Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffin.)
    Totally agree and it really annoys me when people use 'British' to mean white British people.
    So basically what your saying is that someone like Trevor McDonald for e.g is not as British as Dermot Murnaghan or a murderer like Ian Huntly..?

Expand please..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eLECTROLOSIS)
    So basically what your saying is that someone like Trevor McDonald for e.g is not as British as Dermot Murnaghan or a murderer like Ian Huntly..?

Expand please..
    Being a murderer doesn't make you any less British.

(Of course I'm aware Britishness isn't determined by skin colour btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Being a murderer doesn't make you any less British.
    Yes.. Its almost as trivial as something like skin colour..?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.. Its almost as trivial as something like skin colour..?
    Well yeah, if you're born in Britain, you're technically British aren't you? So it doesn't matter what your skin colour is.

Expand please..
    I think you misunderstood the poster. The poster was basically saying that it's annoying that certain people ie the BNP believe that you have to be white to be British so certain people may not consider Trevor McDonald british but not that poster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    I think you misunderstood the poster. The poster was basically saying that it's annoying that certain people ie the BNP believe that you have to be white to be British so certain people may not consider Trevor McDonald british but not that poster.
    Oops.. Taken in context with the previous quote.. You are right ;P

ReputationRep:
    How is Trevor McDonald British though anyways? It says on wikipedia he's 'a Trinidadian-born'

(Original post by FM08)
    How is Trevor McDonald British though anyways? It says on wikipedia he's 'a Trinidadian-born'
    Well I didn't know that but I was trying to use that as an example.

EDIT It does say Trinidadian-born however through the process of naturalisation he is British

ReputationRep:
    Epic lolz.

ReputationRep:
    He probably has a UK Passport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeterMcPete)
    If you come to Britain you should expect to be. If I went to India I wouldnt moan due to the lack of white people.
    Well, I didn't come here, I was born here, but thats besides the point I guess.

I wasn't complaining. I was just suprised cos Bristol's quite a large city. In fact I've been to Bristol loads of times before and it's never bothered me. I was just more aware of it more aware cos I spoke to a lady that day, who's daughter went India and was really shocked about being the only white person! I just spend the whole day feeling like I stood out.

Your comment actually made me lol, cos whenever my friends come back from travelling and are like 'no one spoke English!' I'm always like 'well, what did you expect?!'

ReputationRep:

Expand please..
    No I was saying that people can be 'british' regardless of skin colour

ReputationRep:
    hmmm.... i don't know i don't really care, as long as the multiracials don't break the law who cares it kinda a free country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffin.)
    No I was saying that people can be 'british' regardless of skin colour
    or British passports

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Well yeah, if you're born in Britain, you're technically British aren't you? So it doesn't matter what your skin colour is.
    What about ethnic British born outside of Britain?

ReputationRep:
    It's joke how people talk about being "British" like say most white people don't have Irish/German/French etc. ancestry

ReputationRep:
    British is a cultural identity rather than an ethnic one, anybody can be British. The ethnic identities would be English, Scottish, Welsh, Irish, Ulster-Scot etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by akhuma)
    Incorrect. I live a in a town that has a cathedral. how does that work? If you want...do some reasearch. Blackburn Cathedral.
    Do feel free to check this out...!

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/City

Under "What makes a City?" Last bullet point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    I'm not racist and do not wish to sound like a BNP supporter but don't you feel white British people will become a minority sometime in the future. I was out in town today and I saw so many black and Asian people with a few whites chucked in lol. I've got nothing against people coming over here to live but the Government simply has let in far too many, including white Europeans.
    My greatest of ancestors are Basque. Get out of our island you stupid Celts, Saxon and Viking descendants...:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    I'm not racist and do not wish to sound like a BNP supporter but don't you feel white British people will become a minority sometime in the future. I was out in town today and I saw so many black and Asian people with a few whites chucked in lol. I've got nothing against people coming over here to live but the Government simply has let in far too many, including white Europeans.
    :wtf:

No. You fool.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.