Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisha.doshi)
    oh right yes feminists who have fought for rights such as voting and custody and god forbid equal pay are all unattractive and unintelligent and are merely suffering from inferiority complexes? :dry:

I think you need to do some research. Wanting equality and trying to end sexist oppression is not a bad thing.
    I probably should have added the word: "modern" before my first post.

But, whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    christ almighty, how many times do we need the exact same thread.

no it's not alright for women to hit men.
    no it's not alright for men to hit women.
    why can't we all just not hit each other.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Why fight for equality if you use inequality as a reason against something?
    Women are less strong than men. But they should still have equal rights. What's wrong with that?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by G8D)
    But some are deemed more socially acceptable (or socially ignored if you must) than others.
    And you blame feminists for that?

ReputationRep:
    Violence is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It's not okay for anyone to hit anyone out of anger.

I've always said to my boyfriend, if I ever hit him out of anger (which I never ever would) I'd fully expect him to turn round and hit me back.

ReputationRep:
    I think that most people, including feminists, see all violence as bad. The main issue with male-on-female violence, for feminists at least, is probably that it represents the once-normal domination of women by men. In the past, it was socially, morally and legally acceptable for a man to abuse his wife (this is still the case in some cultures). The rejection of male-on-female violence is really a rejection of this subjugation.

However, I do think that modern feminists are generally less concerned with the issue of violence, as it is no longer acceptable for a man to hit a woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirandrew)
    This goes for both genders, but simply, as someone who works out and lifts weights, i assume that my hits would do a lot more damage than my girlfriends (unless shes one of those massive, creepy bodybuilder woman.. in which case i would run away before i get raped ).
    And there is no way you could moderate your blows lol - I lift weigts etc and could easily decide whether to KO someone, hit them to the ground, or just a **** off hit. Its a flawed arguement to assume the guy would hit a girl back full on

ReputationRep:
    I will be outraged by anyone hitting someone smaller and weaker than them. I want equality for women in terms of rights and opportunities, because they are not lesser human beings than men, but it is an inescapable fact that women are physically weaker than men.

Indeed, I think people who say men should have "the right" (wtf?) to hit women are idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Nope.

They suffer from a massive inferiority complex. They don't realise that men prize women above most things in the world (particularly those who are intelligent/attractive)... methinks that they most likely think that they're unattractive/unintelligent and attempt to fight for rights that they feel will make them 'important'/'valued'.
    This isn't true. In certain religious cultures, men are allowed to rape their wives (and still were in the UK until recently). Men are allowed to kill their wives if they are adulterous, are allowed to control them, and can basically keep them away from society. Fighting against this is no way a sign of an inferiority complex. Some men may prize women, but this is not the case for all men. I think the common discrepancies in pay between men and women perfectly illustrate this.

I think feminists are strong women who are not afraid to stand up - they are in no way inferior, nor do they think this of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    If I see a thread about this one more time I will scream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    It's not okay for anyone to hit anyone out of anger.

I've always said to my boyfriend, if I ever hit him out of anger (which I never ever would) I'd fully expect him to turn round and hit me back.
    If I were violent towards my boyfriend, I wouldn't expect him to hit me back - I'd expect him to use reasonable measures of restraint against me. He could probably quite easily stop me by pinning me down or grabbing my wrists. If, however, it was necessary to stop me by hitting me, then I think that would be justified. This goes for any situation, including people of either gender.

ReputationRep:
    feminists really annoy me but man on woman violence is much worse because a guy can do more damage...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I will be outraged by anyone hitting someone smaller and weaker than them. I want equality for women in terms of rights and opportunities, because they are not lesser human beings than men, but it is an inescapable fact that women are physically weaker than men.

Indeed, I think people who say men should have "the right" (wtf?) to hit women are idiots.
    Women are weaker than men, not weak. They can still cause a considerable amount of damage. Also, I don't think it's right to say "I can hit you and you can't hit me back because I'm weaker", what you should be saying is "You're stronger than me, so I won't hit you because I know you can hit me back harder." It's common sense to not hit someone bigger than you, regardless of their sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigfatflanker)
    And there is no way you could moderate your blows lol - I lift weigts etc and could easily decide whether to KO someone, hit them to the ground, or just a **** off hit. Its a flawed arguement to assume the guy would hit a girl back full on
    well, if you're not going to hit her your hardest than you are not particularly concerned about your safety (as in, she is not a threat) and you can and should just subdue her so you don't actually hurt her.

NOT THIS AGAIN.

Only hit a man/woman/whatever in self-defence!

Arghhhhh.

ReputationRep:
    Oh No !
    Not again !

ReputationRep:
    btw , does anyone know why the ' is it wrong to hit a woman' thread was shut down ?

ReputationRep:
    If a man strikes a woman in order to cement his dominance within a patriarchal family, then it is generally frowned upon by feminists.

However, I guess that feminists would support inter-gender contact sports such as boxing. Just a guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FZka)
    btw , does anyone know why the ' is it wrong to hit a woman' thread was shut down ?
    Which one? :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.