Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

No strings attached sex, in your opinion is it highly immoral? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Its not immoral, but it always seems to get complicated. This is more apparent in "friends with benefits" situations. One will more than likely develop feelings and someone gets hurt.
    This is what I've seen/experienced anyway.
    true ive done it myself a few times and only one girl has ever played by the rule of "if you cant handle it dont play."

even i fell once - but that was long ago in my days of naive youth

anyway no its not immoral and its a lot of fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by God of War)
    Most people on TSR would say yes do it. In the interests of balance and to give you food for thought heres my take. Obviously you are having second thoughts because you yourself feel that it is immoral. Yes I would regard it as being highly immoral. Casual sex is all about satisfying your selfish desires. Without there being a strong relationship - a joining of the minds (love) - it becomes nothing more than mutual masterbation, you may as well be humping a corpse! It just becomes cold and clinical.

Ultimately as well as you using him, he is using you. Do you want to be little more than a *** bucket for him? Why don't you keep some dignity and have a little self pride and some self respect? When you give yourself to him for nothing he will think very little of you - even if he says otherwise!

My advice to you is that: if you are getting attention from 'attractive' men like that then you are obviously an attractive girl. Use your looks (and personality!) to find a man who will really value you as a person and to have a meaningful relationship with. Don't be shy - a lot of men would probably be flattered if you started to talk to them.

It's up to you but I hope I've given you something to think about.
    She said she's too busy for a relationship... it's not about being shy. Lol and mutual masterbation? Why is masterbation immoral?! Sex is fun and stress-relieving, I don't see how having it while not being in a relationship means you are 'satisfying your selfish desires'. I don't think friends with benefits is immoral op... I would just be wary if you think you could become too attached to him with him not feeling the same, or vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Well

Does "Friends with Benefits" and "No strings attached sex" go hand-in-hand?...
    Typically, yes.

Also, its stupid, it never works....
    It worked for me.

also, you dont *need* friends with benefits...
    By that same token, nor do you 'need' friends per se; but they're nice to have around.

You'll probably end up feeling cheapened by it..because, what happens if you fall for him and he gets a gf?...I mean, all you are to him is just a sex buddy..
    Assuming she has spent long enough in the company of this person, she can probably make an informed judgement regarding whether or not she'd be liable to 'fall' for him. Of course, sexual intimacy may catalyse a sentimental attachment where none would otherwise exist, but this is by no means inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)

Assuming she has spent long enough in the company of this person, she can probably make an informed judgement regarding whether or not she'd be liable to 'fall' for him. Of course, sexual intimacy may catalyse a sentimental attachment where none would otherwise exist, but this is by no means inevitable.
    Indeed, and sentimental attachments happen in friendships anyway. Alot of people feel slightly jealous for example when a good friend gets a new lover, whether or not they are sexually involved... plus the number of threads on TSR along the lines of 'ive fallen for my best friend what do i do?!' suggests that not sleeping together doesnt remove the possibility of falling for him..

ReputationRep:
    No way. It's just one of those modern things.
    People have sexual needs and might not want a committed relationship, so it's a way around the situation.
    I do think there is a danger of one of the two getting more attached than the other. Usually the female to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Most people on TSR would say yes do it. In the interests of balance and to give you food for thought heres my take. Obviously you are having second thoughts because you yourself feel that it is immoral. Yes I would regard it as being highly immoral. Casual sex is all about satisfying your selfish desires.
    So is eating ice-cream. Can eating ice-cream therefore be considered immoral?

Without there being a strong relationship - a joining of the minds (love) - it becomes nothing more than mutual masterbation, you may as well be humping a corpse! It just becomes cold and clinical.
    My friends and I will routinely interact in the most superficial manner whilst observing the social custom of 'small-talk'. However this needn't preclude sentiments ranging from amusement, to intrigue, to mirth, to surprise, and is no more 'cold' or 'clinical' for not being borne out of a more profound affinity (such as 'love').

Ultimately as well as you using him, he is using you.
    How very ethical.

Do you want to be little more than a *** bucket for him? Why don't you keep some dignity and have a little self pride and some self respect?
    Why are you such a ludicrous sexist?

When you give yourself to him for nothing he will think very little of you - even if he says otherwise!
    Only if he's as bigoted, judgemental and atavistic as you are.

My advice to you is that: if you are getting attention from 'attractive' men like that then you are obviously an attractive girl. Use your looks (and personality!) to find a man who will really value you as a person and to have a meaningful relationship with. Don't be shy - a lot of men would probably be flattered if you started to talk to them.

My advice to you, going forward, would be to engage your brain before engaging your keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    I can't comment on whether I'd find it immoral but in my opinion it would seem pointless.

I mean, if you're going to have sexo there's at least got to be some kind of incentive like I'd need to get compensated in some way.

I could just have an orgasm with my hand or a fleshlight etc. so if you're prepared to do it with a woman there's got to be some specific further incentive otherwise just lolwut!

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Why do so many people automatically assume that during sex the man is using the woman?
    I'm not proud of it, but I've used a boy for sex before.
    It's kinda like assuming females get nothing out of the sexual experience, which is a damn lie.
    It's quite degrading and old fashioned.

ReputationRep:
    theres nothing morally wrong with it . as long as your both 100% happy with it jus being friends with benefits , its wrong if one person wants a relationship but the other just wants sex

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Re title: Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Immoral, no. Not in line with my personal views of sex, yes.

