Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    your an f***ing idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vander Beth)
    Which one? :rolleyes:
    A thread titled ' is it wrong to hit a woman ' ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by santeria)
    Well I think most reasonable people think its unacceptable for any one to hit anyone.

But the importance of domestic violence (perpetrated by men against women) for feminists is that it represents structural inequalty. You're argument is flawed in that feminists oppose this sort of violence largely because AT THE MOMENT WOMEN AND MEN ARE NOT EQUAL i.e. the violence is merely a reflection of the patriarchal nature of society. In a sort of feminist utopia (if such a thing exists) /equal society many would argue that male on female violence would be viewed just like male on male violence is viewed today (largely unacceptable but not representative of any significant structural oppression).
    I think I agree with this :yes:

ReputationRep:
    all this "men are more likely to cause damage to women" is complete ********, nothing more than ********

you want to see the amount of men admitted to hospital because their partners have hit them, but knowing they arent as strong they will use weapons and cause a lot, lot more damage than a fist

ReputationRep:
    I think hitting people is wrong full stop.
    Often when men hit women there is a big difference in the strength of the two individuals which makes it worse in the same way it would seem bad for a very strong muscly man to hit a skinny 8 stone guy, or for an adult to hit a child.

ReputationRep:
    1. What a stupid thread.

2. Feminism isn't all about if it's wrong for a man to hit a woman or not. There are other (more important) issues such as equal pay, freedom in the workplace, which all links to fighting against gender discrimination.

3. Everyone that says "I hate feminists" ought to have their head re-examined and/or just accept that it's the 21st century and women deserve to be heard.

4. All forms of violence are wrong, no matter what gender you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.C.G)
    Women are weaker than men, not weak. They can still cause a considerable amount of damage. Also, I don't think it's right to say "I can hit you and you can't hit me back because I'm weaker", what you should be saying is "You're stronger than me, so I won't hit you because I know you can hit me back harder." It's common sense to not hit someone bigger than you, regardless of their sex.
    FAIL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    1. Thanks for the info.

2. I was isolating this area of equality to gain further insight. I never once stated that this was all femminists concentrate on.

3. I hate the femminists who are either simply there as they hate men or are there because its what women do (contradiction much?). I admire genuine femminists, they are fighting for something they deserve. It's a shame there are some looneys giving you a bad name.

4. Some are more accepted by society though, this is a fact you cannot deny.
    1. You're welcome :p:

2. Then perhaps you ought to change the title of this thread.

3. Most feminists in this world are still fighting to achieve a more equal and better world for women. Feminists are beggining to be stereotyped as "man-hating". This is not true.

4. Domestic violence is clearly more frowned upon than man-to-man fights, it's true, but that doesn't mean that one form of violence is better than the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    FAIL.
    they are, I don't see what's so fail about that statement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketofsnakes)
    they are, I don't see what's so fail about that statement
    That statement isn't true unless you specify. How are we weaker than men?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    That statement isn't true unless you specify. How are we weaker than men?
    I'm pretty sure he meant physically, and yes you are physically weaker than men

ReputationRep:
    It appears that the ladies in this thread subscribe to the misconception feminism is about equal rights. When in reality it is a movement campaigning for rights for women, including extra rights over men and at the expense of men. This is why men ahte feminists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    If your main goal from being a feminist is to have equality between males and females then why is it not ok for a man to hit a woman.
    I don't think that it's okay for a woman to hit a man, or indeed for anyone to hit anyone except in self defence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasharox)
    I think that most people, including feminists, see all violence as bad.
    Even corporal punishment? Unfortunately I've known many people, both men and women, to bang on about how grave domestic violence is who are all too willing to use violence against their children, if they had any, for trivial matters that they would not do to their spouse. I love how many people on TSR lump feminists into the stereotype of men hating *****es, which only really applies to radicals, not liberals.

Unfortunately I study a course that I can experience this first hand. Fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Even corporal punishment? Unfortunately I've known many people, both men and women, to bang on about how grave domestic violence is who are all too willing to use violence against their children, if they had any, for trivial matters that they would not do to their spouse. I love how many people on TSR lump feminists into the stereotype of men hating *****es, which only really applies to radicals, not liberals.

Unfortunately I study a course that I can experience this first hand. Fun!
    I guess my original statement was a bit of a sweeping one! I meant it in the sense that, not many people (feminists or otherwise) are pro-violence (at least, I hope not). Of course, all feminists differ in their views of different things.

I agree with the annoying habit to stereotype feminists as lesbians, etc. I've seen people on here saying things like 'feminists annoy me' - but why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn-er)
    Feminists make me sick.

I literally, absolutely loathe them. Every last one of them is the same. Whining and complaining. Eugh.
    generalisation much?!

ReputationRep:
    I guess my original statement was a bit of a sweeping one! I meant it in the sense that, not many people (feminists or otherwise) are pro-violence (at least, I hope not). Of course, all feminists differ in their views of different things.
    Well I think some, from what I've read at university so far, are conveniently brushing aside corporal punishment. What will happen, with the general public, is that in domestic violence cases you will get the famous case of R v R cited quite often (and yes it was gravely overdue) but when corporal punishment is mentioned few care that the law states you can use a belt on your kid. We're told that violence is a vicious circle. I have a theory that clamping down on social attitudes on corporal punishment might lead to fewer cases of domestic violence in the long run. A lot of violence between perpetrator and victim nearly always have a significant 'power' difference, whether it's a strong man and a weaker woman, a mother and her child, or a gang of bullies at school and a lone victim. I've yet to be approached by a lone chav wanting a fight with me - always three or more. Bit pathetic really - no honour.

I agree with the annoying habit to stereotype feminists as lesbians, etc. I've seen people on here saying things like 'feminists annoy me' - but why?
    Same reason with Yanks and Communists?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJudge)
    It appears that the ladies in this thread subscribe to the misconception feminism is about equal rights. When in reality it is a movement campaigning for rights for women, including extra rights over men and at the expense of men. This is why men ahte feminists.
    How much feminist literature have you actually read? You are gravely incorrect.

Try reading up on the subject, and familiarising yourselves with the arguments, and then say something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Because many people are incapable of distinguishing between the radical nutcases and the normal type?

ReputationRep:
    Its not okay for anyone to hit anyone? Whoever holds this stupid X cant hit Y idea is an idiot. End of story.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.