Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No strings attached sex, in your opinion is it highly immoral? Watch

I have always thought so, but then recently there has been this guy who is very attractive, i get on well with...neither of us want a relationship per se, because of our careers....and tbh Im just not wanting anything heavy right now.

Ive always been quite straight laced and uptight about sexual things, mainly because of my upbringing. But now I feel that i want to break free from that, but it feels highly wrong in doing so?

He suggested that maybe we should be "friends with benefits"....and I have to say, its very very tempting. But i dont know whether I would feel degraded or cheapened by it. Im having this battle between what I want or think I need and what i know is "right"....or what has been impressed upon me for an early age as to what is "right".

Thoughts?

Ultimately its my decision I know, but I would just like to hear your take on it.

ReputationRep:
    It's never no strings though is it.

Even if there is no feelings for the other person, feelings of your own self can be pretty strong.

Edit: 400th post wooop

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's immoral, no. In my opinion it devalues things though - I appreciate other people might thing differently but I believe that sex is something very emotional and I prefer it to be part of something meaningful.

I don't get casual sex.. it just wouldn't do anything for me at all.

ReputationRep:
    Do it
    It's good.
    P.S call me ;-) haha

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely nothing immoral about it. If two people want to do something that doesn't affect anybody else, then that is up to them. Doing something can only sensibly be immoral when there are negative consequences for other people.

Though just be careful that you don't end up developing feelings and getting hurt. If you don't think that will be too much of a problem, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    He suggested that maybe we should be "friends with benefits"....and I have to say, its very very tempting. But i dont know whether I would feel degraded or cheapened by it. Im having this battle between what I want or think I need and what i know is "right"....or what has been impressed upon me for an early age as to what is "right".

Thoughts?

Ultimately its my decision I know, but I would just like to hear your take on it.
    Well

Does "Friends with Benefits" and "No strings attached sex" go hand-in-hand?...

Also, its stupid, it never works....also, you dont *need* friends with benefits...

You'll probably end up feeling cheapened by it..because, what happens if you fall for him and he gets a gf?...I mean, all you are to him is just a sex buddy..

ReputationRep:
    imo not immoral, but I definitely wouldn't

ReputationRep:
    It's not immoral, but these things can go wrong if one or the other develops feelings which are not mutual.

ReputationRep:
    As long as both are consenting and they both want to, then I dont see how it could be seen as immoral. As long as ones not completely plastered and the others sober.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see how two adults voluntarily entering into a sexual relationship (unless of course their is some sort of coercion or exploitation taking place) could be described as 'immoral'. I'd say do it if you think you can handle it and you won't get hurt. If not best to just stay away.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see anything immoral about it.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your comfort levels and whether you're both on the same page. I don't think morality needs to come into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have always thought so, but then recently there has been this guy who is very attractive, i get on well with...neither of us want a relationship per se, because of our careers....and tbh Im just not wanting anything heavy right now.

Ive always been quite straight laced and uptight about sexual things, mainly because of my upbringing. But now I feel that i want to break free from that, but it feels highly wrong in doing so?

Thoughts?

Most people on TSR would say yes do it. In the interests of balance and to give you food for thought heres my take. Obviously you are having second thoughts because you yourself feel that it is immoral. Yes I would regard it as being highly immoral. Casual sex is all about satisfying your selfish desires. Without there being a strong relationship - a joining of the minds (love) - it becomes nothing more than mutual masterbation, you may as well be humping a corpse! It just becomes cold and clinical.

Ultimately as well as you using him, he is using you. Do you want to be little more than a *** bucket for him? Why don't you keep some dignity and have a little self pride and some self respect? When you give yourself to him for nothing he will think very little of you - even if he says otherwise!

My advice to you is that: if you are getting attention from 'attractive' men like that then you are obviously an attractive girl. Use your looks (and personality!) to find a man who will really value you as a person and to have a meaningful relationship with. Don't be shy - a lot of men would probably be flattered if you started to talk to them.

It's up to you but I hope I've given you something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with it in the slighest, everyone loves sex, why should you be tied down to have it?

But, friends with benefits can only last so long, one of you will develop feelings after a while - most likely you as your female!

God_of_war, your sleeping with the wrong people if its like shagging a corpse :p:

ReputationRep:
    Its not immoral, but it always seems to get complicated. This is more apparent in "friends with benefits" situations. One will more than likely develop feelings and someone gets hurt.
    This is what I've seen/experienced anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's really immoral, but it isn't for everybody.

But as people have said, it may be hard to keep the strings unattatched

ReputationRep:
    It's not immoral. It might not work, but it would be an experience. Sex is fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God of War)
    My advice to you is that: if you are getting attention from 'attractive' men like that then you are obviously an attractive girl. Use your looks (and personality!) to find a man who will really value you as a person and to have a meaningful relationship with.
    What's a meaningless relationship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophistress)
    What's a meaningless relationship?
    A relationship based upon just sex.

ReputationRep:
    It will change eventually . . Dw its fine !

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.