ReputationRep:
    So is eating ice-cream. Can eating ice-cream therefore be considered immoral?

I was talking about sex changing from an expression of love (in a stable long term relationship) to an evil act representative of human selfishness and immorality. Eating ice cream could be selfish (you are indulging the self) but can never be immoral because you are not USING someone else! :rolleyes:

My friends and I will routinely interact in the most superficial manner whilst observing the social custom of 'small-talk'. However this needn't preclude sentiments ranging from amusement, to intrigue, to mirth, to surprise, and is no more 'cold' or 'clinical' for not being borne out of a more profound affinity (such as 'love').

Good for you? With the amount of reputation you have on this forum - I'am surprised you have time for friends!!! What has this got to do with anything? I'am talking about the actual act of having sex becoming cold and clinical because it is no longer an expression of love. You dont care about the other person - only your own enjoyment.

How very ethical.

Thank you. :rolleyes:

Why are you such a ludicrous sexist?

In my post I criticised both the male and the female part of the equation that is 'casual sex.' I love women and it upsets me to see them giving themselves away cheaply to men who think nothing of them and treat them horribly

Only if he's as bigoted, judgemental and atavistic as you are.

Thanks for resorting to petty insults (that have no real meaning) instead of debating me properly. We are all young adults here. Don't agree with me then debate me? Resorting to childish insults just makes you look pathetic. :rolleyes:

My advice to you, going forward, would be to engage your brain before engaging your keyboard.
    You should perhaps engage your brain! :rolleyes: Answers in bold.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking about sex changing from an expression of love (in a stable long term relationship) to an evil act representative of human selfishness and immorality.
    Begging the question.

Eating ice cream could be selfish (you are indulging the self) but can never be immoral because you are not USING someone else!
    When I purchase ice-cream from a supermarket, I am 'using' the cashier to facilitate my own selfish desire (to consume ice-cream). Is the purchase of ice-cream therefore an immoral act; mindful, of course, that the cashier is themselves 'using' me to procure their livelihood?

Good for you? With the amount of reputation you have on this forum - I'am surprised you have time for friends!!!
    I can assure you that my reputation has more to do with the quality than with the quantity of my contributions.

What has this got to do with anything? I'am talking about the actual act of having sex becoming cold and clinical because it is no longer an expression of love.
    I shall recapitulate: an absence of 'love' no more renders sex "cold and clinical" than it does, ipso facto any other mode of human interaction.

You dont care about the other person - only your own enjoyment.
    You've failed to clarify why this is 'immoral', assuming a relationship of mutual benefit which is not necessarily precluded by the '****-buddy' scenario outlined in the original post.

Thank you.
    I was referring to the quid pro quo (i.e. mutually-beneficial) nature of the transaction, which makes it prima facie ethical - and arguably, by extension, entirely moral.

In my post I criticised both the male and the female part of the equation that is 'casual sex.' I love women and it upsets me to see them giving themselves away cheaply to men who think nothing of them and treat them horribly
    If you loved women then you wouldn't patronise, demean and belittle them with an egregious pseudo-morality predicated on outmoded stereotypes. At any rate, suffice it to say that yours is a straw-man hypothesis of no inherent relevance.

Thanks for resorting to petty insults (that have no real meaning) instead of debating me properly. We are all young adults here. Don't agree with me then debate me? Resorting to childish insults just makes you look pathetic.
    I defy you to refute these allegations, which are quite exhaustively substantiated both by your own insidious sophistry and by my subsequent rebuttals; that you are atavistic, bigoted and judgemental is wholly evident.

You should perhaps engage your brain! :rolleyes: Answers in bold.
    Nice comeback, Groucho.

ReputationRep:
    Profesh, why do you bother arguing with such numptys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Profesh, why do you bother arguing with such numptys?
    Because I feel a philosophical duty to expose specious arguments for the benefit of those who aren't numpties, and thus receptive to inquiry. Like that impudent little whistle-blower in The Emperor's New Clothes.

ReputationRep:
    Because I feel a philosophical duty to expose specious arguments for the benefit of those who aren't numpties, and thus receptive to inquiry. Like that impudent little whistle-blower in The Emperor's New Clothes.
    :girl: carry on.

ReputationRep:
    no strings attached is just a pleasant way of saying ur going to be a whore

ReputationRep:
    Most people on TSR would say yes do it. In the interests of balance and to give you food for thought heres my take. Obviously you are having second thoughts because you yourself feel that it is immoral. Yes I would regard it as being highly immoral. Casual sex is all about satisfying your selfish desires. Without there being a strong relationship - a joining of the minds (love) - it becomes nothing more than mutual masterbation, you may as well be humping a corpse! It just becomes cold and clinical.

Ultimately as well as you using him, he is using you. Do you want to be little more than a *** bucket for him? Why don't you keep some dignity and have a little self pride and some self respect? When you give yourself to him for nothing he will think very little of you - even if he says otherwise!

Thanks You!!... One of the only comments in this thread that i fully agree with. :top:

ReputationRep:
    No.

If long as your both consenting adults comfortable with the prospect of meaninglessly hooking up, leading to a potential unforseen risk that you could end up wanting much more than you both initally bargained for, then yeah I'd say it's great! :rolleyes:

But seriously, you should try and let things go- even if things do go belly up at least you took a risk

P.S. what's with the immoral angle of the question? Having sex hardly constitutes to a lack of morality or compares with something like cold blooded murder- it's a bit strong...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.