Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
    The people who you've had experiences with obviously felt more comfortable with people of their own race.. Why.. Because they're raised in such a way that sees them cut off from people from different backgrounds.

Thats just one example.. Heres another.. Me

I was born in an all white working class area.. Subsequently I am one of the highest acheivers in my school I like all types of Music & Culture for example most of my friends like Heavy Metal music e.c.t.. I only have about 3 other black friends.

How can you possibly tell me that integration doesnt play a part..?
    i see what you mean and sure enough a lot of minorities do integrate themselves. the asian i get along most with, for example, has lots of white friends but that might be more of a reflection on that he enjoys anime and bands like lostprophets. but i mean, a lot of minorities can find it hard to fit in with general society because they've got nothing in common with it! i'm talking about, for example, asians who would rather listen to music and movies associated with their culture. asians who are very religious (as is the case with, for example, muslims) and so on.

my point is, should they have to change to appeal to society? (to the mainstream) they shouldn't have to! okay there's certain expectations such as learning the english language and finding a job. but we should accept that they have different tastes to us and live peacefully even if there is some natural separation.

ReputationRep:
    Heck no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    ive said this before, Britain has been multi-racial for 200 years its not going to change, and theres nothing wrong with it
    Hardly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Hardly.
    Im not arguing all ths over again, i meant multi ethinc as multi racial

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    Im not arguing all ths over again, i meant multi ethinc as multi racial
    Well when you consider prior to 1945 London was 95% White British and the country as a whole 99+% White I can hardly see how it could be described as multi-ethnic.

ReputationRep:
    92% of people here are white.
    is that true?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Well when you consider prior to 1945 London was 95% White British and the country as a whole 99+% White I can hardly see how it could be described as multi-ethnic.
    awesome, ethnic diversity began as soon as immigrants began coming to britain. It was becoming ethically diverse prior to 1945 which is being counted as irrelative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollee)
    is that true?
    According to the 2001 Census, 92.1% are white. Of course, we'll see how that's changed in the 2011 census. Either way, if the area you live in you feel has less than 92.1% white population, you're probably right as the non-white population is nowhere near evenly distributed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    I'm not racist and do not wish to sound like a BNP supporter but don't you feel white British people will become a minority sometime in the future. I was out in town today and I saw so many black and Asian people with a few whites chucked in lol. I've got nothing against people coming over here to live but the Government simply has let in far too many, including white Europeans.
    The thing is it makes you frightened of saying anything as you get labelled a racist which I am not, my boyfriend is Algerian & his family are muslim & I spend a lot of time with them.
    I have no problems with people coming to England cause at the end of the day it is all one world we live in. The thing that annoys me is when they can't speak any english & want new rules made for them, like we're not allowed nativity plays at xmas now...that is part of the british tradition!! I don't think we should change the english rules and traditions as people from other countrys don't follow the same religion, tough luck I am afraid! When we go to certain countries we have to cover up cause it offends them & we do that!

Its also very annoying when people from other countries claim benefits when they haven't put anything in the system!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollee)
    is that true?
    Not where I live :p:

ReputationRep:
    :yawn: no, because I really don't care about race.

ReputationRep:
    The country is just too bloody PC, hence why OP had to exhaust a line just stating he was not bnp/racist/nazi/homophobe/anti-semite etc etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klash1022)
    The thing is it makes you frightened of saying anything as you get labelled a racist which I am not, my boyfriend is Algerian & his family are muslim & I spend a lot of time with them.
    I have no problems with people coming to England cause at the end of the day it is all one world we live in. The thing that annoys me is when they can't speak any english & want new rules made for them, like we're not allowed nativity plays at xmas now...that is part of the british tradition!! I don't think we should change the english rules and traditions as people from other countrys don't follow the same religion, tough luck I am afraid! When we go to certain countries we have to cover up cause it offends them & we do that!

Its also very annoying when people from other countries claim benefits when they haven't put anything in the system!!
    Is this a national ban? :moon:

(Original post by Byllie)
    The country is just too bloody PC, hence why OP had to exhaust a line just stating he was not bnp/racist/nazi/homophobe/anti-semite etc etc
    Why, it's not like such a statement was going to be at all convincing is it? In fact "I'm not a racist but" is such a cliche that actually using it indicates immediately that you are either an idiot or a troll. Surely? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleshambles)
    Is this a national ban? :moon:

Why, it's not like such a statement was going to be at all convincing is it? In fact "I'm not a racist but" is such a cliche that actually using it indicates immediately that you are either an idiot or a troll. Surely? :curious:
    I think it is something some schools have enforced!!
    My friends little girl goes to a church of england school and they have stopped them there so not sure to be honest but it was on the news last yr!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klash1022)
    I think it is something some schools have enforced!!
    My friends little girl goes to a church of england school and they have stopped them there so not sure to be honest but it was on the news last yr!
    Interesting. Could I see a source on that?

ReputationRep:
    nope.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not. Britain prides itself as a multi-racial state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Why does it matter if we become more multicultural? The government should keep the interests of UK citizens are heart - and being a citizen of the UK doesn't imply you are white.

Realize that immigration isn't necessarily a bad thing provided it is controlled in the correct way. I don't think the "racial" mix has anything to do with it. People can be British and not white.

What does it even mean to be "British" anyway. Think about it, a large proportion of the UK is from mainland European origin anyway. Why are you as a white citizen anymore British than your black friend who emigrated here 100 years ago?
    Totally agree and it really annoys me when people use 'British' to mean white British people.

(Original post by Muffin.)
    Totally agree and it really annoys me when people use 'British' to mean white British people.
    Skin colour no, but culture plays a big part.

Somebody who maintains the culture of Yemen or Pakistan and holds a British passport, when asked what his nationality is and replies "Yemeni" or "Pakistani" (just examples), is not British.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I love how my thread has generated so many replies. It's clearly annoyed the PC feed the world lefties.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.