Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with other races. I am absolutely fine with a multicultural society.
    If I do have a problem with people from other cultures, though... it's their religion. But I'm not (religion?)ist, I dislike Christianity equally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    bull how do you work that one out ?
    Britain has not been multi racial for the last 200 years. That is not historic fact.

Mass immigration has only occurred in this country since the late fifties, and it hasn't been mixed enough for it to be deemed multi racial until the last 20 years, some would argue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    coming over here and taking all of our jobs:huff:
    What did Vietnam ever do for me? :hmpf: :goaway:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AP_89)
    Have a look inside them, dude.
    I'm sorry, but I can't really see what your on about. Pretty much every Village in England has a Church Building...

I know about 2 places that have a Mosque, I also know of a Synagogue (sp?). Now that average is pretty small, unless your counting every Religious household as a place of Worship, which in reality doesn't really count.

I'm talking about proper purpose built buildings here, which Church wins i'm afraid. Even if it's an ex church building, It still goes to show that this was and to be honest still is a Christian Country, whether or not you believe in it or not. Personally, I don't. But everywhere you go there is normally at least one Church to be found.

And what makes a City a City?? A Cathedral... Which, you guessed it. Is for the Christianity Religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teshla^^)
    What did Vietnam ever do for me? :hmpf: :goaway:
    they invented the anus burger:indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    Britain has not been multi racial for the last 200 years. That is not historic fact.

Mass immigration has only occurred in this country since the late fifties, and it hasn't been mixed enough for it to be deemed multi racial until the last 20 years, some would argue.
    It doesnt matter if its mass migration or not
    Italians since 1800
    Germans, Austrians since 1800
    Jews since 1700
    Russians since 1800
    Poles since 1940.

Thats not liberal thats fact, by 1945 most immigrants had well established communities in Britain. A lot of them had intergrated with the indingenous population.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. 92% of the U.K are white. Only around 3% are Black or mixed race. The other 5% is made up of various other ethnic groups including Indians etc.

Although living in London, this is hard to believe at times.

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt matter if its mass migration or not
    Italians since 1800
    Germans, Austrians since 1800
    Jews since 1700
    Russians since 1800
    Poles since 1940.

Thats not liberal thats fact, by 1945 most immigrants had well established communities in Britain. A lot of them had intergrated with the indingenous population.
    The odd number of European residents ( and I mean odd number, the figures for what you spoke of are miniscule) is in no comparison to the current waves of mass third world immigration we are enduring at present.

I would also say you misinterpret the definition of race, because all of those you mentioned,except the jews, are the same race as the natives. Perhaps they are of difference cultures, however nowhere near the level to deem Britain a multicultural society at that time.

ReputationRep:
    The odd number of European residents ( and I mean odd number, the figures for what you spoke of are miniscule) is in no comparison to the current waves of mass third world immigration we are enduring at present.

I would also say you misinterpret the definition of race, because all of those you mentioned,except the jews, are the same race as the natives. Perhaps they are of difference cultures, however nowhere near the level to deem Britain a multicultural society at that time.
    Thats your opinion, race and ethnicty similarities, i didnt say it had made a muliticultural society at the time, i should have made it clearer has been becoming so over the last 200 years, by that i mean it had its roots 1800-1945 till mass displacement became the key factor. Just because there the same race does not mean they were treated as equals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shirley7)
    I'm not racist and do not wish to sound like a BNP supporter but don't you feel white British people will become a minority sometime in the future. I was out in town today and I saw so many black and Asian people with a few whites chucked in lol. I've got nothing against people coming over here to live but the Government simply has let in far too many, including white Europeans.

Very true

In some towns white people are already the minority

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I personally think it's not multiracial enough

ReputationRep:
    Thats your opinion, race and ethnicty similarities, i didnt say it had made a muliticultural society at the time, i should have made it clearer has been becoming so over the last 200 years, by that i mean it had its roots 1800-1945 till mass displacement became the key factor. Just because there the same race does not mean they were treated as equals.
    Of course. However, claiming the society from 1800-1950 is as multi-racial, multi-ethnic or multi-cultural as from 1950-2009 is nothing other than a lie.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. However, claiming the society from 1800-1950 is as multi-racial, multi-ethnic or multi-cultural as from 1950-2009 is nothing other than a lie.
    something i didnt do, fact is it had its roots which therefore makes the UK multiracial.
    people complain about immigrants and other races when the monarchy is ethnically varied. The irony

ReputationRep:
    something i didnt do, fact is it had its roots which therefore makes the UK a multiracial.
    It doesn't, as I just explained. This multi-cultural experiment is an entirely modern idea.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't, as I just explained. This multi-cultural experiment is an entirely modern idea.
    and your ignoring the fact that its a process thats been happening prior to 1945 which makes it multi racial

ReputationRep:
    and your ignoring the fact that its a process thats been happening prior to 1945 which makes it multi racial
    Not on the mass scale we are seeing today. You simply cannot compare the tiny amount of european immigrants entering Britain prior to the late fifties to the massive third world immigration we are seeing now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackfish)
    I'm sorry, but I can't really see what your on about. Pretty much every Village in England has a Church Building...

I know about 2 places that have a Mosque, I also know of a Synagogue (sp?). Now that average is pretty small, unless your counting every Religious household as a place of Worship, which in reality doesn't really count.

I'm talking about proper purpose built buildings here, which Church wins i'm afraid. Even if it's an ex church building, It still goes to show that this was and to be honest still is a Christian Country, whether or not you believe in it or not. Personally, I don't. But everywhere you go there is normally at least one Church to be found.

And what makes a City a City?? A Cathedral... Which, you guessed it. Is for the Christianity Religion.
    I was never denying churches outweigh other religious buildings in numbers in the UK, but that church attendance and general Christian values are so low in this country. Therefore it isn't accurate to call this a Christian country when the majority of the population aren't actual Christians - despite many claiming to be, often when it gives them an opportunity to snub another religion.

ReputationRep:
    Not on the mass scale we are seeing today. You simply cannot compare the tiny amount of european immigrants entering Britain prior to the late fifties to the massive third world immigration we are seeing now.
    thats not what I have said, ive said its development from 1800 to at least 1945 which has led to a multi cultural/ racial. But it had its roots so it was becoming so.

ReputationRep:
    Ok... I'm not snubbing another religion here, and with all due respect I think your missing the point here.

Christmas is recognised as something that happens and that we UKians believe in, do we not...?? It's part of the way of English Life... So Why should a Christmas Tree be taken down for a 2 week visitor, when it is something that happens in this country whether we like it or not, because it is a National Holiday...! :yep:

And to further my point, What is the meaning of Christmas...? The Birth of Jesus = Christianity...!

Makes perfect sense really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackfish)
    And to further my point, What is the meaning of Christmas...? The Birth of Jesus = Christianity...!

Makes perfect sense really
    Ahh...yes but I dont' think Jesus was really born at (or even around) what we know today as 25th December - this was the date of an existing pagan festival and the Christians decided to use guile and cunning to convert the pagan Britons to their religion.

On the other hand when the Christians went to Denmark they brought their religion on the end of a sword.

squish.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.