I actually feel you answered my question quite well regarding the theoretical equal utopia.

Thanks for not jumping right to the neg rep button
    Wow was expecting a reply like 'patriarchy? wtf? **** off you stupid feminist, bet you're well ugly and just hate men'

Glad you aren't like that. I think there is just a lack of understanding about feminism really. The vast majority of us are reasonable people who support gender equality - we don't hate men/think its ok to hit men. We just analyse male on female violence in a certain way.

Feminists make me sick.

You are being narrow minded and ignorant. Please try to stop if you can.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by G8D)

If your main goal from being a feminist is to have equality between males and females then why is it not ok for a man to hit a woman.
    Because it's not okay for a man to hit a man or a woman to hit a man or a woman to hit a woman.

Obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisha.doshi)
    You are being narrow minded and ignorant. Please try to stop if you can.
    Nope.

They suffer from a massive inferiority complex. They don't realise that men prize women above most things in the world (particularly those who are intelligent/attractive)... methinks that they most likely think that they're unattractive/unintelligent and attempt to fight for rights that they feel will make them 'important'/'valued'.

Nope.

They suffer from a massive inferiority complex. They don't realise that men prize women above most things in the world (particularly those who are intelligent/attractive)... methinks that they most likely think that they're unattractive/unintelligent and attempt to fight for rights that they feel will make them 'important'/'valued'.
    oh right yes feminists who have fought for rights such as voting and custody and god forbid equal pay are all unattractive and unintelligent and are merely suffering from inferiority complexes? :dry:

I think you need to do some research. Wanting equality and trying to end sexist oppression is not a bad thing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.